how can i be an imagineer,what do i need

bassman

Original Poster
ok heres the deal.
for about 3 years now i have been pondering the idea of applying for a job at disney world,this is primarily imagineer.
weel i have been wondering,what do i need to make my dream a reality,what do i need to become an imagineer.
also i would settle for a ride operator CM.

Tim G

bassman said:
ok heres the deal.
for about 3 years now i have been pondering the idea of applying for a job at disney world,this is primarily imagineer.
weel i have been wondering,what do i need to make my dream a reality,what do i need to become an imagineer.
also i would settle for a ride operator CM.
One doesn't become imagineer in WDW... one becomes imagineer in Glendale, Ca.

An Imagineer goes where he/she's needed...

And one needs college Master degrees... from at least a decent university...

How old are you anyway...

Start at the bottom... become a CM... in your case... in DLP, try to go from there...

Tim G

ntoeman said:
Are there certain college degrees one should focus on? or just engineering of some sort???
Better finish Highschool first...

Then go to university... and read, learn and study...

terp79

What does it really take....

Correction....one can "become" an imagineer at WDI's location in Orlando. WDI's main campus is indeed in Glendale and is the the orginal base, but WDI does have a subdivision in Orlando and they do hire interns. Actually one of my friends (met durring the finals of WDI's Imaginations Contest) is currently interning at WDI in Orlando. I myself had 2 interviews/portfolio reviews with WDI in Glendale and they did tell me to push for my masters, when I asked my friend at WDI in orlando she told me that hardly anyone she works with has their masters and a lot of them don't even have college degrees. I don't know if I believe that seeing how Imagineers out in CA told me to push for my masters. I know a handful of Imagineers that went thru college, got an internship at WDI in orlando and then went back to school got their masters and are now working in both WDI locations.
My opinion: work hard in school, go to college, enter the WDI imaginations contest, try to get an internship and go from there.

magicfan

Corrus said:
One doesn't become imagineer in WDW... one becomes imagineer in Glendale, Ca.

Not necessarily true

I know an Imagineer who has never been to Glendale and was hired in Florida

Rayray

terp79 said:
Correction....one can "become" an imagineer at WDI's location in Orlando. WDI's main campus is indeed in Glendale and is the the orginal base, but WDI does have a subdivision in Orlando and they do hire interns. Actually one of my friends (met durring the finals of WDI's Imaginations Contest) is currently interning at WDI in Orlando. I myself had 2 interviews/portfolio reviews with WDI in Glendale and they did tell me to push for my masters, when I asked my friend at WDI in orlando she told me that hardly anyone she works with has their masters and a lot of them don't even have college degrees. I don't know if I believe that seeing how Imagineers out in CA told me to push for my masters. I know a handful of Imagineers that went thru college, got an internship at WDI in orlando and then went back to school got their masters and are now working in both WDI locations.
My opinion: work hard in school, go to college, enter the WDI imaginations contest, try to get an internship and go from there.
Don't you have to be a minority or some type of art major to even enter the contest. Caucasian engineering majors, such as myself, are not eligible for entry.:fork:

terp79

what another finalist did...

So this is what you can do....
on the ImagiNations website in the guidelines it lists that you have to be one of the following.....

University Majors: Fine Art, Digital Art, Theater Design/Production, and
Creative Writing. Or a member of the following Engineering and Architecture Associations: National Society of Black Engineers, Society of Women Engineers, Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, National Organization of Minority Architects, Mexican American Engineers and Scientists, and American Indian Science and Engineering Society to be able to enter the contest.

So you don't think you can enter because you don't meet any of the requirements or majors. WRONG!!! Ricky Brigante, the host of inside the magic was a finalist the year before me and he was a computer science major. Well, how did he enter you ask? He joined the Society of Women Engineers. Believe it or not you can become a member of any of those orgainizations even if your white, male, etc. Of course you have to pay to become a member but it's well worth it if you want to enter the contest.
So pick which organization you would like to support and go for it. I recommend listening to Ricky's archieved POD casts on his website all about his WDI ImagiNations journey, if you haven't already. He talks all about how he entered and his steps and other fun stuff.

http://distantcreations.com/insidethemagic/
Check out the archives for the ImagiNations stuff.
I think it starts with SHOW #54. Enjoy!!!!

Scar Junior

I talked to an Imagineer who was a writer (of night shows, parades, etc.) in WDW. He said that very few imagineers worked in WDW without traveling from CA. He also said Masters Degree wasn't needed for writing. In creative arts you need to be talented and lucky. Race has nothing to do with it.

Anyway, he claims he was just an intern with WDI and had an idea for a show (I forget what it was called) at Epcot in the late 80s (i think). They listened to his idea and even gave him partial power to direct. That jump started his career. He said he goes back and forth between WDW and DL many times each year.

He suggested contacting him when I'm almost finished with school and he will give me an update as to their hiring situation at WDW's WDI. I actually just found his phone number the other day and I will graduate in the Fall.... therefore, I will call him shortly. If there is any useful info I will pass it on.

terp79

No...you don't need to enter the contest to become an Imagineer but it's extremely helpful when it comes to making contacts and connections on the inside.

When I entered the contest the Imagineers told me that they get over
65,000+ resumes a year. The contest is a way to not only promote diversity within WDI but it's also a way to see what people can bring to the plate. The imagineers say that its hard to tell who undertands WDI and get's it just from a cover letter and resume and that the contest allows for Imagineers to actually see skills and talents of those lucky few who make finals.

WDI is all about timing. I'm so lucky to have made finals and place well in the contest. I made sooooo many great connections, from WDI's college recruiters, to human resources, to the imagineers themselves. They all have been supportive of the finalists whose dreams are to work for WDI one day.

terp79

One more thought on this thread....

So many times on so many Disney message boards does the question of "how do i become an Imagineer?" come up. In this day in age we all want a simple cut and dry answer....do A,B,C, and D and you'll be an Imagineer. It's not that easy. If you read any of the Disney Imagineering books they say that there's no magical formula to become an Imagineer. If you speak to Imagineers, which I have spoken with over 20 Imagineers in all different departments ranging from R&D, Creative Designs and Concepts, Show Producer, Architecture Department, Show Writer, Human Resources, College Relations, Diversity Managers....they ALL have different stories of how they ended up working for WDI and becoming and Imagineer.

My thoughts and opinions on this topic are mainly suggestions on how to better promote yourself when time comes to set forth and take on the adventure in becoming an Imagineer. Everybody on here and the other message boards have the same goal but each of us will take different paths to reach our dreams. It's hard work, it was Walt himself that said dreams don't come true overnite. They take a lot of hard work and ambition.

All i can do is share my experiences and describe the steps I have taken to personally better my chance in making my dreams come true. It hasn't been easy and a lot of hard work and outside time has been spent for me to get this far. I wish good luck to all of you whose dreams are becoming an Imagineer one day. Remember to Do, Dream and Diversify!!!!

Sgtcarrot

wow RayRay

Thanks for that info. I will consider it.

I think enthusiasm is a prerequisite if you are going to apply. Also, you might want to think out of the box more (with regard to the application). This is a coveted position by people who went to college, worked their butts off and deserve the honor.

I would suggest that anybody that wants to do this should pursue one key tactic:

Be excellent at everything you do. It's the only thing they will even notice.

Oh, and by the way, those organizations provide opportunities to less fortunate groups, your support and membership should mean that you care and want to help (another great theme to follow), hopefully its not just a formality and forty bucks.

KeithVH

I think you also have to think about two key issues when it comes to education and experience - depth and breadth. There are times when you are going to need to be THE go-to person who has the specific knowledge about how to solve a problem. Other times, you're going to need to have experience across a wide range of skillsets in order to make sure everything works together.

Admittedly, I've only talked to a couple of imagineers and seen a bunch of them on TV. But, if you listen carefully, and you think about what it is they are doing, at a very high level, basic corporate (and big-project) rules apply.

Don't get caught up in thinking that an engineering degree is the only thing you need. Sure, I'm betting when they built the Yeti, they guys who excelled at Kinematics and Materials Science were right up there. But did they do the sound FX for the ride? Did they scope the user experience overall? Not to say an engineering degree ISN'T what they need but, as pointed out, Imagineers do more than just build AA's. There is an artistic aspect to the job that science alone won't cover or quantify.

I would think people who do have special skills BUT also know how to bring others with their special skills together and how all the pieces fit into the puzzle of any given project would get high consideration. Make sure your C.V. shows how you lead team projects (even college class projects) and conquered problems through teamwork.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom