How do people afford Deluxe?

Blufusion

Well if the God Lord willing and the Creek don't rise I will be putting a deposit on The CR in June of this year for Dec of 2016. Hopefully the Florida rate will be decent by the time they list them in late 2015. Only live once.

DisneyDebNJ

I am sure everyone has their personal ways of affording a vacation. Be it cutting down on expenses during the year, or getting great deals during a Disney visit. As much as I would love to visit more than once a year, I pool my resources for a vacation we all look forward to.

Pghdrumr

I book the comtemporary, during the offseason (May). I reserve a garden wing room, and Ive have always been upgraded to a tower room. (free of charge) this is how I afford it!

AngieMHF

Hi! Happy New Year everyone! I just wanted to say that when I have stayed in a deluxe room I wait to see in the regular rates how much the rooms are going for. On the cheapest time of the year I wait for the discounts to come out and that is when I reserve in the deluxe hotels. It is all about precision, timing, and flexibility in dates.

TXDisney

I also always go offseason so the rates are cheaper. They upgraded me 1/3 times staying deluxe, so there's no guarantee. Having a great view is awesome, but for me I'm paying for the deluxe bc of location not the views.

googilycub

I disagree. My parents would say that the many vacations we took as a family were among the best investments they ever made. And the trips my husband and I take together are an excellent investment in our marriage.

Both myself and the OP were talking about vacations as financial investments, not as an emotional investment.

jmargarone27

There is an enormous price range for the deluxes. I have paid as little as $175 at Boardwalk with a convention, and as high as rack rate at the GF of $750. It's all about timing, discounts, and connections. I was fortunate enough to have a cousin that managed the GF convention center. He would book us in a standard room at the GF and automatically upgrade us (usually to Magic Kingdom view, a couple times to club level if it wasn't busy.) I am a regular GF guest and on average pay between $400-$550 a night.

wsmith1978

My partner and I are very much middle class. We live a modest life, in a modest home, but we splurge and stay at the Wilderness Lodge every year. It's our home away from home. We've never stayed anywhere else on a Disney vacation and I don't know that we ever will. We typically pay about $400 or so a night, which isn't that bad considering the prices of some of the other Deluxe resorts. In fact, I think WL might be the most reasonable of all of them? We looked at Poly one year and I recall it being about $2000 more for the whole trip. Out of our range for sure.

Monkee Girl

I haven't read ALL the replies to this thread yet but wanted to get my opinion in.

I am single and childless 32 year old. I work hard and live very modestly. I don't even have cable TV (I don't watch it). I don't have an expensive iPhone; in fact, I still use a flip phone. I also work very hard throughout the year and don't go many places. I don't smoke, I don't drink. So i use Disney as my excuse to splurge and pamper myself.

Now, I can be quite content staying at the pop. But my travel party, which includes my aunt, her daughter and the daughter's daughter all love to stay at the Polynesian. And so do I. So when we go to our annual Disney vacation, we stay Poly. How do we do it? We split it 4 ways. Yes, the total is expensive, but when we break it down, it comes out to about $1,800.00 per person. And this is including room, Park Tickets and Dining Plan. To which I save all year for and then get gift cards and spending money from Christmas, birthdays, the chase Dream Dollars, and savings. Also, my aunt and I drive and she doesn't let me pay for gas or anything. So I save on travel expenses. And that's not counting any surprise discounts that may or may not happen.

Last year, we had our entire trip paid for and 2-3 weeks before our departure, Disney offered the 30% room discounts. we got it and added an extra day or two to our trip. we stayed 8 nights last year!. The discounts for Spring just came out this year but apparently the Poly is not on the discount list. I don't know it if will be added (which would be nice) but I am already paid off so I don't care either way.

Oh! I just had to edit to add that this is during Easter Break, so we get those extra expenses. There is no other convenient time for our family to go at this point, so we are stuck with it. But I still feel the $1800 per person is manageable.

So why Deluxe? Why the Poly?

It started with my cousin and I going on our first trip and we stayed at the Contemporary/MK view and she commented out she would like to try the Polynesian. So the next year we did and loved it. I learned how cool Hawaiian culture could be, saw my first Polynesian show and fell in love with the Hula. I now currently take classes in my state. After that, my aunt wanted to come. She doesn't fly or float so she will never get to Hawaii herself. This is the best choice for her. Then we too our grandmom. It's just been where we wanted to stay every year. Not only is it pretty, but the ambiance with the music and staff, the beach with the night movies and fire works, access to the monorail and closeness to the Magic Kingdom can't be beat. We also LOVE Captain Cook's, Ohana's and all of that. It's just such a different feeling than anywhere else!

Sure, recently, we are feeling a little priced out with all the DVC talk and when we think that we are paying the same price as last year but staying a 2 days less is kind of sad. But, again, we split the room 4 ways so it makes it less painfull. However, we have talked about making the trip every other year as opposed to every year.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Just wanted to say why I love staying Deluxe and that I am by no means rich, but work hard and therefore feel I deserve the luxury every now and then.

Last edited:

Lurch104

I am single and childless 32 year old. I work hard and live very modestly. I don't even have cable TV (I don't watch it). I don't have an expensive iPhone; in fact, I still use a flip phone. I also work very hard throughout the year and don't go many places. I don't smoke, I don't drink. So i use Disney as my excuse to splurge and pamper myself.

I just have to say you rock Monkee Girl! What a great attitude; work hard and play hard. Enjoy your deluxe trips.

TXDisney

My goal is to become dvc member with how often we go it just makes sense. My wife loves our disney trips, but I do all the saving for it. Waiting until my next big promotion to do dvc. Should be great timing since we have no kids right now, but are starting to try. I'd love to be a dvc member by the time they're 3-5. We've purposely not stayed at the contemporary yet bc we want to wait till kids to stay there, so we stay around Epcot at the deluxe there now. Just plan in advance where you can save is the smartest way.

jloucks

We stayed at Port Orleans Riverside. Is that a mid level or high level? Dunno, but I do know it was WAY different/better than where we stayed last time (All Star Music for $4,000). Less crowded. Less scary people. Way shorter walk to bus stop. ...and, what? only about $100 more a night. We paid just over $6,000 for an 8 night trip this last Halloween (4 people). That included everything tho, park, flight, food, hotel, etc.

Toying with upping the ante again when we go in 2016. Looking at one of the big bad boys. Yacht club or Contemporary.

Now, to answer the question, lol, I worked very hard in life, very hard, to get where I am at. Made lots of sacrifices and suffered a lot. Now, the reaping of benefits from that are all rolling in finally. Pretty big salary, lots of vacation, and surprisingly my health is still with me. To spend $9000 on a vacation is only about 5% of my annual salary. ...which is probably about what you pay too. So, in one way, we are spending the same amount on our vacations.

Yea, that sounds a bit hoity toity reading it back to myself, but I am not changing it.... man-o-man did I pay the piper. No regrets.

newsies

I've stayed on property at Disney World twice. Once at the Contemporary in 2010, and once at the Grand Floridian last summer. We booked through AAA travel agencies and originally were planning to stay at the Art of Animation, but our travel agent called us mid-January to let us know we could upgrade to the Grand Floridian for only $400 or something ridiculous like that. My mother and I both love GF so obviously we couldn't pass it up. That being said, we probably won't be able to go back to WDW this year. Personally, I think saving up to stay one stay at a deluxe every 4 years or so can be just as magical as staying at a value resort once a year. Some people think vice-versa. It's all about personal priorities :)

SecondStarTilMorning

I'll chime in to say I'm having this debate with myself right now... we can stay at the Poly (garden view) for about $324/night (that includes all taxes) or we can stay at Port Orleans French Quarter (garden view) for about $114/ night (including taxes). I don't make enough money to say that an extra $1,400 for a week at WDW to stay deluxe is justifiable, but for many many people who take one nice vacation every year or so they don't spare a lot of expense. If you are going through all the trouble of taking a trip to WDW, why compromise? Our stays at the Grand Floridian (lagoon view) and Boardwalk Inn (boardwalk view) have been some of the most wonderful and enjoyable memories we've ever hard. Our stays at an on-site time share that is incredibly nice by any standard (wyndham bonnet creek) have been spectacular but don't evoke nearly the same feel and appreciation we get out of staying at a Disney Deluxe hotel. The Grand Floridian is very expensive, obviously, but stay there for a weekend and you'll never want to go back to a place like Caribbean Beach. You'll spend more time enjoying your vacation and relaxing than getting back and forth to your room and to various amenities.

Pluto15

I am booked for AKL for May for 2 weeks. It's great time of year weather wise and the rates were really good compared to some quoted in this post. I think if you shop around on various sites or get a package deal you can get good rates. For me its worth saving and the treat as don't smoke or drink or gamble so my only real luxury.

Monkee Girl

We stayed at Port Orleans Riverside. Is that a mid level or high level? Dunno, but I do know it was WAY different/better than where we stayed last time (All Star Music for $4,000). Less crowded. Less scary people. Way shorter walk to bus stop. ...and, what? only about $100 more a night. We paid just over $6,000 for an 8 night trip this last Halloween (4 people). That included everything tho, park, flight, food, hotel, etc.

Toying with upping the ante again when we go in 2016. Looking at one of the big bad boys. Yacht club or Contemporary.

Now, to answer the question, lol, I worked very hard in life, very hard, to get where I am at. Made lots of sacrifices and suffered a lot. Now, the reaping of benefits from that are all rolling in finally. Pretty big salary, lots of vacation, and surprisingly my health is still with me. To spend $9000 on a vacation is only about 5% of my annual salary. ...which is probably about what you pay too. So, in one way, we are spending the same amount on our vacations.

Yea, that sounds a bit hoity toity reading it back to myself, but I am not changing it.... man-o-man did I pay the piper. No regrets.

It's not hoity toity (ok, yea it is); but you deserve it. You have worked hard and you have the right to flaunt it.

If I may make a suggestion, I have only every visited the Yacht Club for dinner and remember it being quite nice; quiet and peaceful and I liked being able to walk over to the board walk. BUT, if you are going to 'Up the Anti' I would suggest the Contemporary out of the two (though, I would really suggest the Poly, lol). either way, you will never want to not stay at a monorail resort. Taking breaks away from the buses is great; and I am a person who doesn't mind the buses. You also have the boat option if you want something quiet for your MK traveling. MK fireworks right out your window (depending what room you stay), the water pageant every night on the lagoon. I wasn't a fan of the Contemp's decor...it was...'boring' to me. but the over all experience was amazing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom