1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

How Much Security is Too Much?

Discussion in 'WDW Parks General Discussion' started by 21stamps, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Chef Mickey

Chef Mickey Well-Known Member

Who knows...they need a bigger security budget, I think we agree. It's up to them on where to spend for bang for buck.

A fence for the beach areas before the child incident might have seemed like waste too. You can't go crazy, but waiting for the tragedy to hit isn't a good strategy either. They can't be too reactionary.

2. mousehockey37

mousehockey37 Well-Known Member

Well, the beach tragedy was a culmination of a lot of things. People feeding wildlife from the bungalows, people being in water that they weren't supposed to be in, etc (again, a complete thread is elsewhere).

Where do you draw the line at crazy? I will agree that you can't wait for something to happen, but if you were to be overly proactive with securing everything, there'd be no getting anywhere in a timely fashion.

Would it be nice to eliminate bag check and metal detectors before heading into the parks? Yes. Is it feasible? No. I'll stand by saying that there's no full proof way to fully secure the parks or resorts, and there may never be.

3. Chef Mickey

I think it's indisputable they need to improve, spend more money, and close some loopholes in the security process that is no where close to crazy at this point. If you don't, we'll agree to disagree.

4. ford91exploder

ford91exploder Resident Curmudgeon

And that it has multiple independent air recyclers and full CBR filtration on the 'fresh' air intake and grenade baffles so people cant just toss a few down the chute so to speak...

5. Matt_Black

Matt_Black Well-Known Member

It never fails to amaze me in these sorts of threads how there's always at least one person who gives the terrorists ideas!

6. 21stamps

21stamps Well-Known Member Original Poster

I don't think they need help. If we haven't noticed, their ideas and actions are a lot more sick and twisted than to do anything like that. They want the full on Shock, Horror, and WTH reaction, these things are just as important to them as the actual killings themselves.

Angel Ariel and ford91exploder like this.
  7. ford91exploder

Um - those were tips on how to secure Chef's bunker from all possible threats as I have some experience in bunkers 'hardened structures' for corporate disaster recovery scenarios.

8. Disney.Mike

Disney.Mike Active Member

I really dont see Disney as a prime target. Any organization knows if they were to hit a spot like Disney World, every developed nation on Earth would form a coalition to destroy them. Not just some done strikes, and limited boots on the ground, but full scale mobilization. ISIS knows if they did that, in a generation, no one would remember they even existed.

Also, there will always be a large bottleneck, 5000 people could be killed at the bottleneck that is the entrance to the bag check lines.

At best, they are moving the bottlenecks out, and maybe thinning it, but there isnt enough room to make it not be a MASSIVE group of people who are waiting to be screened.

9. Disney.Mike

Disney.Mike Active Member

You mean airport security, like the TSA? The group that has failed every inspection they have subjected to?

10. Matt_Black

Whatever you say, COMRADE....

ford91exploder likes this.
  11. ford91exploder

:rolleyes:

12. AndyS2992

AndyS2992 Well-Known Member

And I agree, except for Disney not being a target, Disney World not so much but Disneyland Paris is very much on ISIS's radar. Bomb squads have been brought in to deal with suspicious packages and weapons found in luggage several times over the last two years.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...champs-elysees-christmas-market-a7436441.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...g-alert-over-suspicious-package-a7183526.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...fter-two-guns-found-in-suitcase-a6839381.html

13. larryz

larryz Well-Known Member

I'd think the hard part would be keeping someone else from using your client's air intake as a toilet.

ford91exploder likes this.
  14. ford91exploder

The oldest trick in the book, Spikes just like old school cast iron fences.

15. Chef Mickey

No, I only mean the spirit of airport security where supposedly every bag and person is checked. Disney will have to execute much better.

The TSA is a disaster because it's run by the government. Disney could do a far better job.

16. 21stamps

17. ProtoProto

ProtoProto Member

Have they installed bag checks and security monitors at the Disney water parks? I mean if we're gonna have it all the four main parks why not have it at the water parks?

21stamps likes this.
  18. 21stamps

This is always an odd thing to me- my local amusement park has bag check/metal detectors.. but the water park does not. Doesn't make sense. I am for bag checks/metal detectors at parks.. I'm just always astonished by the places where it is seen as necessary or not. I don't understand the rhyme or reason behind it.

ProtoProto likes this.
  19. Matt_Black

Well, I can kinda rationalize it. If someone enters a water park and then doesn't change into something that would show a lot of skin, there's a good chance that security is going to keep an eye on that person. Bathing suits aren't really good for concealing weapons. "Is that a revolver in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"

21stamps likes this.
  20. 21stamps

That's what I always kind of think too, but- then I think about the large beach bags that everyone is carrying.

I don't know, in this new age of security it just seems strange to me. Water parks are crowded, especially where there's hundreds of lounge chairs and people place their beach bags on them/next to them.