How fast are the races filling up compared to the past?

Greenlawler

Original Poster
Just curious,

Two Things:

1. Does anyone keep up with how fast each race sells out?

I have always thought the fastest selling races were in order,..

1. WDW Marathon Weekend Half Marathon
2. The Princess Weekend Half Marathon
3. The Wine and Dine Half Marathon
4. WDW Marathon Weekend 5k
5. Disneyland Dumbo Challenge
6. WDW Marathon Weekend 10k
7. The Princess Weekend Glass Slipper Challenge
8. The Princess Weekend Enchanted 10k
9. Disneyland Half Marathon
10. The Dopey Challenge

2. Dumbo is still not sold out as of today, that's crazy have any other races been slower to sell this year? Are we finally getting to the price breaking point?

Mad Stitch

If you page through the threads someone would post when the race has sold out. That is going to be tougher now that it is not displayed on the front page anymore.

DL is suffering from over saturation and high entry prices. I think that they added Avengers and Star Wars too quickly. When a race is added to the line up they need at least 2 years for the inaugural novelty to wear off and see if it cannibalizes the other races. Dumbo will sell out. The DL Half alone may not since the Avengers did not sell out.

Last edited:

dreamfinder

As @Mad Stitch said, I tried to post updates as to sell out percentages (with some other members generously helping) until runDisney took them off their site. So if you dig through the threads for the races, you could see the data for the older races. It's a bit tough to break down the historical trends at this point though. A few years ago when they added the Dopey challenge they started adding the 10k to other events weekends along with the challenges. The challenges would skew any data. 5k registration used to stay open until a month or two (sometimes a week or two) the event weekend, but now the 5k/10k at Marathon weekend sells out before any other event, simply because so many bibs are allocated to the Dopey challenge.

I think this year the non challenge races have been tough sells (I'm surprised Dumbo is still open) Star Wars Dark Side and Tink were both still open at Christmas (they were trying to convince people to buy bibs as holiday gifts) and I think those opened early Aug and late Sept respectively. And I know the full was open pretty close to race day, don't recall the exact sell out though. I agree with @Mad Stitch that DLR added races way to fast. While DLR is an awesome resort, I don't think it's as easy for people to justify building a full trip just around a race, and there are lots of races in that general area they need to compete with. DLR historically would sell out pretty fast, I think primarily from people trying for the C2C medals (WDW had 5? races that counted while DLR only had 2) and now with almost total parity, the demand just isn't there I don't think. Factor in the increasing costs ($200+ for a half $120?!?!?! for a 10k) and it's less and less attractive. Other races are doing multi day/multi event challenge type combos now, so it's not at cool as it once was. With the slowly growing field sizes the courses are becoming really hard for mid/back of pack runners to enjoy large parts of the course, and the competitive runner has lots of other faster/local/less congested/cheaper/whatever events to choose from.

Texas84

Looks like last year was the end of the rapid sell-outs, but they are also squeezing in more runners now. They were making a big deal out of 'most runners ever' over Marathon Weekend and DLR Star Wars.

BrianV

Any guess as to.how fast the wine and dine 1/2 will sell out? Struggling with whether to run this as my first 1/2 marathon or wait until a future year and run a local one as my first (which would cost a whole lot less!)

Texas84

Any guess as to.how fast the wine and dine 1/2 will sell out? Struggling with whether to run this as my first 1/2 marathon or wait until a future year and run a local one as my first (which would cost a whole lot less!)

I think it was a few hours last year.

(Edit: Looking back in the W&D thread, might have been less than an hour.)

surfsupdon

Wine and Dine filled up quite fast last two years....I too wonder how it will fare this year. Especially with all of the news and rumors surrounding the event.

BrianV

Wine and Dine filled up quite fast last two years....I too wonder how it will fare this year. Especially with all of the news and rumors surrounding the event.

I'm, can you direct me to the rumors? Not trying to open a new can of worms. I've just never run it and didn't know of any rumors. (Beyond the weather conditions!)

surfsupdon

Some runDisney races are still open.

Sure, Wine & Dine sold out quite fast, but you can still purchase spots for Disneyland Half and SuperHereos. Things aren't as crazy as they once were, maybe. I am most surpised about the DLand half and challenges still open.

twinkles76

Gday

The excitement and hope has got the better of me.. How long has the dopey taken to sell out in the past and the prediction this year in your opinion.. My wife and I will be up at 2am local time hoping to get a spot in the dopey and hopefully all is not wasted..

dreamfinder

Gday

The excitement and hope has got the better of me.. How long has the dopey taken to sell out in the past and the prediction this year in your opinion.. My wife and I will be up at 2am local time hoping to get a spot in the dopey and hopefully all is not wasted..

As mentioned above, your best bet will be to page through the event specific threads and see when races were reported as sold out. It was easier in the past since they used to post percentages, but a few of us are trying to post when they are sold out, it just no longer has an indicated of how long it hovered at a given percentage.

If you are trying at the exact time it goes on sale, and are already logged in to an active.com account (each person much do their own reg on their own account now, you cannot register someone else) you should be ok. Last year Dopey sold out at some point during the evening, the last update we had on Tuesday night was 99%, and then Wednesday morning it bumped to sold out. The pre-reg sellouts are pretty much in line with last year, Dopey, 10k and 5k sold out within an hour, so I'd guess the normal on sale should be similar.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom