Hotel occupancy for the first half of 2014

seascape

Original Poster
Unlike others on this website, I do not make up numbers. These are from http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-hotel-occupancy-reports-june-20140721,0,7161986.story

The first half of 2014 has been kind to Central Florida's hotel industry, with properties routinely reporting year-over-year gains. Through the first six months of the year, occupancy rates for the region were running at 76.9 percent, compared with 73.9 percent for the first half of 2013.

Average room rates during that time were up 5.6 percent and revenue per available room was up almost 10 percent.

arko

you grabbed one statistic out of many

the Summer season isn't starting out so well
-"Central Florida's hotel occupancy rates were almost flat in June, rising from 75 percent last year to 75.4 percent this year."

Not every area is seeing increases
-"Hotels near International Drive recorded an average occupancy rate of 76.9 percent, down slightly from last year. Room rates, however, rose to $117.57 per night and revenue per available room inched up from $89.11 to $90.40."

-"Hotels in east Kissimmee turned in the worst performance for June. The occupancy rate fell from 68.1 percent to 64.7 percent"

It also shows that non Disney hotels in Lake Buena Vista look like they are taking customers away from Disney resorts

"STR found that hotels in the Lake Buena Vista area, near Walt Disney World, posted the best numbers. June occupancy rates in that area were 83.7 percent, up from about 80 percent last year."

Looking at the average room rate of $121.29 at those hotels Disney is pricing itself out of these markets with values going for much more than that during the same period.

cw1982

I'm going to assume this is a continuation from something in the spirited thread, but since I don't have time to thumb back through there right now, I'll bite...

What exactly are you trying to prove with your quote? I don't see much of an assertion there beyond references to numbers that don't mean much on their own.

SoccerMickey

Usually these figures don't include Disney's numbers. Not sure if this report does or not, but to be fair everyone in Central Florida was expecting the beginning of the summer to be soft due to World Cup in Brazil, taking away a lot of the South American tourists. Now that the games are over business has picked up to what the hotels, restaurants, and retail establishments are used to. Not lots of gains but pretty much riding flat. It's no secret that most businesses rely on Disney to drive their traffic and I find it interesting that it APPEARS (don't usher any proof confirming or debunking this myth) that Disney did not do anything big to compete with the South American dollars who were on the fence of going to Orlando or Brasil .for the games. I know Bob Iger has said that he sees Parks and Resorts growth will focus on more international parks than the US parks but when a big event that takes away a big chunk of your summer audience you'd fight to keep it.
Or is this a sign of things to come? With the parks being overcrowded and all the up charges Disney is doing, do we think there will come a time when they will say no more your groups, if you want a tour you can schedule one with us, and that will also eliminate revenue being taken away by bloggers and such that charge high fees for guided tours.

seascape

Original Poster
you grabbed one statistic out of many

the Summer season isn't starting out so well
-"Central Florida's hotel occupancy rates were almost flat in June, rising from 75 percent last year to 75.4 percent this year."

Not every area is seeing increases
-"Hotels near International Drive recorded an average occupancy rate of 76.9 percent, down slightly from last year. Room rates, however, rose to $117.57 per night and revenue per available room inched up from $89.11 to $90.40."

-"Hotels in east Kissimmee turned in the worst performance for June. The occupancy rate fell from 68.1 percent to 64.7 percent"

It also shows that non Disney hotels in Lake Buena Vista look like they are taking customers away from Disney resorts

"STR found that hotels in the Lake Buena Vista area, near Walt Disney World, posted the best numbers. June occupancy rates in that area were 83.7 percent, up from about 80 percent last year."

Looking at the average room rate of $121.29 at those hotels Disney is pricing itself out of these markets with values going for much more than that during the same period.
Yes I only posted part of the story but nowhere in the story does it say Disney is down. As a matter of fact it still shows an increase in occupancy percentage although the smallest of the year. The area that was down was by Universal. But that is because Cabana Bay opened and will all the new rooms the rate is down. The fact that Hotel row was up 3.7% from 80 to 83.7 indicates Disney was up not down. Anyway on 8/5/14 we will know how Disney did when the their numbers come out. I expect the Disney parks to have an improvement in cash flow and profits of more than Universal's 2.5%. Also if you look at Disney's park schedule for the rest of the year and the fact that the hours at MK, DHS and AK are all longer than in 2013 one had to conclude that hotel reservations for the Disney properties are way up. Only on this site does anyone think that Disney's hotel capasity stinks.

arko

Yes I only posted part of the story but nowhere in the story does it say Disney is down. As a matter of fact it still shows an increase in occupancy percentage although the smallest of the year. The area that was down was by Universal. But that is because Cabana Bay opened and will all the new rooms the rate is down. The fact that Hotel row was up 3.7% from 80 to 83.7 indicates Disney was up not down. Anyway on 8/5/14 we will know how Disney did when the their numbers come out. I expect the Disney parks to have an improvement in cash flow and profits of more than Universal's 2.5%. Also if you look at Disney's park schedule for the rest of the year and the fact that the hours at MK, DHS and AK are all longer than in 2013 one had to conclude that hotel reservations for the Disney properties are way up. Only on this site does anyone think that Disney's hotel capasity stinks.

Well considering as a Florida resident I can get Cabana Bay for 99$ a night next week, and the best WDW can do is ancient All Star Music for 111$, I know where I am staying if given the choice. If Spirit is right and WDW is going to start cannibalizing its Deluxe resorts for DVC then its fairly obvious WDW has priced itself out of the market and doesn't care because it can maintain enough of the market to fill part of those resorts and sell the rest off to DVC members. I have stayed on site twice in the last 5 years because I see no reason for it anymore, the value just isn't there. Also its hard to tell what Disney's numbers mean as they include all resorts so it is impossible to show just how much WDW did increase.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Hotel occupancy rates can be deceiving. Are they counting total rooms or available rooms??? If a bunch of rooms are out of action for remodels or whatever it will push up the occupancy rate even though the hotel is actually renting out less rooms then the year before.
And I'm pretty sure Disney can mark rooms "out of service" for pretty much no reason at all if they really wanted to play with their occupancy statistics.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Unlike others on this website, I do not make up numbers. These are from http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-hotel-occupancy-reports-june-20140721,0,7161986.story

The first half of 2014 has been kind to Central Florida's hotel industry, with properties routinely reporting year-over-year gains. Through the first six months of the year, occupancy rates for the region were running at 76.9 percent, compared with 73.9 percent for the first half of 2013.

Average room rates during that time were up 5.6 percent and revenue per available room was up almost 10 percent.
No, you just highlight the ones you like the best....

devoy1701

You can't imply that Disney's occupancy rate is up just because hotel row had a higher occupancy. For all we know it could be share shift. I wouldn't doubt it either. We are planning to do either S&D or Hyatt Grand Cypress this fall instead of staying on site. We used to stay on site for all of our visits.

seascape

Original Poster
It really is the only true indicator of not only hotel occupancy but truthfulness in SEC filings.
I don't know what the numbers will be on August 5th but I am sure they will show a larger first half of 2014 increase in profits than universal did. 2.5% increase in cash flow from the parks is a rather poor number. When I posted the uni profits over on the uni thread I didn't say that and put a positive spin on it and said they should do much better in the second half of the year will all the room open for the full 6 months. Also now that DA is open and all the rooms anything less than a massive increase in park profits and cash flow will be extremely disappointing. Most people here were predicting up to 20% increase in park attendance and they should have a 40% gain in hotel guests just based on the percentage increase in new hotel rooms. We will find the answer in 6 months on how Universal is doing.

danpam1024

I don't know what the numbers will be on August 5th but I am sure they will show a larger first half of 2014 increase in profits than universal did. 2.5% increase in cash flow from the parks is a rather poor number. When I posted the uni profits over on the uni thread I didn't say that and put a positive spin on it and said they should do much better in the second half of the year will all the room open for the full 6 months. Also now that DA is open and all the rooms anything less than a massive increase in park profits and cash flow will be extremely disappointing. Most people here were predicting up to 20% increase in park attendance and they should have a 40% gain in hotel guests just based on the percentage increase in new hotel rooms. We will find the answer in 6 months on how Universal is doing.
I think the best indicator of how Uni (vs Disney) is doing would be a year from now (after next summer)- people plan these types of vacations pretty far in advance. CBBR isn't at a high capacity purely because people had already booked their plans when it began taking reservations. As a Fl resident, it is a great mini trip option for the time being.

seascape

Original Poster
This is the Universal plan. It sounds like Disney. These are all from news sources.

"And all of those people staying in those hotel rooms would be more likely to go to our theme parks," Burke added. "So I think, strategically, we need to get those hotel rooms open and build out the resort."

Burke told analysts that NBCUniversal wants to position the Universal theme parks as "a family destination in and of itself, and not an add-on destination for somebody that spends three or four days somewhere else."

Universal has implemented other strategies designed to steer visitors into spending more time in its theme parks. Just before Wizarding World opened in 2010, Universal introduced a new price scale — modeled after Disney World's — that offers three- and four-day passes with cheaper per-day prices than one-day tickets.

Therefore, does anyone still doubt that Universal is doing the same thing Disney is? They want people to stay on site, locking in their entire vacation. This is what you are all saying is wrong and Disney is wrong for doing it.

GLaDOS

Just before Wizarding World opened in 2010, Universal introduced a new price scale — modeled after Disney World's — that offers three- and four-day passes with cheaper per-day prices than one-day tickets.

What? They always had that pricing structure.

Also, clearly a resort wants as many people staying on it as possible. The point is Universal is actually building attractions to go along with it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom