How does the launch system work on RnR?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Originally posted by cloudboy
Can be complicated, as there is not a lot of down to earth material out there on them. But in essence (and someone correct me if I am wrong on this)...

I guess that isn't that clear, is it?

That sounds about right (I think - I failed physics..)

paulcmartens

Account Suspended
welll

Well, I aced college physics, and you've intrigued me there.

It looks like (according to you) that CS is then LIM (Which I always thought it was but whatever).

I was just there, just came back...and there is no cable system, rather, just white rectangles with space for two (or is it three now?) tongues (I didn't bring my camera...maybe next time I will).

Anyway, fyi, they are running the wave machine if anyone cared :)

cloudboy

That woud be electronics - supposedly they say they are like different kinds of motors laid out flat. I only tried to figure it out because I was interested in MagLev Trains. It sounds like a LIM motor, though.

It is interesting about the reliability issue. Fewer moving parts should mean less to break, but there are constant problems. Does anyone know exactly what kind of problems they are all having?

paulcmartens

Account Suspended
I love maglev trains

...I love maglev trains...have you seen video to thyssengroup's trains in China? Wonderful. If only Florida had sanctioned those instead of bombardiers jet trains.

The problems actually had little to do with the LIM themselves on California Screamin' although they initially thought they were the issue. Eventually, they tried running less trains. It started working far more consistently and had almost no problems. Now they only run 5 at any given time and things are fine according to Cast Members.

There also was a comment about how Drag Thrill wasn't working very well.

Keep in mind that's a hydraulic system and the first one in the world in application at a park (with cable I believe)..different from Cali, different from RNR different from Paris Space. New systems always have bugs. New technologies always break down.

Also note that the decoration tires were a problem, not the ride system only. So let's not rumor monger here!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
paulcmartens:

Off topic, but do you have a link for the Chinese MagLev video? Saw an article about it last week and want to know more! Thanks.

ogryn

Top Thril Dragster was Intamin's second rocket coaster was it not. Xcelerator being the first. We are meant to be getting two in the UK by 2006, so I hope they are more reliable by then.

Also I thought the launch on DLP's Space Mountain involved droping a big weight into a hole, which moved the cables, propelling the car up the hill.

CoasterJunkie @ http://www.thrillnetwork.com/boards/archive/index.php/t-26999
Here's how they work:

LIMs: When a piece of metal passes through a magnetic field, a current is induced. This principle is used all the time in your home with transformers (the big, box outlet plug-ins), but those are rotery induction moters since they spin. What those do is change AC current to DC current. When the power supplied to the magnets in the transformer turns on and off quickly (AC current) then the metal coil in between the two batteries spin. Now if you take that and lay it out flat, you get a linear induction motor. Two magnets are placed on top of each other on the side of the track, leaving a space in between. When a metal fin attached to the train passes through the magnetic field created, it "rides" the magnetic field. AC current is aplied which creates a wave for the fin to ride. LIM powered coasters use multiple sets of magnets on both sides to power their rides. An Example of a LIM Powered ride is Flight of Fear at Paramount's Kings Island and Kings Dominion.

LSMs: Linear Synchornous Motors use more basic magnet theory, attraction and repulsion. Strong, permanent, rare-earth (come out of the ground magnatized) magnets are attached to the train. On the track are electro-magnets. As the train approaches one of the track-magnets, the track-meagnet is set to attract the magnets on the train, pulling the train forward. After the train-magnets pass over the track-magnet, the track-magnet is set to repel the train magnet, which pushes the train along. The are multiple sets of electro-magnets on the track and must be fired in sequence in order to propel the train to top speed. An example of a LSM powered ride is Superman: The Escape at Six Flags Magic Mountain.

Hope that helps.

Don't forget that many modern coasters also use Earth Magnets for slowing the cars down (as well as Drop Towers). The theory being that unless the polarity of the earth changes, there is no way that the cars will not stop. Intamin seem to be leading the way with this, and Fabbri have also used Intamins breaks on drop-towers

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Nope - DLP SM uses a motorised return run cable loop.

ALton Towers (UK) had a ride called the Thunder Looper up until 1997 that did a catapult launch using a dropped weight (inside the West tower) for propulsion.

ogryn

Originally posted by marni1971
Nope - DLP SM uses a motorised return run cable loop.

ALton Towers (UK) had a ride called the Thunder Looper up until 1997 that did a catapult launch using a dropped weight (inside the West tower) for propulsion.

Ah, that's where I'm getting muddled up. :hammer: Thanks for correcting me :)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Originally posted by paulcmartens
o.k....

WDW magic says there is...marni says there isn't...(a pusher system).

RCDB says no pusher in RNR but in SM ETM at DLP.

There definately is a pusher car running on separate rails on RnR. The LSM effect works on the pusher car, which inturn propels the actual coaster train along its track.
Next time you are there, wait for a launch, wait around 15 seconds, and you will see it return back to the start position. It is pretty big, you wont miss it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I (think) they all have pushers (I know RnR and DLP SM do) but its what pushes the pushers (if you know what I mean) that is different!

- thought I did say that! :lol:

paulcmartens

Account Suspended
Cool.

I wonder why the didn't do that sort of launch for California Screamin?

I know tech. there are two launches at that track.

Hmph...something to ask an imagineer one day!

paulcmartens

Account Suspended
I think I'll call Glendale.

You know what...I'll bet that you need a catapult because there is such a short distance...CS is soooo long....that launch.

ogryn

Originally posted by wdwmagic
What was your question to them?

AAARGH!! I have backstage details of everything BUT RnR!! In desperation, I have emailed WDW guest services.... lets see what that brings (they have been helpful before!) At least it will be from the horses mouth. As they say.

I remember seeing the shuttle on RnRC at Paris.

Looking at the on-ride video for California Screamin' it does look like LIM. Plus the second "lift" on it wouldn't work if there was a shuttle, it would have to fully stop, wait to connect, then continue up the lift. With the current LIM system they can simulate an old-fashioned lift-hill.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
RESPONSE FROM WDW

Got an email this morning from Guest Relations:

`The launch system for Rock N Roller Coaster is Linear Syncronous motors.`

From the horses mouth!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom