How long a walk from on-site hotels to parks?

DisneyDaver

Original Poster
I have booked a res at the Disneyland Hotel, but my wife thinks (and I agree) the most important factor for us (with a 20 month old) should be distance to the park. From the map the Disneyland Hotel appears that it may be the farthest walk, but it is hard to tell. I'm done some googling, but can't seem to find a clear answer.

What is approximate walking time from each of the 3 on-site hotels to each of the 2 parks? If proximity is most important, should we switch to stay at the Grand Californian? We will likely spend 2 days at Disneyland Park and 1 day at California Adventure.

Darkbeer1

The longest walk is the Paradise Pier Hotel to the center of the Main Entrance Plaza, using the Front Desk as a starting point. (Using the ESPN Zone security check) 2/3'rd of a mile

Disneyland Hotel, half a mile.

Grand Californian, 1/4 of a mile, using the Sephora security check.

But you could add 1/10 of a mile depending on where in the Hotel you stay, such as the DVC Villas at the GCH, or the Frontier Tower at the DLH.

The closest Lodging is the Park Vue Inn and the Best Western Plus Park Place Inn and Mini Suites at 1/5th of a mile.

So it is the Park Vue Inn if any Hotel, or the GCH staying in the Downtown Disney area of the Hotel if you want a Disney property.

BubbaQuest

If you can afford the difference and distance is important, I'd move to GCH. I think DLH is the better hotel, but I find the walk through Downtown Disney exhausting. It's definitely nicer than the walk on Harbor Blvd, but sometimes I just want to get back to the hotel without fighting every window shopper around me :)

Don't forgot you can take the monorail to/from DLH to ease some of the walking. It won't be any faster, but possibly more relaxing. You can also walk through the GCH to get to DCA.

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

First off, the GCH is undergoing a major refurb in 2017.

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/recreation/grand-californian-hotel/pools-grand-californian-hotel/

>>
Please Pardon Our Pixie Dust

From January 2017 to spring 2017, the pools and poolside cabanas at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa will be closed for refurbishment. The pools and waterslides at the Disneyland Hotel and Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel will be available for your enjoyment. Also, reservations for poolside cabanas at Disneyland Hotel will be available.

In addition, from June 2017 through early August 2017, the Great Hall lobby will be refurbished and access will be limited. Some rooms will not be available during this time.

It is possible that from January 2017 through fall 2017 you may see and hear construction. To minimize any disruptions, we will not start activities that may create noise until 9:00 AM.<<

As for the Monorail,it is not always running, and has a slow capacity per hour, and why most Disney Hotel Guests use the Main Entrance.

Same for the GCH entrance to DCA. First off, only GCH guests can do use it (a recent change from all 3 Disney Hotels), second, due to design issues, they can't open security until the park opens, so why many guests head to the Main Entrance Plaza instead, where they can undergo the Security Check before park opening, and that many more turnstiles are open when Extra Magic Hour starts.

BubbaQuest

First off, the GCH is undergoing a major refurb in 2017.

Wow good catch. With that announcement, if you are planning on going June thru August, I'd avoid ALL the Disney hotels. With the lobby closed, Downtown Disney is going to be a nightmare.

And double Wow, when did they change the DCA entry to GCH only?? That's a new one to me, and not to get too far off topic, but what's the point of staying at Paradise Pier now?

Darkbeer1

Wow good catch. With that announcement, if you are planning on going June thru August, I'd avoid ALL the Disney hotels. With the lobby closed, Downtown Disney is going to be a nightmare.

And double Wow, when did they change the DCA entry to GCH only?? That's a new one to me, and not to get too far off topic, but what's the point of staying at Paradise Pier now?

The new security process on the West Side has a lot of benefits, but then in the theme of winners and losers.. (The DCA entrance change for the GCH was mid-December when the Security changes took effect)

Winners - Disneyland Hotel, less wait to go through security.
Grand Californian Hotel - a calmer hotel and common areas.

Losers - Downtown Disney locations that want to attract Locals
Paradise Pier Hotel due to the longer walk.
Off-Property Hotels near the corner of Katella and Disneyland Drive/West St due to the longer walk

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom