How do you explain to kids that some characters can't talk?

Sudcaro- Sudcaro

Original Poster
My daughter (she will be almost 4 when we go) knows all classic characters, such as Minnie, Donald, Pooh bear etc... and we hope she'll meet some of them when we visit WDW next December. But of course, the WDW live versions of these characters can't talk, contrary to the cartoon ones.
How did you explain this fact to your young kids? (Knowing her - provided she's not scared of course - she will ask them tons of questions that will be left unanswered... I can smell frustration here).
Ideas? Tips? Thanks! :)

Last edited:

HRHPrincessAriel

I didn't at all when we went this summer at 3.5. She didn't seem to care at all...

Well,she was scared 1st two days and was old pro by day 3

Sudcaro- Sudcaro

Original Poster
Thanks. I guess I'm overthinking that one, lol.
If needed, I guess I can always tell her about some magic spell (a la Little Mermaid, but done by a good fairy, for good reasons!)

Mawg

Just tell them they are really people dressed up in costumes and that Santa isn't real either. Worked for me and I didn't have to buy gifts from Santa anymore...Win, Win

The characters are resting their voice for the next parade or show. They do a lot of talking during them and it makes since if you stick around for the next performance.

MaryJaneP

Our three kids never asked. Youngest (18 months at the time) took cue from older siblings and was hesitant (maybe somewhat scared but never displayed it) and when sibs hugged characters, youngster did too.

Weather_Lady

I never said anything about it to my 4 and 6-year-olds, and they never asked about it. They just seemed to take it in stride that some characters talked and some didn't. The non-talking characters do such a wonderful job communicating in pantomime that I don't think the kids really took any notice of the fact that they weren't speaking audibly.

WhatJaneSays

I’ve only had one of the little ones I’ve brought ask that question. I though fast and told her that all the Disney heroes and villains battle every night for control of the parks so Ursula must have got in a lucky shot last night.

Sudcaro- Sudcaro

Original Poster
I never said anything about it to my 4 and 6-year-olds, and they never asked about it. They just seemed to take it in stride that some characters talked and some didn't. The non-talking characters do such a wonderful job communicating in pantomime that I don't think the kids really took any notice of the fact that they weren't speaking audibly.

Well, that's exactly the way my daughter reacted. I guess I was worried for nothing, lol.

Sudcaro- Sudcaro

Original Poster
Most of these characters are making some noise now. Giggles from Tigger, laughs and kisses from Mickey. It's sort of creepy.

No such thing when we were there 3 weeks ago, and we met the "Fab 6", Tigger and Pooh. Maybe it just depends on the "friend" inside the costume?

Walter Elias Disney

Having the opportunity to have a conversation with Mickey is rather unique and extremely special. I agree that at first It felt odd that he could carry a conversation, but you seem to get pulled into the moment. Mickey is the leader and has the special privilege to talk with all of his guests!

Moedutton

I told my girls that characters can't possibly talk to ALL the children (and adults) at the park or they would certainly lose their voices. Seemed to work so far.....

KordovaJD

I think this is a valid question. Childrens understanding of reality along side make believe is pretty fragile.

We tend not to "lie" to our children in our house. People often laugh at us because we talk to our children like people, not like kids. It has really done wonders for their speech development. Our 3 yo is light years ahead of daycare class in terms of conversation ability.

That said, she is very very literal, so we have to be careful how we say things. We never want to risk shattering her understanding of fantasy. That's basically taking childhood away from here.

I have to agree with the OP here that the thing to do is to create a reality based fantasy to explain. My favorite suggestion is that they're saving their voice for their next big show. As the kids will likely see a show or parade, they will be able to reconcile these two things easily.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom