How do Face Charcters communicate with a person who does not speak English?

Princess Kaylee

Original Poster
I am sure they are trained, in fact we saw Ariel do sign language a few weeks ago but we never saw somebody try to speak to a character in another language.

DisneyFanaticUK

Good question :confused: This is particularly a problem at Disneyland Paris where visitors come from all over Europe so characters are faced with guests speaking French, English, German, Spanish, Italian.. I don't know how they cope.

English is a near universal second language in mainland Europe, at the very least, most Western Europeans can communicate in some sort of fashion using it. I've never had a problem when visiting DLP, from my own experience I assume most cast members who deal with the public are proficient in at least French, English and can basically communicate in German.

Personally, the amazing multi-lingual nature of urban European areas is a real life saviour when visiting the mainland, my accent usually ends up butchering any attempt to communicate in French, and my German is quite sub-par.

EOD K9

J'ai eté à Paris trois fois pour voir Le Tour de France et Je suis visité DLP une fois. I've found that most people in France speak English fairly well. The further you get from major cities, the less they speak. In DLP most of the CMs speak English. I'd like to think, the face characters at least speak English. Je suis un cycliste donc Je voudrais apprendre le Francais. Je pense que tout le monde devrait essayer d'apprendre la langue du pays où ils veulent visiter.

Last edited:

wdrive

At Disneyland Paris the face characters are only required to speak French or English, not both. Most face characters in Tokyo and Hong Kong cannot speak Japanese or Chinese fluently.

As far as I know there isn't really any official way to handle this. Most guests will probably understand hello, say it back, pose for a photo and leave.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
At Disneyland Paris the face characters are only required to speak French or English, not both. Most face characters in Tokyo and Hong Kong cannot speak Japanese or Chinese fluently.

As far as I know there isn't really any official way to handle this. Most guests will probably understand hello, say it back, pose for a photo and leave.
My cousin's best friend just transferred to Hong Kong to be a princess. She is not fluent in Chinese. She has some basic phrases she needed to know.

DisneyChik17

A friend of mine, who was previously friends with Belle, said they aren't supposed to speak other languages in WDW, only English. Mostly for consistency, because what would happen if a sweet little birthday girl met a princess, spoke Spanish with her, then went back at another time and couldn't do it? A lot of attendants are bilingual or multilingual, and can assist, because they are just regular people.

Animaniac93-98

I've been to DLP and seen the same face characters speak both English and French. It's impressive to see them go from one guest or table to the next and change languages at the drop of a hat. It also adds some authenticity to characters like Belle.

mergatroid

I am sure this becomes an issue in Hong Kong, Tokyo, and Paris...

Not for me it doesn't

Loudhailer2.jpg

EOD K9

I've been to DLP and seen the same face characters speak both English and French. It's impressive to see them go from one guest or table to the next and change languages at the drop of a hat. It also adds some authenticity to characters like Belle.
Well Snow White should speak German then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom