How much longer does Siemens have sponsorship with Spaceship Earth?

montyz81

Spaceship Earth never needed to be touched in the first place. I like the new audioanamtronics - but I could have did without Judi Dench and while others seem to like the computer view of the future - its boring and its already outdated.
New anamatronics? More like manikins. The apple garage is a prime example. Sad that he doesn't move. Pathetic actually!

IWantMyMagicBand

The only thing SSE needs is a new narrator, Dench is absolutely awful. An actual ending would be nice, but I'll forgo it to get Jeremy Irons back.
Give me back Walter Kronkite. "For eons....." I can still hear him. I love the descent, would prefer it without the cartoons, and in my head I can still see the twinkly chaser lights of GE lighting.

aladdin2007

Give me back Walter Kronkite. "For eons....." I can still hear him. I love the descent, would prefer it without the cartoons, and in my head I can still see the twinkly chaser lights of GE lighting.

I think your thinking of Horizons :) edit, never mind I know what you meant now about the lights...I was thinking the sparkling GE logo lights at the end of Horizons.

DarthGrady

I'll take Morgan Freeman

That'd be fine too. Just about any skilled voice actor would be better than Judi. James Earl Jones, Ian McKellen, Patrick Stewart, all would be amazing as well.

Or they could always get Gilbert Gottfried if they insist on keeping the ride a cartoony, insufferable farce.

I don't get why spaceship earth needs a sponsor anyway. Sort of makes sense for something like Test Track. But I don't understand the need for sponsorship on SSE.

When it was sponsored by AT&T it tied together pretty well. A communications company sponsoring a ride about communication. Siemens is a conglomerate with hands in many areas of electronics, so the clear link has been muddied quite a bit.

Last edited:

worldfanatic

People always want "what used to be".

Jeremy Irons & Walter Cronkite were fantastic.
But Judi Dench's narration is just fine.
The complaining about her is ridiculous.

I guarantee you years after she's replaced, there'll be people crying & whining about the "new" narration, and longing for "Dench" back.

You don't think so now,
but it WILL happen.

The Incredible Schmulk

I guarantee you years after she's replaced, there'll be people crying & whining about the "new" narration, and longing for "Dench" back.

You don't think so now,
but it WILL happen.
I've only heard recordings of Cronkite, and the Irons narration is the one that was there when I was visiting the park as a kid/teen. There was a bit of a gap between that time and my most recent Disney history, so maybe I've forgotten too much about those earlier visits to have a wistfulness that prevents me from moving on, but I like the Judi Dench narration just fine. I think she has a pleasing voice, and she handles the material well. She's a very accomplished actress who has done her fair share of voice work over a storied career. I don't see the problem, either.

DarthGrady

You don't think so now,
but it WILL happen.

I disagree. I don't mind change when it's for the better. I rode SSE many times with the old Kronkite narration and thoroughly enjoyed it. Yet I thought the Irons version was an improvement, as was that version's techy and inspiring descent over the Tomorrow's Child. But the Dench version got too much wrong. Her idiotic lines and the idiotic descent being the worst of it. I wouldn't mind her as much if they'd at least written her good material.

Much like so many other snafus at my once beloved EPCOT Center over years, they just don't really seem to ever care. Everything is just "that'll do".

FettFan

Nope. We aren't complaining about her specifically. We're complaining abou how something that should have been great turned out so wrong.
Dame Judi is handicapped by a script so horrible and pedantic, as if it were written by a sixth grade dropout.

Cronkite's and Irons' scripts treated the guest like an adult....they weren't dumbed down for the lowest common denominator.

Last edited:

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Poster
"You know the alphabet you learned in school... They invented it" really!!!!!! Is there some other alphabet I should know about? I still remember the horrible disappointment at the ending when there was nothing but a stupid cartoon on my screen. I was expecting something surperior to any other ending for Spaceship Earth.

Nope. We aren't complaining about her specifically. We're complaining abou how something that should have been great turned out so wrong.
Dame Judi is handicapped by a script so horrible and pedantic, as if it were written by a sixth grade dropout.

Cronkite's and Irons' scripts treated the guest like an adult....they weren't dumbed down for the lowest common denominator.
Thank you for pointing this out. It's not so much that her voice itself is the problem, it's that awful script that is written like it's geared for elementary or middle school kids (essentially she sounds like teacher rather than a guide). The Jeremy Irons version is my favorite because I grew up with it but both that (I just listened to it again last night) and the Cronkite version sound much more refined and profound.

Last edited:
"You know the alphabet you learned in school... They invented it" really!!!!!! Is there some other alphabet I should know about? I still remember the horrible disappointment at the ending when there was nothing but a stupid cartoon on my screen. I was expecting something surperior to any other ending for Spaceship Earth.
I don't know what they thought was so wrong with the star field and the city.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom