How long of a cruise?

BigRedDad

Original Poster
We can't plan a cruise until some things get taken care of. Our hope is that it will be before Summer 2017. We are planning to do a cruise and a week at Disney.

My question is how long of a cruise to take to be able to enjoy the ship?

I like the new itineraries that have 2 days at Castaway Cay. Those are 5 day cruises. Between going to ports and CC, I am not sure how much time is available to enjoy much of what the ship has to offer. The 7 day cruises have at least 1 day at sea giving much more time to explore and enjoy.

What are your thoughts?

belledream

We've done two 4-night cruises where we had one At Sea day. It definitely felt like enough time to enjoy all of the ships amenities by then. Remember, you have time on embarkation day, and before and after the your port days as well. That time adds up, especially if you wake up early and enjoy the peaceful mornings.

If we had gone on itineraries with no sea days, I think it would have definitely felt like we were missing out on some boat time, but it also will depend on how much time you spend at the ports. For instance, we didn't spend all day away from the ship when we visited ports not named Castaway Cay. ;) That time on the ship is also valuable because a lot of people are out and about!

Enjoy planning!

EOD K9

What @belledream said. My wife is a teacher and we have only been able to do three and four night cruises. The extra day at sea gives you plenty of time. We already booked a five night double dip for next summer. We are looking forward to two CC days AND an at sea day.

Last edited:

BigRedDad

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback. Since next Summer will be the trip of a lifetime, we are doing cruise and a week at WDW. A lot of things need to fall in place the right way. I thought 4 days would not be enough on a first cruise and then they came out with the 5-day cruise with 2 days at CC. That seems like a good compromise between a 7-day and 4-day cruise.

Our plan would be to get to PC the day before which would allow us to check-in early the next morning. After it is over, it would not be a huge rush to WDW because we have been many times and it will be 9-10 days there.

ChuckElias

In general, the longer the cruise, the more you will enjoy and get to know the ship. I would rather do 7 nights than 5 nights (with the POSSIBLE exception of the Castaway Cay double-dip). I would rather do 5 nights than 4 nights. I would rather do 4 nights than 3 nights. But I would take 3 nights if that was all my schedule and/or budget allowed.

The 7 day feels right about the perfect length.
That's only because you haven't done a 10-night :)

EOD K9

In general, the longer the cruise, the more you will enjoy and get to know the ship. I would rather do 7 nights than 5 nights (with the POSSIBLE exception of the Castaway Cay double-dip). I would rather do 5 nights than 4 nights. I would rather do 4 nights than 3 nights. But I would take 3 nights if that was all my schedule and/or budget allowed. :)
I agree. Anything is better than nothing. We just booked a CC double dipper for next June. We are finally breaking out of the 3 or 4 night rut (not really a rut on DCL, but you get my point) by going for 5 nights.

BigRedDad

Original Poster
Since this will be our first cruise and our first trip of a life time, I looked at a 7-day cruise initially. Then, when they came out with the 5-day with 2 days at CC, it made me think a little more on that plan.

All that is happening now are thoughts and nothing more. We cannot book until a major issue is resolved first and there is no definitive end in sight. Initial thoughts is that it should end within 18 months at the far end, but it could go much further out.

ChuckElias

Since this will be our first cruise and our first trip of a life time, I looked at a 7-day cruise initially. Then, when they came out with the 5-day with 2 days at CC, it made me think a little more on that plan.
5 nights with 2 stops at Castaway Cay is probably the best option for a first-timer, actually. That way, if you don't really LOVE it, you're not locked into 7 nights. And you get the best port of call -- twice. It's a fantastic itinerary for a lot of reasons.

Hope your major issue is resolved sooner, rather than later. Life happens, I guess, but it stinks when it gets in the way of a Disney cruise ;)

BigRedDad

Original Poster
Basically all of our savings and emergency funds have been wiped from a car accident. Have to wait for litigation to play its course until we can recover all the money we put out. But that is a whole other story that I cannot discuss until it is over.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom