How do you kep your stroller from being stolen?

buseegal

i would be more worried about stroller being damaged on plane than stolen at Disney. way strollers are handled by airport workers not good even with gate checking i have seen them fall from belt going on to plane and just being thrown on belt. that would be where i would be worried about taking my own stroller.

Weather_Lady

Similar discussion here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/stroller-id-advice-works-great.861283/

In fact a suggestion on how not to have your stroller stolen is near the bottom that about made die earlier when I read it (of laughter).

Cut-and-pasted here: I've never used a stroller at Disney World, but I read this little tip to keep your stroller from getting stolen (apparently this does happen sometimes) or swiped by someone who can't find their own: add a "fake dirty diaper" to it by placing a clean diaper, drizzled with cola, inside a clear plastic shopping bag. Knot the bag, and then loop it prominently around the stroller handle. Voila -- a stroller that nobody wants to steal! :D

EDIT: I see someone else already included this above. Sorry for the repetition.

Mawg

If a thief wants to steal a stroller it seems they can find better places than one that charges $100 to get in and has a few security cameras around and you have to exit back out a gate with more security. I think most stroller theft is due to mistake in identity. Swiping things out of a stroller by a dishonest vacationer with a shoplifting addiction is probably much more common, so take you valuables with you.

meyeet

I know we swapped strollers with someone else but didn't realize it till a few days later. It was an almost identical cheap Pooh stroller from Walmart. Hard to tell who's fault since they are always rearranging strollers anyway.

Missy_May

On a trip with my entire family (10 adults and 7 small children) we had one large double stroller and two umbrella strollers. When we left the strollers we would always fold down the umbrellas and hang them on the handle of the larger stroller. One time we came back and found that our brand new umbrella stroller had been swapped with the exact same style stroller that had a wheel broken and was beyond nasty.

Britt

I trust that people aren't total douches at WDW. And if they are douches...the witnesses and kids milling about hopefully prevent it.

Never ever had an issue with it before: )

StarWarsGirl

We had a stroller for 12 years and spent an average of 3 weeks in Disney each of those twelve years. Just don't leave anything valuable on the stroller and you shouldn't have a problem.

Hot Lava

Original Poster
On a trip with my entire family (10 adults and 7 small children) we had one large double stroller and two umbrella strollers. When we left the strollers we would always fold down the umbrellas and hang them on the handle of the larger stroller. One time we came back and found that our brand new umbrella stroller had been swapped with the exact same style stroller that had a wheel broken and was beyond nasty.

So my assumption from this would be that those people saw that it was the same and seized the chance to upgrade their old/yucky version. Sooooo not cool! And really, how could you rely on the CMs to prevent this? People that are willing to steal are also most likely going to be the people that will become aggressive if confronted. It would be like the movie theaters - the young kid working isn't making enough (or given enough power) to take on people like that.

Uncle Remus

I have often been curious about this, even back before we needed one. I would see that sea of strollers outside a ride and wonder.

How much of a problem is this?

I worry about everything, so I worry about this happening. What do you do to prevent it? What do you do if it happens?

I've never heard of a stolen stroller. Ever. I've been going to Disney on a regular basis since 1986. I have been with a friend who thought it was stolen and it was simply moved by a cast member. As he was stomping off to report it to someone I simply looked around and found it for him on the other side of the lunching pad. I've often wondered if some cast members move them far away out of sport. I understand organizing but sometimes it's nowhere near where you left it even in a designated area.

GabeP

Strollers getting stolen at WDW are rare if at all. Now, CM will move them from time to time, since guests often park them in areas they shouldn't. The bigger concern is someone mistakingly thinking yours is theirs since a lot of people have the same stroller, so I agree with the above posters that some kind of 'identifer' will work wonders. Either that or rent one from the parks, or just buy a cheap umbrella stroller before your trip that you can afford to lose. When I was down there with my daughter last year, I left our nice stroller at home and just made do with a $20 umbrella from Babies R Us. It broke on the last day, which was fine because my intent was to trash it anyway.

ExtinctJenn

I've never heard of a stolen stroller. Ever. I've been going to Disney on a regular basis since 1986. I have been with a friend who thought it was stolen and it was simply moved by a cast member. As he was stomping off to report it to someone I simply looked around and found it for him on the other side of the lunching pad. I've often wondered if some cast members move them far away out of sport. I understand organizing but sometimes it's nowhere near where you left it even in a designated area.
I would have to agree that it's more likely anyone who thinks their stroller has been stolen was actually a victim of the CM moving it to a completely different spot. I know on many occasions, even when we put ours perfectly in line with others or in a spot that was vacated by someone pulling theirs out of said line, it still often ended up moved so I'd also have to agree with your curiosity if some CMs do it for fun. LOL! :D

DaveN1996

I too am pleasantly surprised that there do not seem to be a lot of issues with stroller theft... When we took the kiddos for their first trip 2 years back we rented on the first day, but since we had a weeks worth of parks we just went to walmart and bought a simple stroller and had no issues

SAV

Do nothing and don't worry about it...Unless you are bringing a $1000 gold plated stroller to the parks. We did many trips with a stroller and never once was it taken. The easy way to ensure there isn't a mistaken identity is to mark your stroller in some obvious way. We tied a lot of colorful rainbow yarn on the handle so there was no mistaking ours. Others use balloons or the aforementioned diapers.

If you are still worried about it, run a retractable lock through the front wheels so that it can't be pushed away easily. That will still allow the CM's to move it, but it really isn't useful to anyone else.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I wouldn't leave anything valuable in the stroller, but I've never had reason to worry. It's always there. I take comfort in the fact that my stroller is not any nicer than a zillion other strollers parked right next to it. Why would somebody take mine? Now if I had an $800 fancy stroller, i might worry a bit.

If you are worried, however, just buy a cheap umbrella stroller for the trip. They are cheap enough to be virtually disposable (you can buy about 4 for the price of a day in a park), and then there's nothing to worry about.

Hot Lava

Original Poster
I would never leave anything valuable in a stroller. I don't even put my purse in the shopping cart at the grocery store (and really cannot believe the women who do and then walk away from their cart). So that is not an issue with me.

I wouldn't bring an expensive stroller, but I did wonder about whether and how much it happens. Just my nature. o_O

ExtinctJenn

I would never leave anything valuable in a stroller.
To me that's really the bigger issue here. I can't imagine someone would steal a stroller... I just don't see it happening. We went for years with our nice Graco system and it never left us. I think the bigger thing is things being stolen FROM a stroller. That I could see. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom