How do you open an RAR file of pictures?

prberk

Original Poster
Do you all know anything about how to open this file extension? These were pictures sent to me from a friend, who got them from a student’s parents who live in China.

I am a youth director for a church here in Virginia, and an exchange student has been among our group for the last two years, and as part of his graduation I want to include him in our slideshow celebration. But I do not want him to know about it. So, we contacted his parents through an interpreter, and they sent us these pics in the .rar format. I cannot open them, but I do not want to ask them to send them again in a different format. It was difficult enough to get these.

I am using a Windows 7 OS on my laptop, and it says Windows itself cannot open them. I would like a reliable, simple way to do it. Let me know what you think. I am open to PMing someone a link to the drop-box he put them in, in case that helps. Let me know.

Thanks

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The only .rar format I know of is a compressed file format similar to .zip. The link @trr1 posted will take you to a program that can open it.

prberk

Original Poster
Thanks. I will try it at home tonight and let you all know what happens.

I think he will be surprised if I include pictures of his own childhood in China along with the modern pictures I have as part of his graduation slideshow. I usually do it for all of the kids, but I am sure he will think I do not have anything from before we met him. I am also thinking about trying to get his parents to send him a video greeting in Chinese to start off the slideshow. I think that would be surprising and cool for everyone.

What I would really like is to get them live on Skype to say something at the party, but that might be too hard to pull off. (They talk to him on Skype, so I know that they can do that at least with him, but they do not know English like he does; so surprising him might be hard. But it wold be cool.)

By the way, I find it surprising that he can communicate to them on Skype, but Facebook is banned in China, at least where he lives. Funny.

prberk

Original Poster
Thanks. I went home last night and just crashed. I was tired and actually forgot to do it! (Have you ever had all the intentions of doing something, and well, went sleep instead? LOL. ) Will do it tonight. Can't do it at work. Thanks again for all of the suggestions. I will let you know what happens... if I don't go to sleep again!! :happy::joyfull:

prberk

Original Poster
The coolest thing was getting to see the pictures of our exchange student growing up in China. And his parents were obviously so proud.

Until meeting this young man, who is actually named Chenjun, but who insists that we call him "Frank," the American name that they gave him for the exchange, my real exposure to China really was primarily from EPCOT. In fact I have always wanted to take him to Disney World to see what he thought.

Anyhow, though, it has been a real blessing knowing him for these two years. I have learned a lot. He was relieved at how much more free time he had in school here (a good thing?). He also explained what he was taught about China's relationship to Taiwan, and it helped me understand a little more about their perspective vis-a-vis Taiwan's. I have also had an interesting discussion with him on capitalism vs. freedom as motivating factors for Americans. He had kept using the word "capitalism" when comparing to China's communist background. And it dawned on me that he thought of that as the main difference and motivating factor in the American perspective and government. It made for a good conversation, as I explained that, while capitalism was in fact our economic system, most Americans would not ever really think about it as a motivating factor to them for patriotism -- that instead the motivating factor was freedom. Yes, I said, that capitalism (and particularly property ownership) was a tool and factor in working out how freedom translated to government, but that freedom was the motivating factor that Americans cherished and would cite a hundred times more than capitalism as something that was important to them. It made for an interesting conversation, as he talked about it. He talked about coming back here for college, and perhaps moving here; while in the same breath talking with reverence about the values that he grew up with. It also became most clear that his family life, while different and influenced by the culture, was also remarkably similar to the hopes and dreams and aspirations that we all have. He recently had to do a "senior presentation" at school (a 20-minute speech about something important to him), and he spoke about perspectives and truth -- largely that truth was larger than our temporary or imcomplete perspectives. It was a wonderful speech, and as part of it he opened up about his feelings at first when his parents told him he was coming to America for a year (at first). He said he was a little fearful and wondered why his mother, if she loved him, would have wanted to send him away for so long and so far. But he now knew that she wanted the best for him, and for him to have experiences she would never have gotten. His parents are people of modest means, and the cost of transportation and living here was huge to them, but worth it for his growth.

So, in opening and seeing these pictures, of him growing up, the story was made so complete -- and I was moved by seeing a family so far away, but yet so close. I saw a parents and a kid and his friends at the park. I saw a kid smiling at his birthday, and hanging from monkeybars. I saw proud parents with their child visiting a national monument (the Great Wall). And at the end of the file, I was moved again with pictures they had sent showing him in America -- pictures that I had taken and shared some time with him, and which he had shared with his parents as important. Clearly they did not know that I had taken these couple of pics, but it meant a lot to me that he had shared them with his parents with enough attention that they included them in a file of pictures about his life.

What a blessing.

Thanks for helping me open these pictures -- and open my perspective even more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom