How long before they start charging for Star Wars Weekends?

FettFan

Original Poster
Look with everything happening now (Epcot Liquor Unwind Party Drunky Thang), I am honestly dreading that ,with a new set of (probably terrible because JJ Abrams is mostly terrible) movies currently in production, Disney Orlando will take the horrible next step by charging an additional fee for SWW. You can see the parade and dance party thing, but unless you buy the SWW ticket, that's the end of your experience.

And why stop there? Once they've successfully fleeced SWW, they'll start putting up crowd control barriers across New York Street each winter and make you pay an extra $50 to see the Osborne lights.

ninjaprincesst

I was thinking the same thing, with the new unwind get drunk thing and the Halloween and Christmas parties , I can't believe Star Wars Weekends don't already have an upcharge.

PrincessMia

Star Wars Weekends look awesome and I'm surprised they haven't been extended. I work for a huge publically traded company and the pressures from Wall Street to continually show growth are super intense. Whether we, as consumers, like it, Disney is a business an they MUST continually make __% more money year on year or shareholders won't buy their stock. I won't get too off on a tangent about ridiculous expectations of Wall Street...
Slightly off topic, I wouldn't pay extra for the Osborne lights. I liked it, but will be there that time this year and don't really care if we don't get to see them again.

CP_alum08

My guess is next year. They will start with an "exclusive event" that is hard ticket and slowly move everything under that banner.

Honestly I think now that they've gotten to the $99 mark for a single day ticket they will start charging more for additional things, that way they don't have to go into the dangerous waters of $100+ per day. And sadly, I see FP on that list of additional things soon :(

danlb_2000

Premium Member
My guess is next year. They will start with an "exclusive event" that is hard ticket and slowly move everything under that banner.

Honestly I think now that they've gotten to the $99 mark for a single day ticket they will start charging more for additional things, that way they don't have to go into the dangerous waters of $100+ per day. And sadly, I see FP on that list of additional things soon :(

I "like" this post in that I agree that this is what will probably happen, but I don't like it.

Killnme

When it does happen, it will be a darn shame, and probably mark my retirement for going to theme parks for good. I know it won't matter to Disney, but this is the first year we won't go to SWW b/c they retired the Hyper Space Hoopla (Disney says they retired it so they can put on the fireworks show. I think it was a cost cutting move for more profits).

Club Cooloholic

Look with everything happening now (Epcot Liquor Unwind Party Drunky Thang), I am honestly dreading that ,with a new set of (probably terrible because JJ Abrams is mostly terrible) movies currently in production, Disney Orlando will take the horrible next step by charging an additional fee for SWW. You can see the parade and dance party thing, but unless you buy the SWW ticket, that's the end of your experience.

And why stop there? Once they've successfully fleeced SWW, they'll start putting up crowd control barriers across New York Street each winter and make you pay an extra $50 to see the Osborne lights.
Your right, they could easily make it like the MSSHP, close the park early and charge an extra 50 bucks for a Star Wars party that runs 7 to midnight. They could have a special parade just for that as well as star wars meet and greets....ugh. But maybe they will see that it's a little different, Star Wars is something they want to promote with the kids and by making special weekends out of it they sell a ton of merch that maybe they would not if they were charging for a hard ticket.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
When it does happen, it will be a darn shame, and probably mark my retirement for going to theme parks for good. I know it won't matter to Disney, but this is the first year we won't go to SWW b/c they retired the Hyper Space Hoopla (Disney says they retired it so they can put on the fireworks show. I think it was a cost cutting move for more profits).

I think they got rid of it because with the new movies coming out they want to cut down on things that parody Star Wars and show it in a humorous light. I think this is the same reason they put the Star Wars Detours show on hold.

CP_alum08

I think they got rid of it because with the new movies coming out they want to cut down on things that parody Star Wars and show it in a humorous light. I think this is the same reason they put the Star Wars Detours show on hold.
Agreed. This the first year Disney owns Star Wars for SWW, which means they are looking at the franchise different.

FettFan

Original Poster
And now there's this: Feel The Force Premium Package

$53 for an adult to have ....."premium" parade viewing and a dessert reception after the fireworks show....and that's all.

Not only does this sound like a scam, but it sounds like they're testing the waters before they inevitably close off part of the park and charge an extra $53 for SWW.

wendysue

It might matter.... When we go to WDW, it's my husband and I, a couple cousins and their families, 2 friends and their families, so it's usually about 20 of us. We have all decided that this year most likely is the last going to WDW. We had bought park tickets from UT before the last increase, and we will use those, but after that, we will find something a bit cheaper to amuse ourselves with. Too many EXTRA charges. :greedy: I don't doubt that they will start charging for ME soon or bus passes to get around the parks, as well as SWW. I know it must be extremely expensive to keep it all running, and we had some terrific vacations, but we've reached our limit. Oh well...:cry:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom