Hotels with rental car desks in Port Canaveral area ?

Phonedave

Original Poster
We (meaning me, and my daughters ages 9 and 12) will be crusing on the Disney Dream in July (2011)

On our other cruise trips we have arrived a day before and stayed at WDW, either taking Disney transport to the cruise port or renting a car one way and driving over to the cruise port.

This year, for a combination of reasons (one being because I am short on DVC points) we would like to stay BEFORE the cruise in the port area (we will be going to WDW after the cruise).

What I would like to do is rent a car at MCO, drive down (over) to Port Canaveral and get a hotel room in the area. We would either arrive early in the AM or maybe even two days before the cruise and use the time to do some things in the area (Space Center, Cocoa Beach, etc).

What would be ideal is if there was a hotel in the area, that has both shuttle service to the cruise port and a rental car desk (A National one would be super cool). That way I could drive over, use the car, and return it at the hotel. Then take the shuttle to the cruise port on departure day. A cab ride on the day of the cruise is another option.
A final option is a hotel located near a rental car (again National would be great) agency, so I could drop off the car at night and walk back. Keep in mind my daughters are with me. If it was just myself, a 2 mile walk is not a problem - it would give me something to do, but having my kids with me makes that distance requirement a lot shorter (and not through questionable areas)

So, anybody have any hotel recommendations?

Thanks

-dave

Phonedave

Original Poster
Check the Disney Cruise Line area on mousesavers.com - it has Port Canaveral hotel and car rental info.

Did that yesterday - useless

The mention a lot of hotels with shuttels.

They mention a lot of rental car places.

They do not mention hotels with rental car desks, or in close proximity to rental car agencies.

-dave

smk

There has to be a solution! Start calling the hotels in the area and ask :shrug:? I am sure it comes up a lot and there is probably a simple solution that is hard to find.

Phonedave

Original Poster
There has to be a solution! Start calling the hotels in the area and ask :shrug:? I am sure it comes up a lot and there is probably a simple solution that is hard to find.

I am sure there is too.

I thought maybe someone here had already done the leg work :)

-dave

erstwo

I have no idea, BUT I'm now following this thread very closely because I need this kind of info too!

I'd let you know what I find out after our cruise at the end of June..... but that might be cutting it a little close. I hope you have a great cruise with your children!

Disneyfalcon

I missed this thread!

We always rent a car and stay a night in Port Canaveral. I don't know of a local hotel with a car rental desk, but rental cars are still easy.

All of the car rental companies run a frequent shuttle to the ports. On the morning we board, one person drops everyone off at the port. Then they drive to the car rental agency and drop off the car. They then catch the shuttle back to the terminal. We have used Budget, Hertz and Avis. They all have locations within 5 miles of the port.

If the person taking the car leaves their passport with everyone else, their family can check in without them. They can't board, but they can be all checked in.

Just FYI, we always stay at the Radisson Resort at the Port, or the Residence Inn. The Radisson has a great pool, and very nice suites with huge jacuzzi tubs if you upgrade to a suite. The Radisson is usually a little more (they have a good military discount though) but it's all suites and there's a great hot breakfast included in the price.

We've done this many times, so feel free to ask questions!:)

Phonedave

Original Poster
I missed this thread!

We always rent a car and stay a night in Port Canaveral. I don't know of a local hotel with a car rental desk, but rental cars are still easy.

All of the car rental companies run a frequent shuttle to the ports. On the morning we board, one person drops everyone off at the port. Then they drive to the car rental agency and drop off the car. They then catch the shuttle back to the terminal. We have used Budget, Hertz and Avis. They all have locations within 5 miles of the port.

If the person taking the car leaves their passport with everyone else, their family can check in without them. They can't board, but they can be all checked in.

Just FYI, we always stay at the Radisson Resort at the Port, or the Residence Inn. The Radisson has a great pool, and very nice suites with huge jacuzzi tubs if you upgrade to a suite. The Radisson is usually a little more (they have a good military discount though) but it's all suites and there's a great hot breakfast included in the price.

We've done this many times, so feel free to ask questions!:)

Thanks,

I was trying to avoid the extra step of going to the rental agency in the morning, dropping off the car, and then heading to the terminal. I wanted to just take a hotel shuttle straight to the terminal. I have rented a car and drove from Orlando to the Port in the morning and dropped a car off, so I know I can do that. (I used National)

I LOVE your idea of dropping people off at the port with luggage and ID and checking everyone in. However . . . . It's me, my 12 year old daughter, and my 9 year old daughter - at this point in time that plan is not going to work.

I assume Marie is familar with the hotels you mention? Because of course, KK booked the cruise :D I may just have to go with dropping the car off in the AM and taking the rental shuttle to the port. It's not that big a deal.

I did find a hotel that is 1/4 mile from a rental agency, but they don't seem to offer a shuttle to the port (the hotel, not the agency) so that sort of kills the idea.

-dave

shoppingnut

Don't forget to check the car rental price for Enterprise, they are also at the port too. I generally use National because of the type of better pricing and my corporate discount. However, when we are going next week, Marie & I are renting a car for the way back to the airport since our flight is so late, figure we'd head to a park for the day and after checking prices, Enterprise was the least expensive for a one way rental. The only thing with Enterprise and doing a one way rental is that you need to call them on the 800 number. National, Hertz & Avis were all $80 and Enterprise was $50.

Disneyfalcon

Of course we did! :D. Marie can help with them. They both have shuttles but you're right that won't help you much.

You're also right you can't just drop the kids off.:).

We haven't ever found the rental car shuttles to be a big pain in the neck. Other then the "I'm dying to get there as soon as possible" feeling that comes when you can see that ship on the horizon!:lol:

toolsnspools

Great advice on the rentals. I just emailed Hertz today to see what their routine was for getting perople to/from the port. If there's anything interesting in their reply, I'll post it.

Phonedave

Original Poster
Don't forget to check the car rental price for Enterprise, they are also at the port too. I generally use National because of the type of better pricing and my corporate discount. However, when we are going next week, Marie & I are renting a car for the way back to the airport since our flight is so late, figure we'd head to a park for the day and after checking prices, Enterprise was the least expensive for a one way rental. The only thing with Enterprise and doing a one way rental is that you need to call them on the 800 number. National, Hertz & Avis were all $80 and Enterprise was $50.

I check around too, but like you I get a corporate rate at National, so most of the time they end up being the cheapest. Not always, but most of the time.

-dave

Phonedave

Original Poster
Of course we did! :D. Marie can help with them. They both have shuttles but you're right that won't help you much.

You're also right you can't just drop the kids off.:).

We haven't ever found the rental car shuttles to be a big pain in the neck. Other then the "I'm dying to get there as soon as possible" feeling that comes when you can see that ship on the horizon!:lol:

Well that pretty much hits the nail on the head :)

-dave

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom