How can I get groceries and alcohol for Universal's Cabana Bay Resort?

sublimesting

Original Poster
Hi everyone. This is our first time going to Universal. We're staying at Cabana Bay. Now usually we go to Disney and use Gardengrocer. However, they don't deliver to Universal resorts (this is like strike 15 against Universal by the way...very displeased with every aspect of planning this trip vs. Disney(who does it right). Anyways, are there any stores with in walking distance to Cabana Bay that sell alcohol (wine and beer) and snacks? Or are there any good delivery services? Thanks for your help.

Mukta

I love the food and drinks at Universal (and I find the prices quite reasonable), so I have no personal experience with this.

Garden Grocer's website says they do deliver to Universal Orlando resorts. o_O

If they don't for some reason, try Orlando Grocery Express.

sublimesting

Original Poster
I see you're going in with an open mind. I'm sure you're going to have a great time.

Also, Garden Grocer's site specifically says they do deliver to Universal
At the end of my order it stated "Gardengrocer does not provide delivery service to Universal's Cabana Bay Resort." Also, I had an open mind, but they messed up my dining reservations, my room reservations, they stated they would not accept any grocery delivery service unless I was present. They continuously tried to upsell me on everything, whenever they answered the phone it was very unprofessional such as "Heh?" "Um, is this Universal Reservations? "Yeah" "Um OK I'd like to make a trip package." "OK you'll definitely need an express pass we're overloaded here." It was like this every time I called. It's just they are clearly a step behind Disney in every area of customer service, they charge extra for everything (no transport from airport) etc. It's just all the little things. No magic AT ALL

Last edited:

danpam1024

Sounds like you should cancel and go where your really want. You're upset BEFORE arrival, that's not going to make for a good trip. Universal doesn't require nearly the amount of planning that a vacation at WDW does- it's not their game to micromanage your time and money. I can completely understand why they wouldn't accept a grocery delivery without you being there- what if it's wrong, you're going to blame THEM! The hotels won't send your bags to your room without you being present, no difference. And all Disney's "little extras" are NOT FREE! That's why they charge so much for their crappy rooms!!!! However, I agree with @Disneyhead'71 - whole Foods is right there, and they have cold craft beers :)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
At the end of my order it stated "Gardengrocer does not provide delivery service to Universal's Cabana Bay Resort." Also, I had an open mind, but they messed up my dining reservations, my room reservations, they stated they would not accept any grocery delivery service unless I was present. They continuously tried to upsell me on everything, whenever they answered the phone it was very unprofessional such as "Heh?" "Um, is this Universal Reservations? "Yeah" "Um OK I'd like to make a trip package." "OK you'll definitely need an express pass we're overloaded here." It was like this every time I called. It's just they are clearly a step behind Disney in every area of customer service, they charge extra for everything (no transport from airport) etc. It's just all the little things. No magic AT ALL

Sorry you are having a bad experience, I have had nothing but excellent customer service from Uni.

sublimesting

Original Poster
Sorry you are having a bad experience, I have had nothing but excellent customer service from Uni.
So I called Garden Grocer and they said that Universal no longer permits grocery delivery services. They will honor all current scheduled deliveries but Universal will no longer permit pizza or grocery delivery. And this is why Universal is a step behind Disney. They are too worried about nickel and diming us for everything.

Jwhee

So I called Garden Grocer and they said that Universal no longer permits grocery delivery services. They will honor all current scheduled deliveries but Universal will no longer permit pizza or grocery delivery. And this is why Universal is a step behind Disney. They are too worried about nickel and diming us for everything.

Sure Universal is a step behind Disney when it comes to planning. Me personally? I like showing up and not planning what I have to do, freebie it and do whatever. You wont find anything close to "mymagic+" at Universal, because Universal actually BUILDS new attractions and actually UPKEEPS their parks & attractions and doesn't waste nearly a billion dollars on some mobile phone application that hardly works. You're having a heart attack because you cant get your groceries delivered. Heck, jump into a cab, walk, or use uber because there is a whole foods right down the road.

So, if you're interested in well-kept parks with amazing high-tech attractions, you'll love Universal. Sorry you cant get groceries o_O

danpam1024

Sure Universal is a step behind Disney when it comes to planning. Me personally? I like showing up and not planning what I have to do, freebie it and do whatever. You wont find anything close to "mymagic+" at Universal, because Universal actually BUILDS new attractions and actually UPKEEPS their parks & attractions and doesn't waste nearly a billion dollars on some mobile phone application that hardly works. You're having a heart attack because you cant get your groceries delivered. Heck, jump into a cab, walk, or use uber because there is a whole foods right down the road.

So, if you're interested in well-kept parks with amazing high-tech attractions, you'll love Universal. Sorry you cant get groceries o_O
PERFECT!:joyfull: I assume people buy groceries to save money- no shame in that. It's a HECK of a lot cheaper to buy them than it is to have them deliveredo_O.

sublimesting

Original Poster
I just called Cabana Bay. They said GardenGrocer delivers there all the time.

I asked about Whole Foods. She said there is a City Bus stop right behind the resort and goes straight to Whole Foods. Takes less than 10 mins., $4 round trip.
You were misinformed because both Cabana Bay and Garden Grocer confirmed they don't deliver to Cabana Bay or Hard Rock Hotel. They USED to and will honor any reservations already made in the past but have not taken new reservations for delivery for several months.

sublimesting

Original Poster

Yeah I said I was having a heart attack. Way to extrapolate. I was asking how people get groceries delivered and lamenting that so far my dealing with Universal have been way less than stellar in the customer service arena.

sublimesting

Original Poster
PERFECT!:joyfull: I assume people buy groceries to save money- no shame in that. It's a HECK of a lot cheaper to buy them than it is to have them deliveredo_O.
Sure would be if we had a car. It's better to have them waiting for us on arrival than to have to waste our time getting a cab, paying for that, going to the store and then getting another cab! How is this hard for you people to comprehend.

sublimesting

Original Poster
I'm going to detail out the differences between Universal and The Disney Way for you guys who just don't get it:

1. Disney answers the phones in a professional and happy manner and make me feel welcome and excited. I called Universal 7 times. Twice did they even answer with "Universal Studios." The other 5 it was either "Yeah?" or "Sup." or "What." or some variation thereof.
2. When I make reservations at Disney they talk about how good the food is or how much fun I'm going to have OR they actually personalize my plans by noticing I have a 5 year old girl and asking if she'd be celebrating or want anything special or notice its our anniversary etc. At Universal I made two dining reservations. Both were mishandled and lost. On one the guy actually said "When you want to eat? I said "Are all times available?" He said "Nah, You got 11:00 - 3:00." I said "3 will be fine." He said "You sure don't be calling back later with another time..." I said "3 is fine for me." He said "We got after 3 too." I said "You told me 11 to 3 were the times." He said "I didn't feel like opening more reservation pages and wasting my time if you were good with that....you still good, don't waste my time." At the end of the call he hung up and never took my name or anything. I had to call back.
3. I tried to make a package. They told me they couldn't answer any questions about hotels, that I'd have to call the hotel directly. I ended up buying AP's and asked what conveniences came with them. They sighed and said I got a discount on some stuff. I said "Is that all? "No, you can't come in the summertime either, it's blacked out." Since when does Disney black out dates for an AP? Since when do I have to pull teeth at Disney for AP info?!
4. They ALL told me September is their busiest month and I'd HAVE to have an Express Pass or I'd get maybe 2 rides in a day. I have read up on this and have yet to have anyone recommend an express pass..... of which you pay for and is tiered - unlike Disney!
5. When I finalized my purchase the lady said "You sure? Once I hit this button you will be charged a high premium for anything you want to change unless you write us a letter petitioning to be able to add to your package and spend more...at our discretion."" WELL, thanks for the Magical feels there Universal.
6. "How do I get there from airport?" "I dunno....."
7. And the final straw is the fact that not all hotels are uniformly treated and the poor people at Cabana Bay are denied grocery and pizza delivery services.

So does anyone see a pattern here? It contrasts totally with how Disney operates. Oh no doubt Disney is a business but Universal charges for everything has very limited customer service and rudely badger you into paying for more.

Figgy1

Premium Member
ok I really didn't want to get into this thread BUT!!!!!! I called about booking a room and they were quite professional and nice! They did try and sell me a package but when I mentioned where my dh worked and we'd be getting tickets through them (they even checked for an additional discount for the room) NO PROBLEM or continued upselling! Yes and it was for Cabana Bay, they were so nice and after looking online at the reviews we're going to add a night just to have a day to enjoy the resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom