How bad is Port Orleans Riverside?

habuma

So my husband has been reading a lot of bad reviews on riverside. How bad are the rooms, a lot of complaints about them being dirty, and the beds not being comfortable. He also read the busses are awful and folks saying they waited over an hour for busses. Any one been there recently?

We've stayed there many times, including once back when it was Dixie Landings Resort. Although we have little experience staying at other resorts (AoA and Caribbean Beach being the only exceptions thus far...we've been trying out other resorts just to see what they're like), we've visited several of the other resorts and can say that POR is hands down our favorite.

We've never had a problem with cleanliness. And although we've never experienced bed bugs, it's the kind of problem that can hit any resort. I'd be terribly surprised if there were bed bugs and Disney did nothing about it. That review was most likely a disgruntled guest who didn't think Disney dealt with the issue the way that they wanted (as in, "I can't believe that they didn't upgrade us to the Grand Floridian for our troubles"). Even then, it's entirely possible that there was some odd insect that came in and was seen the bed and the reviewer assumed it was a bedbug. You never know.

As for the bus service, no complaints. We've never waited more than 20 minutes for a bus and that was an unusual circumstance. Most of the time the busses run regularly. There are 4 bus stops at POR and usually the busses going through POR also stop at POFQ before heading to the parks. So, worst case, you might end up waiting on the bus for 4 other stops before going to the parks. But unless they're loading a wheelchair or ECV, they don't stop for long.

As someone else stated, people usually don't write reviews when they're happy...only when they're upset. It's an unfortunate fact. To help counter that, let me reassure you that POR is an amazing resort, full of charm, and one that I'd be more than happy to stay at again and again.

slappy magoo

Stayed there twice in the Magnolia Bend section when it was still called Dixie Landings, and once in Alligator Bayou since it's become Riverside. We're not DVC members so the odds of us staying there are slim, but if we had to do a trip without using DVC points, and our budget was limited to moderate resorts...well, I'm curious about Coronado, but it'd be a tough call between the two. The only negative vibe I have for Riverside now is that there's no sit down option for breakfast. Our last stay was probably a few months before they stopped serving breakfast at Boatwright's and it was a great meal.

officialtom

The title of this thread made me cringe. POR is our absolute favourite resort (well, we haven't splurged on a deluxe yet), and we ADORE it. The rooms are relatively modern, the grounds are BEAUTIFUL, and the feeling of the place is so laid back and relaxing. The counter service at the mill is efficient and delicious with plenty of seating, and the table service (Boatwrights) is not to be missed. You can also walk along the river to visit POFQ if you want a change of scenery. Our absolute favourite feature is the water taxi service to DTD. Check the two TRs in my signature if you'd like a few pics and detail on our stays there.

Magnolia Bend ("the mansions") is our preferred area, but the Bayou is awesome too if you have kids.

We would be going back this coming January, but CBR is substantially in late January so we're staying there instead. Otherwise, we'd be happily back at POR.

Jahona

Stayed at POR in July. The rooms were clean and never had an insect problem besides the ones that flew through the door as we came and went. I liked the mansions 100x better than the bayou section. During busy days never go to the bus stop by the lobby, you may never get the bus you want as it tends to be the last stop. The entertainment at night is great “Ye Haa” Bob is a riot and a must see. Personally I'm still more partial to CSR over POR as I really don't care for the bayou rooms.

patch553

we were there in feb and had no complaints what so ever, the room was clean,bed comfortable,themeing was great. the pools were good fun too,whilst we didn't use the buses we did use the water taxi to get to downtown which was a great experience giving you interesting views of downtown and other resorts

ladydi

We stayed in a bayou room last September. My daughter was about 5 ft tall at the time and she thought the bed was a little small. I liked the look of the bed but it really cut down the amount of drawer space. We were only there for one night. If we had been longer, we probably would have hung up most of our clothes. The resort is not my favorite but rooms were clean and beds were comfortable.

Dwarful

We were there a few years ago as a party of five. We had three tween &/or teen daughters and we only stayed one night. We were going to be there two weeks...but a plumbing issue made our room 'out of service'. We were happy to be moved. My husband and I would stay again if it were a trip with just us...or additional room for the girls. Otherwise, the room was too small, not enough storage or walk space, we were on top of each other. Bus service was OK...but we had better at Pop and Art ONLY because those resorts are one stop bus service. We have stayed at all three levels...value, mod, deluxe and have enjoyed stays at each.

DisneyDude

We've stayed twice albeit many years ago, the first time was in 1997 when it was Dixie Landings, the next time was in 2007. We've stayed in all the Deluxe Resorts except the GF (staying there Dec 2016). I have to say Riverside is our favourite resort by far, I don't know if they still provide the boat down to Downtown Disney or if it's the same pianoman entertaining guests in the bar most nights but if they do then you're in for a treat. The landscape is awesome I must have hundreds of photos of the grounds. Can't believe the stories regarding the housekeeping either, why would it be any different to the other resorts. Have a great time, it's a fabulous place.

Tom P.

We stayed last year (June, 2014) at Riverside in the Alligator Bayou section. Not a single problem to be had. The rooms were very clean, the bus service was just fine (no more than a 15-20 minute wait, and that was on the really slow days), no problems with service. We stayed in 2012 as well and had the same experience. I have nothing bad to say about Riverside.

TaraWdopeyfan

Original Poster
Getting closer to our trip. Thank you everyone for the replies. I'm really looking forward to staying at a new resort since the last 4 years have all been at POFQ, but I might have to walk over and get some beignets.

bethymouse

POR is nice. The only "complaint" we had was the bugs, but just shut your room door quickly. The pool can get lots of "tree debris" in it, but other than that it is a wonderful moderate resort.

jaklgreen

Thank you everyone, I've shared the comments with the hubby and he's feeling better about our upcoming stay!

I can't wait 26 days to go!

I will be there then too. Checking in on the 1st. I usually stay at POFQ so this will be my first stay at POR but I am anticipating a great stay. See ya there! :) PS, I will definitely be walking to get beignets too!

Distant

Not to beat this dead horse, but since it came up I'd like to put in my 2 cents.
First- you need to know I'm cheap. Very cheap. I hate spending money.
So we finally bit the bullet and stayed in park in 08 for the first time and for some reason went to POR.

I loved it so much. I could write 10 pages on why it was so wonderful. We stayed in Alligator Bayou.
We went back in 10 and instead of experiencing a different resort, we came back to POR. (Mag Manor.)

I know another Disney nut who researches everything, and she swears by FQ.

My only complaint was the busses. It did seem like there were not enough, but this was 5 or 7 years ago and I'm impatient.

Anyway- enjoy your stay. I need to add this- the rooms themselves are not the attraction- its the hotel around the rooms.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom