How Bad is the Polynesian Construction, Really?

Wazowwwwski

Original Poster
We are planning a trip for February 2015, and I'm dying to know if we should chance the Polynesian with it's construction or opt for the (pricier) Grand Floridian. If construction wasn't an issue, I'd prefer the Poly!

What do you all think? Has anyone been there recently who could weigh in on just how inconvenient (or not inconvenient) the construction might be?

Thanks, Disney folk!

epcotisbest

We are planning a trip for February 2015, and I'm dying to know if we should chance the Polynesian with it's construction or opt for the (pricier) Grand Floridian. If construction wasn't an issue, I'd prefer the Poly!

What do you all think? Has anyone been there recently who could weigh in on just how inconvenient (or not inconvenient) the construction might be?

Thanks, Disney folk!
We visited while staying at AKL Kidani a couple of weeks ago. Personally, I would not stay there right now if they offered it at value rates, but that is just me. Our comment while walking around was wondering why they did not just close the whole place down and come in and finish the redo quickly without tourists in the way, and finish it much quicker. Now mind you we were not staying there, and the opinion of someone actually staying there may be much different.

Wazowwwwski

Original Poster
We visited while staying at AKL Kidani a couple of weeks ago. Personally, I would not stay there right now if they offered it at value rates, but that is just me. Our comment while walking around was wondering why they did not just close the whole place down and come in and finish the redo quickly without tourists in the way, and finish it much quicker. Now mind you we were not staying there, and the opinion of someone actually staying there may be much different.

Thanks very much!

Lance

We were there last week, and literally, seems like half the Polynesian is under construction right now, you wouldn't really know it from the outside looking in, but once you go inside, its smacks you in the face.

We walked over from the Floridian, and everything looked fine, until we got to the Ceremonial House where the construction began, the entire right half of the resort starting at Tokelau is under, so to get to TTC, you have to walk along the bus station and Poly parking lot... that entire area where they're building the DVC bungalows is under.

BUT, my two favorite buildings: Tuvalu and Fiji are fine and dandy, so I don't think the construction would bother me, but that is up to you.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
BUT, my two favorite buildings: Tuvalu and Fiji are fine and dandy, so I don't think the construction would bother me, but that is up to you.
It's a long walk to the quiet pool from the buildings on the other side of the marina (since the main pool area will still be closed in February.)
And I'm as big a Tuvalu lover as there is...;)

mouse_luv

We were there about a month ago and all of the walls irked me. We ate at Captain Cooks and there was nothing to look at out the windows but huge ugly construction barriers. I'd wait to stay there til after the renovations are done.

Last edited:

Disneykidder

We were at the Poly a couple of times on this past trip. I would definitely not want to stay there during construction. Look on instagram or on fb and I am sure there are current pics to show you. We actually stayed at The VGF and it was gorgeous. It s the building closest to the Poly, right next to the Wedding Pavilion.

Jeff456

We ate at Ohana' at the beginning of the week I certainly wouldn't want to stay there right now lots of walls!

snoop-a-loop

We were at VGF a couple weeks ago and did take some time to walk through the Polynesian. It's a far cry from the Polynesian that we stayed at years ago, but some of the changes do look promising. Without a doubt, they have a lot of work to do and I wouldn't be surprised if takes until the end of 2015 to finish the construction.

I'm not offended by the bungalows, I do think they'll be incredibly popular. They don't ruin the theme. Nor does taking down the waterfall in the lobby, I'm all for opening up the space.

One concern I do have about Captain Cooks was, in the middle of the afternoon with a deserted resort, there was a line to order food. I'd hate to see it during meal times with a sold out resort. They need to work on the ordering process. I did like the addition of the Pineapple Lanai, and was pleased with my dole whip.

Overall, I wouldn't stay there until the construction is complete. There are too many other resorts to enjoy.

Wazowwwwski

Original Poster
This has all been so helpful. Thank you very much! I think we'll opt for the GF based on all the above assistance.

Happy planning to all! ;)

YoJDew

Aw nuts. I just booked a five-day stay at the Poly, having gazed longingly at it on previous visits... and this year I could actually afford it, but apparently that's because it's slathered in construction!! I did see that it was under renovation when I booked it and I knew that's why we got a good rate, but I figured "It's Disney! Their construction probably consists of Tinkerbell sprinkling pixie dust over everything and the Seven Dwarfs marching around with pickaxes! How bad could it be??" :arghh:

Should I try to switch to FW? My husband was so psyched about being on the monorail...

squidward

I wouldn't stay there right now. In fact, I wouldn't even go back for dinner if it looked the same way it did in July. I can't imagine any other hotel in the world that would remain open with that much construction going on.

Disnee4Me

Just to be clear ... all this construction will be done (I hope) when we go there next year (December 2015)?? I have never been to the Poly and want to go for breakfast

Vader2112

I have to agree. They should bee offering sweet discounts to stay their right now. It is a disaster area.
Can't wait for it to be done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom