How Much money do Cast members make

Einselen

I am paid $7.00/hr and make approx $300-$500 each week before taxes. Benefits are good and I do not have many restrictions.

Maybe I misheard then and also slightly was misunderstood I believe. I think he was referring to that food prices are still high in park even with employee discount due to such a large markup to being with. Also due to Disney being where it is located and having such large amount of land in order to drive off property and get food somewhere else you don't have time.

PaisleyMF

CM have a kinda decent cafeteria (at least on MK) prices are similar as anyplace outside Disney.

Some other perks (entrance, discounts, and others) are pretty good.

tycho40

Hmmm, things must have changed. When I was a CP Lifeguard in 2003, I made just as much as everyone else in the College Program -- somewhere around $6.25/hr.

I always thought we should get a little more, being directly responsible for people's lives and all, and the possibility of getting skin cancer. :)

Fantasia freak

a bus driver, working 60 hrs a week makes about $550 a week before taxes and insurance, and union dues, and takes home about $440 a week when starting out at $9.35/hr. And under our current contract, it takes 10 years to get up to $15/hour, and then another 20 years to get up to $20/hr. we have bus drivers that have been with disney since 2 weeks before the place opened back in 71, and they make less than $15/hr.

sissa216

Hmmm, things must have changed. When I was a CP Lifeguard in 2003, I made just as much as everyone else in the College Program -- somewhere around $6.25/hr.

I always thought we should get a little more, being directly responsible for people's lives and all, and the possibility of getting skin cancer. :)

I was a CP in 2003, and only made $6.00/hr. So you got a quarter more than the rest of us :lol: But maybe we deserved more too...you'd never believe the kind of dust and nastyness you'd find in space mountain :lookaroun

Since1976

WDW is a great place to work...if you're in college or retired. Kinda like McDonald's.

That said, I am seriously considering doing a stint at WDW when I retire 30 years from now.

sweetpee_1993

We talked to a very nice older gentleman who was a security guard at AK last trip. We took pics with him in his colorful uniform. We asked him if Disney was a good company to work for because we plan to come there in our retirement to work. He said we needed to be careful to put our plans together early in life because working there is a hobby, not a way to provide a living. He loves Disney, too, so being there isn't something he has to do, it's something he wants to do. He was a great guy. We thoroughly enjoyed our chat with him. I hope we brought a smile to his day, too.

CMs are in the same boat with a lot of professions in this country. Teachers, law enforcement, military...so many people who do so much to contribute to our society and ensure our safety...yet they are paid so little. It's a shame.

I worked in law enforcement for 4 years. It was the hardest work I ever did, my family had to deal with so much with my being gone working around the clock, and I made so little. The benefits weren't very good either. Why did I stay? Because I took pride in serving my community.

I like to think there are CMs out there who are like that sweet security guard: there because he wants to be part of the magic that he personally loves.

Lucky

I don't think any differences between what Disney pays lifeguards v. bus drivers v. other jobs depends on Disney management's view of what people "deserve." It has to compete with other employers for people in each of these jobs, and if the market rate for lifeguards is higher than for other jobs, Disney has to pay them more.

jt04

CMs are in the same boat with a lot of professions in this country. Teachers, law enforcement, military...so many people who do so much to contribute to our society and ensure our safety...yet they are paid so little. It's a shame.

I wouldn't count the military in that. If you work hard the compensation (all benefits) is very very good in the military. Yes I speak from personal experience. I can't believe any non-professional would go to work at Disney for the money though unless you are completely committed to getting a degree and advancing that way. It will always be primarily minimum wage and entry level positions. They are never gonna change that. You have to work there because you WANT to work there. I'm off the soap box.....:zipit:

WISH4EE@WDW

Does anyone work on the professional side of the company? Examples like accountants, architects, or engineers? Is the pay still bottom of the barrel for your respective industry or is it at least comparable with other people who have your same experience and/or schooling? Thanks! :wave:

mikesoccer40

I would have to agree with the military being paid well......in the end. I am a career military man and have just passed 20 on my way to 30 years in. When you start the pay is low and the time working is high. But the benefits are unreal (medical, dental, life insurance, college tuition for you, spouse and kids, etc), and eventually with years in pay raises come and rank advancements happen the pay becomes very good. I believe this is most likely true at Disney. The entry level is very low, but through hard work, education, advancement and such you can attain a position that makes it viable to have a career there. Unfortunately we have a new generation who sometimes (not always) wants to start out where their parents are now, not taking into account the years of hard work it took the parents to get to were they are in life.

So basically for all the blather Disney is like most other places, entry level is low pay and with hard work you can move up and make an career.

jiminy.cricket

Does anyone work on the professional side of the company? Examples like accountants, architects, or engineers? Is the pay still bottom of the barrel for your respective industry or is it at least comparable with other people who have your same experience and/or schooling? Thanks! :wave:

I've been wondering about this too!

ImaYoyo

Remember, the term "Cast Member" encompasses anyone that works for the Parks and Resorts segment. Not all Cast Members make squat. I'm VERY happy where I am, and probably would not be making as much doing the same thing for a competitor.

Not to mention, the wages above are STARTING wages. Many people working merchandise make upwards of 12 and 13 dollars per hour after having been here for 5 to 7 years.

How many people work at your local merchandise store, in an entry level position, and after 7 years make 13 dollars an hour?

I firmly believe that starting wages for positions at WDW are in-par with starting wages at other jobs. An employee at McDonalds makes about the same as a QSR Food and Beverage Cast Member at Disney.

But you know what? That employee at McDonalds doesn't get an amazing HMO for 10 bucks a week. That employee doesn't get park admission and tickets for friends and family. They don't get online training approved for credit by the Harvard School of Business. They don't get the networking opportunities that they might here.

Take it from me. Someone that started working for McDonalds as a 14 year old teenager and has moved through all sorts of roles with WDW, into a role that I feel fits me today.

ImaYoyo

no. Drive by 200 Celebration Place or the offices at Saratoga Springs and take a look at all of the cars parked in those locations. That should give you a good idea. But come on a day that I bring my Harley, because my car is a piece of junk (probably because of the neglect DUE to the Harley)...

ImaYoyo

a bus driver, working 60 hrs a week makes about $550 a week before taxes and insurance, and union dues, and takes home about $440 a week when starting out at $9.35/hr. And under our current contract, it takes 10 years to get up to $15/hour, and then another 20 years to get up to $20/hr. we have bus drivers that have been with disney since 2 weeks before the place opened back in 71, and they make less than $15/hr.
Really? Would Andy Keck agree with that? Because I'm pretty sure he can run the numbers... And I believe that this statement is not correct.

WISH4EE@WDW

no. Drive by 200 Celebration Place or the offices at Saratoga Springs and take a look at all of the cars parked in those locations. That should give you a good idea. But come on a day that I bring my Harley, because my car is a piece of junk (probably because of the neglect DUE to the Harley)...

Then my question is, why do you do it? I mean if your a accountant, architect, or engineer you have a degree (I think) and you could go to a hundred corporations and fit in and make a decent wage. So why do you stay? There has to be some perk to the job (benefits, retirement, profit sharing, something), otherwise wouldn't you go somewhere else? I don't imagine the accountants get a whole lot of time in the parks or with the guests so it cannot be because they feel that they're spreading magic is it? I know that these are a bunch of questions, but for some one who is contemplating a career I'd like to know. Thanks so much! :wave:

ImaYoyo

Then my question is, why do you do it? I mean if your a accountant, architect, or engineer you have a degree (I think) and you could go to a hundred corporations and fit in and make a decent wage. So why do you stay? There has to be some perk to the job (benefits, retirement, profit sharing, something), otherwise wouldn't you go somewhere else? I don't imagine the accountants get a whole lot of time in the parks or with the guests so it cannot be because they feel that they're spreading magic is it? I know that these are a bunch of questions, but for some one who is contemplating a career I'd like to know. Thanks so much! :wave:
I think we've had a piece of mis-communication here. The cars in those lots are NICE. My car is 'junk' because I spent 35,000 dollars on my bike, leaving me less than 20,000 for my new car. (and for the record, it's not actually 'junk', it's just not as nice as I could have gone w/o getting a bike instead).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom