How long?

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
On our next trip we're planning on going to Universal. I feel shaky just typing that. But seeing my boys have read all the Potter books and seen all the movies, they want to go over and check out the place. How many days will it take to really explore all the Potter stuff and catch a few other rides? THNX

JillC LI

Two days in the parks should cover almost everything. You'll need a 2 park pass at least one of the days if they want to ride the Hogwarts Express. One full day with a 2-park pass would probably enable them to see all the Potter stuff with just a handful of other rides.

GLaDOS

1) I'd take at least 2 full days. You can spend the majority of one day in WWoHP alone if you're thorough.

2) Take the time to see everything Universal has to offer in their parks. There's a lot of great stuff over there. Walt Disney World won't banish you for taking your time and enjoying everything. ;)

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
With the buy 2 days get the third free, I would do that if available, Not sure how you would work the park hopper into that??? You need the hopper or whatever it is called to do the Potter train other then that I wouldn't and have not gotten the hopper tickets.

Here it is. https://www.universalorlando.com/Theme-Park-Tickets/General-Admission.aspx

$194.99 for adults for 3 days park to park and $184.99 for children. Think I would go that route. $50 a head more for park to park for 3 days.

I haven't looked at all the combos you could possible buy but there is enough at Universal to keep busy for 3 days if you have never been there or maybe even if you have been there???? I prefer when parks are open late and I can go back to my room in the afternoon, relax, eat dinner and hit the parks again into the night. All depends on the time of year (hours open) crowds etc. Mid July and you won't like 2-5 in the afternoon. The heat will take it right out of you. Cooler times of year is a different matter.

I don't want to ramble so....
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Florida in summer. Bring on that heat and humidity! It was so funny last trip a few of my friends were down at the same time and came back never, ever again in that heat. I said what heat? It was only 101 with 98% humidity:D

Tinkerkelle

I have 2 boys who love HP but also superheroes, dinosaurs and have fond memories of their Dr Seuss books. We LOVE Disney but had such a ball at Uni on our last trip that we are doing a split stay:7 nights CR at WDW and 7 at HRH at Uni. We will be doing Seaworld and Aquatica as well as taking a look round I Drive 360 during the Uni stay. Onsite at Uni is fab-you walk everywhere, get express passes as part of your resort stay and are so close to I Drive which is good if you don't have a car. If only Uni and Disney would come to sunny and humid Scotland:joyfull:

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
I have 2 boys who love HP but also superheroes, dinosaurs and have fond memories of their Dr Seuss books. We LOVE Disney but had such a ball at Uni on our last trip that we are doing a split stay:7 nights CR at WDW and 7 at HRH at Uni. We will be doing Seaworld and Aquatica as well as taking a look round I Drive 360 during the Uni stay. Onsite at Uni is fab-you walk everywhere, get express passes as part of your resort stay and are so close to I Drive which is good if you don't have a car. If only Uni and Disney would come to sunny and humid Scotland:joyfull:
They are soooo cute!

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
Why, thank you! Don't be fooled by the littlest one, though. He is most likely to be a criminal mastermind when he grows up!! :happy:
My monsters are quite a bit bigger so no Seuss for us. I'm staying off property, got a really good deal on a 4br 3 bath condo. With older kids sharing a room is just too cramped for us.

Tinkerkelle

My monsters are quite a bit bigger so no Seuss for us. I'm staying off property, got a really good deal on a 4br 3 bath condo. With older kids sharing a room is just too cramped for us.

I think I love Seuss landing more than them! But they do love one fish, two fish, especially when they deliberately get us all wet.
My husband doesn't want to drive over there and I'm too much of a goggler at what's going on to drive - better as a passenger! Onsite works but there are so many gorgeous holiday homes. Enjoy!

tribbleorlfl

I would echo what others have said, budget 2 days if you want to do much more than Potter. There's so much to see and explore in both sections of WWoHP that with the crowds you can expect to be going up against, you'll probably not have much time for too many other activities.

Beyond that, it's all up to what your family likes to see if a third day is needed. My son (10) loves HP but doesn't like thrill or overly aggressive rides. At all. I have to bribe him to go on FJ, and sometimes, that doesn't even work. Between him and our toddler, there's frankly not much for us to do (which is why we let our ap's lapse).

Mouse_Trap

3 days minimum to see everything, even a 4th day would not be a chore.

There's far more to see than just Potter, especially if your kids are over the height requirements and like proper thrill rides.

BrerJon

The great thing about Universal is there's so many hidden details and intricate theming that you can spend ages leisurely exploring things. If you just wanted to check list all the attractions you can easily do them all in a couple of days, but when you add in stuff like exploring Camp Jurassic or soaking up the details of New York, there's plenty for third and fourth days too if you find you're really enjoying it there.

I spent an entire afternoon last year just exploring Diagon Alley and watching the various wand effects. I didn't even get round to leaving London before the park shut!

I used to be all about WDW with Universal being a nice side trip, but that has flipped now and nowadays it's Universal that drives my trips, with WDW very much being a nice-to-have instead.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
3 days minimum to see everything, even a 4th day would not be a chore.

There's far more to see than just Potter, especially if your kids are over the height requirements and like proper thrill rides.
My youngest is almost five feet tall and both my boys LOVE. LOVE, Love coasters. Now we're almost thinking about a 4th day. Is there really enough to do?

BrianV

When are you going? We went in January and purchased power passes (with blckout days so you'd need to be going off peak times). With the passes we booked AP rate hotel rooms and actually saved more money than if we'd just bought regular tickets. (And we were going back again late summer when the blackout days end, making it a really good deal--January was without the kids, summer is with them.). But discount rates are never guaranteed and we haven't found decent discounts with the passes for when we go in august.

Seriously consider staying at one of the on site deluxes and you get unlimited express passes good for most rides (except HP) and early entrance to HP.

We could spend days there. The theming is really nice and crazy ADRS 6 months in advance are not needed. Sure, less do to than at wdw. But everything is walking distance and feels convenient.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
THNX! Staying off sight in a condo. Allergies (need a kitchen) and price on condo make it too good a deal to pass up. Dates in Orlando August 1-18 or 19

BrianV

THNX! Staying off sight in a condo. Allergies (need a kitchen) and price on condo make it too good a deal to pass up. Dates in Orlando August 1-18 or 19

You will love universal. In many ways it is what disney was in 1982ish...two parks and 4 hotels. (We arrive the 19th and are staying ONLY at universal for a few days before heading down to Sanibel island.)

Plan on at least 2 days if you don't have express pass. Probably enough and 1 day would be tight but doable if you only cared about HP. I'm pretty sure you can upgrade your ticket to 3 day passes on the day you in the park before you leave on your second day if you want / need a third day but only bought a two day pass. We did that once and while we had issues entering the third day, they apologized no said it was a glitch.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
You may well end up doing 3 or 4 days.we were at ioa saturday and Harry Potter was down first thing so we went straight over to Uni and spent the day there .. Gringotts is awesome

Bairstow

As others have said, it will take you at least 2 days to see all the good stuff if you're first-timers.
Since you have kids, 3 days is not at all unreasonable, especially if they're wanting to do coasters and water rides.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom