How do you do it ? $$$

38053WDW

We try and go every three years and partically this is because of cost... I know cost can be what you make of it... offsite or standard/moderate/deluxe Resorts... I read of these two week stays and I think.. how ? We're looking at 8n/9d / BLT / MKV .. airline and tickets (PH of course) for 5 and cha ching!!! This does not even include eating ... I'm just courious on what people spend to go here ... The trip reports are great but then I think 'What did that cost?"

Last edited:
For just me and my daughter, 3 nights at Port Orleans Riverside, dining plan, two day tickets with PH and airfare it was about $2100. I added the MNSSHP tickets at the last second, so that bumped it up a bit.

The airfare is the killer for us. We're a 16h drive, so it's not really economical to drive since we'd have to stay overnight and pay for all that gas anyway. Blows away a vacation day and starts you off in a very jittery state. I investigated taking my entire family (4 people) in May and it was going to be around 3k without airfare, so probably around 5k total.

Upvote 0

stevehousse

For just me and my daughter, 3 nights at Port Orleans Riverside, dining plan, two day tickets with PH and airfare it was about $2100. I added the MNSSHP tickets at the last second, so that bumped it up a bit.

The airfare is the killer for us. We're a 16h drive, so it's not really economical to drive since we'd have to stay overnight and pay for all that gas anyway. Blows away a vacation day and starts you off in a very jittery state. I investigated taking my entire family (4 people) in May and it was going to be around 3k without airfare, so probably around 5k total.
If u r lookin to save more money driving even if it's long distance will save u money, but it also helps to have a second adult along that can drive, that way you can do it in one long sweep, taking turns on and off sleeping.

We did this last year for our trip. We r from chcago, so we left at about 10pm, and drove straight through taking turns sleeping or driving. The kids slept all night and were fine during the day for the drive. Costs us a total of $450 round trip to drive compared to the $1000-1200 it would have cost to fly...

Upvote 0

DisneyDelirious

Super structures are my specialty!
Premium Member
@stevehousse It's seasonal and only select dates, but for fall/ winter trips you can get dirt cheap flights on Frontier if you are willing to drive a bit. Direct from Bloomington (BMI) to Orlando (MCO.). Free parking as well. We are downstate, but wife is from Park Ridge so I know the drive isn't terrible from the city.

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

There are only 3 of us and one is a child for 1 more visit. We do not need larger accommodations that families of 5 or more require. For us, a room is a place to sleep and shower. That is the only time I want to be in my room. There is too much to miss out on sitting in a room. Now, people are going to say that there is SOOOO much to see at their resort. My response to that is "there is nothing at your resort other than your room that I cannot experience!" Personally, I get withdrawn from some (not all) stuffy people that are at Deluxe resorts. I want to be able to have fun, not hear or see people givin looks for doing cannonballs in the pool, and the stares at people that obviously can't afford it as if looking down on them. I feel so much more comfortable with the down to Earth people at the Values. I can afford to stay any where, but choose not to. My money is better served else where working for me.

1 week at Pop Century, tickets for the 3 of us, meals, travel, and souvenirs comes to about $3k for a week.

Upvote 0

Tink28

Coming from the UK my next trip works out at about $5600 for 2, which includes V room at Gatwick Airport, Flights, Transfers, 14 nights at POR, 14 day Disney Passes, Disney Dining Plan and upgraded flights on return to UK. I think I got a pretty good deal but of course this does not include spending money!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

smk

We drive, room only discounts only, never pay rack rates, and get tickets thru work. So we can go, the two of us for under 1200. We stay 6 nights, rarely eat at TS, take our own drinks and snacks for healthier choices and eat QS meals for lunch. Heck, I even eat kids meals for lunch, being a diabetic I watch my carb intake all the time and the meals are just about right. If I want a snack later in the day I don't usually have too much to worry about blood sugar wise.

Upvote 0

Philhar-Fanatic

We run b/w 4 and 5. That's for a family of 4 always 8 nights...includes our hotel room on the way up there and our gas too. I start counting the $$ from when we pull out of the driveway to when we pull back in!

Upvote 0

Rutt

We've had two. The first cost us about $4500. The second was closer to $7500.

Generally, we spend about $2400 on flights (I swear Toronto is the most expensive airport in the world) but can cut about $1000 if we fly out of Buffalo.

We usually stay at the All Stars with upgraded dining so that's about $2500 for the week.

Then spending money.....

This January the wife and I are going alone.
$1000 for the AKL villa we rented, $300 for flights (we had a $350 credit with Jet Blue thanks to our last vacation), $300 for a rental car, and $1500 for food and spending. That's probably close to bare minimum.

Upvote 0

BrianV

We've had two. The first cost us about $4500. The second was closer to $7500.

Generally, we spend about $2400 on flights (I swear Toronto is the most expensive airport in the world) but can cut about $1000 if we fly out of Buffalo.

We usually stay at the All Stars with upgraded dining so that's about $2500 for the week.

Then spending money.....

This January the wife and I are going alone.
$1000 for the AKL villa we rented, $300 for flights (we had a $350 credit with Jet Blue thanks to our last vacation), $300 for a rental car, and $1500 for food and spending. That's probably close to bare minimum.

What do you do for tickets? Seems like so many people have aps. I wish we could go enough to make it work...

Upvote 0

EnchantedRose

Throughout the years prices have increased...and of course it also depends what time of year we go. We stay Value or Mod on every trip....and try to go every year. We put aside money every week that goes into an account for vacation, we also fill up a few piggy banks with coins which we always change right before we go and use it as spending cash...we usually end up with anywhere between $300-$400 from just change alone!!

We are 11 days away from our next trip...staying for 10 days, 9 nights at All Star Sports...we paid to have the dining upgraded from QSDP to the regular DP...it's for 2 adults, 1 child and 1 infant.( we save so much with him being free still) with 8 day regular park tickets for 2500. We actually checked to see what the difference would be between staying Value and upgrading to a Mod....and it was about $600...which was a decent chunk..so we stuck with Value...not to mention our son wanted the Sports Hotel! We are not a family that spends too much time in the resort...and yes even though you do have the convenience of being closer to certain things...were perfectly content with sticking with the Values...especially if this allows us to go every year.

Upvote 0

stevehousse

Throughout the years prices have increased...and of course it also depends what time of year we go. We stay Value or Mod on every trip....and try to go every year. We put aside money every week that goes into an account for vacation, we also fill up a few piggy banks with coins which we always change right before we go and use it as spending cash...we usually end up with anywhere between $300-$400 from just change alone!!

We are 11 days away from our next trip...staying for 10 days, 9 nights at All Star Sports...we paid to have the dining upgraded from QSDP to the regular DP...it's for 2 adults, 1 child and 1 infant.( we save so much with him being free still) with 8 day regular park tickets for 2500. We actually checked to see what the difference would be between staying Value and upgrading to a Mod....and it was about $600...which was a decent chunk..so we stuck with Value...not to mention our son wanted the Sports Hotel! We are not a family that spends too much time in the resort...and yes even though you do have the convenience of being closer to certain things...were perfectly content with sticking with the Values...especially if this allows us to go every year.
Believe me when I say it's a real bummer that first year you actually have to start paying for the kid who used to b free! That was us this year. LOL enjoy it while it lasts!

Upvote 0

danpam1024

One good way to save money, and one that we try to do whenever possible, is fly on Allegiant Air in and out of Sanford, FL. We live in sanford, so we don't use it to fly to Disney, but we use it to go other places. The fairs can be cheeper, but some of the baggage fees are ridiculous, so it all depends. It is about 45 minutes north of Disney, and you would have to rent a car because there is no bus service to Disney.
Allegiant Air TOTALLY ROCKS! we're flying to Asheville for less than it would cost in gas- and packing light :D

Upvote 0

EnchantedRose

Believe me when I say it's a real bummer that first year you actually have to start paying for the kid who used to b free! That was us this year. LOL enjoy it while it lasts!

OMG i know!! We are actually celebrating our oldest birthday this next trip..he turns 7 while in Disney. We actually took him for the first time when he was 17 months....and managed to get in two trips before he paid for airfare....and 4 trips before he paid for Park tickets!! I think our first trip cost us all of 1800 including airfare! We had the stay 4 get 3 days free...plus we got a $200 gift card! Best Disney deal EVER!!!

I know once the little one pays for everything we're gonna feel it in the price!!

Upvote 0

yaksplat

We drive from Buffalo, NY. There are 5 of us and one of my sons has a nut allergy so driving saves us a lot and a lot easier on the nerves with the allergy. Driving for us is 19.5 hours, 1218 miles, and costs $200 for gas and $150 for a hotel for the night each way. We drive just past Savannah, GA on day one and then day 2 is a short drive in comparison.

Airfare for us would be about $1800.

We splurge on the hotel and stay in a deluxe on the monorail, but fortunately I have a friend that is a CM so the hotel ends up being 40% off of rack.

After tickets, food and souvenirs, the fully burdened trip hits right about $5k for 7 nights. I'm considering DVC, but I want to see how it pans out at the poly so we can decide between the Floridian and Polynesian.

Upvote 0

Rutt

We drive from Buffalo, NY. There are 5 of us and one of my sons has a nut allergy so driving saves us a lot and a lot easier on the nerves with the allergy. Driving for us is 19.5 hours, 1218 miles, and costs $200 for gas and $150 for a hotel for the night each way. We drive just past Savannah, GA on day one and then day 2 is a short drive in comparison.

Airfare for us would be about $1800.

We splurge on the hotel and stay in a deluxe on the monorail, but fortunately I have a friend that is a CM so the hotel ends up being 40% off of rack.

After tickets, food and souvenirs, the fully burdened trip hits right about $5k for 7 nights. I'm considering DVC, but I want to see how it pans out at the poly so we can decide between the Floridian and Polynesian.
I'm trying to convince the wife to drive down in January. We are in Toronto so we would cross in Buffalo and go that way. Is it worth the savings on the flights? How is the drive generally? Winters in Toronto/ Buffalo can be brutal but I would imagine it would improve as we went south? I'm hoping the DVC is worth it as we may take the kids back in 2016, and if AKL villas are nice, just stay there again.

Upvote 0

KCheatle

Our package is usually ~$4500-5500 depending on the discounts, time we go, and length we stay. And, that included park hopper and dining plan for 2 adults, 2 children at WL in a courtyard w/ bunkbed. We stayed an extra day last summer which bumped up the price quite a bit compared to our September trip the year before. We aim for right around ~$4500 for the package deal. With flights, thankfully we get those paid for with miles. Otherwise, that'd be another ~$1300. Then once we get there, we spend ~$1000 on food, tips, souvenirs, etc.

So, if you add it up, it'd be ~$6800. But, we only end up actually spending ~$5500 because of the free flights.

Upvote 0

Disnee4Me

Building up Disney dollars helps defray costs ... last cashed in was in 2009, just cashed in some to book for next Christmas ... have over $1700, plus bought gift cards with $$$ from Discover. My goal is to go next year just before Christmas and have the tickets and resort totally paid for by Disney $$$ and gift cards. Currently have $500+ on Discover, which I am building up for airfare. The day I plan to leave is the day I get my Christmas bonus and that would be for food, gifts etc. for 8 nights with 6 day park hoppers.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom