Horizons

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Original Journey into Imagination will make a half return along with a new ending for Spaceship Earth before Horizons ever returns. No matter what that was a real dated looking building and it looked like a disaster waiting to happen. The siding on it made the building look like some fancy metal hangar. but I don't think anything but a new version of horizons should have been put in that spot correcting all the mistakes of the old attraction. No matter what Horizons would have been in for an overhaul inside and out.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Even if the sinkhole never happened, there definitely was a problem with the roof (albeit not a structural problem per se). There is a post on Mesa Verde Times that highlights water damage in show scenes caused by a major roof leak. Yet again this confirms that Disney did not care at all by that point.
Most Futureworld pavilions had problems with their roofs. It wasn't classed as a big deal.

MerlinTheGoat

No need to be ugly about it, Marni. I quoted what I'd read, and upon further reading (both here and elsewhere) the story about the sinkhole seems to be unsubstantiated rumor. As much as I loved Horizons, it did need a lot of work to bring it up to spec. Of course I wish that Disney had seen fit to spend the bucks. But they have much more data than I do, and perhaps it just didn't make sense to throw money at a pig.
Spaceship Earth has been overhauled three times since its creation, and it isn't even a very future-heavy ride (only the finale descent). Even Living with the Land got a major overhaul in the early-mid 90's with some scene alterations (its greenhouse scenes are continually cared for and occasionally swapped out with different exhibits even today).

Even needing updates, Horizons actually felt more futuristic than literally anything else in Future World today (including Mission Space). And for the cost it took to build Mission Space, they could have updated Horizons multiple times, easily addressing any issues of feeling dated. The first half of the ride didn't even really need fixing, as it was more of a timeless lighthearted look at how previous generations perceived the future. But even the real future scenes are still relatively out there in terms of what we're able to do in 2015. Underwater and space colonies are still largely beyond us, and even things such as desert irrigation, holograms and such are still a ways out. Most of the changes required would have been very minor, mostly the aesthetic design of architecture, clothes and the shape and appearance of computers, TV's, other electronics etc).

Even the idea of a flying car is just as cool and out there as it has been since the Jetsons, it's the design of said flying car however that has changed. In this day, most people's idea of what a flying can would LOOK like would not be Jetsons-inspired. Again, the concepts are almost all still futuristic, it's the appearance of those technologies that needed updating.

The problem is that Disney abandoned the idea of Future World in the mid 90's. A betrayal shortly after the construction of Innoventions. And despite what some apologists may try to argue, no it is not an impossible or even a particularly difficult or expensive task to keep up with Future tech. As mentioned with Horizons, there's a TON of exciting future tech being looked into that won't arrive for decades or longer. And with CES happening every year, Disney can stand to do something similar with Innoventions as well as give their headliner rides (the originals) a nice upgrade every 5 years or so. An infinitely less wealthy (yet still massively profitable) corporation built EPCOT and vowed a commitment to maintaining its vision, the modern version of this company can afford to do the same.

Last edited:

danyoung56

And for the cost it took to build Mission Space, they could have updated Horizons multiple times, easily addressing any issues of feeling dated.

I've always had a perception of this move by Disney as being somewhat out of touch with their guests. I'm sure it made perfect sense on spreadsheets to tear Horizons out and put in their newest and greatest attraction, Mission: Space. But in reality, not only was M:S something of a bust, but the outcry over the demise of Horizons was much louder than they anticipated (and is still going on today!). They did the same thing when they dumped Toad - put in a much cooler, much more technologically impressive attraction. What's not to like? They realized (too late) that Toad had a pretty large fan base that weren't going to be appeased by Pooh.

Goofyernmost

I've always had a perception of this move by Disney as being somewhat out of touch with their guests. I'm sure it made perfect sense on spreadsheets to tear Horizons out and put in their newest and greatest attraction, Mission: Space. But in reality, not only was M:S something of a bust, but the outcry over the demise of Horizons was much louder than they anticipated (and is still going on today!). They did the same thing when they dumped Toad - put in a much cooler, much more technologically impressive attraction. What's not to like? They realized (too late) that Toad had a pretty large fan base that weren't going to be appeased by Pooh.
The problem is, and this is in no way connected with my feelings about Horizon, that the outcry is no where near as loud as people may think it is. It is pretty much limited to a few people that frequent the discussion boards, but, otherwise it is basically forgotten. Sorry to break that bubble, but, every once in awhile reality should at least be introduced as a thought.

I was 37 or 38 when I first saw Horizons. It wasn't yet open when I was there in 1983. I rode it just about every trip from then till it disappeared. I liked it, but, was totally bored with it by the time it met it's end and now I am completely over it. One of the reasons is that at age 67 I enjoy Mission: Space massively more then I ever did Horizons. Unfortunately, I think that a lot of people feel that way. We all remember fondly the early collection of rides at EPCOT Ctr., but, they were all Omni Rides and basically the same thing, all partially history and partially future. The truth is that they overlapped each other in many ways. There needed to be a change whether we like it or not. What they did, with the exception of Imagination, is an improvement in my opinion. Imagination is an example of what you get when the public refuses to accept change, tokenism.

danyoung56

... the outcry is no where near as loud as people may think it is. It is pretty much limited to a few people that frequent the discussion boards, but, otherwise it is basically forgotten. Sorry to break that bubble, but, every once in awhile reality should at least be introduced as a thought.

While you're right that the average park visitor probably doesn't even remember Horizons, there is enough of a consistent sense on the forums that Horizons is greatly missed to make that an important viewpoint. You could easily make the point that ALL of the folks who frequent online fan forums are such a small percentage of Disney park visitors that they don't really matter. But I feel that there are enough of us who know enough and care enough about the parks and are vocal about our feelings and disappointments to make up an important part of the park storming populace. And there are so many online folks that have mentioned a love for Horizons that I think it's a valid point of view that Disney made a bad move there by destroying it.

And you are in a very small minority of folks who like Mission: Space better than Horizons.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
And you are in a very small minority of folks who like Mission: Space better than Horizons.
If we are just talking the online Disney community you would probably be correct.

However, if we include the other 98% of the populace that flows through the gates of Epcot everyday I don't think that opinion would hold true.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I'm sure this has been brought up before, but if not, first timers may enjoy this... it's a virtual/controllable walk through of the complete Horizon's attraction... it's a work in progress, but the building, queue, music, many of the show scenes, and ride system are pretty well polished (though a few of the show scenes still need some work)... even gives you the option to choose your ending just like the original attraction... ahh, memories...

http://www.horizonsresurrected.com/unity/Horizons16/horizons.html

danyoung56

If we are just talking the online Disney community you would probably be correct.

However, if we include the other 98% of the populace that flows through the gates of Epcot everyday I don't think that opinion would hold true.

Judging from the lack of any sort of long lines, combined with the fact that for the first time in Disney history they needed to open a milder version of the attraction, I think it's safe to say that M:S is not a hit in any way.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Judging from the lack of any sort of long lines, combined with the fact that for the first time in Disney history they needed to open a milder version of the attraction, I think it's safe to say that M:S is not a hit in any way.
A long line is largely irrelevant. An attraction meeting its capacity numbers, which M:S has consistently done, is.

Horizons was a ghost town toward the end. I was there during Thanksgiving weekend in both 95 and 98 and the ratio of occupied to empty ride vehicles had to be along the lines of 10:1.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I completely agree that there are more folks visiting M:S now than visited Horizons during its last couple of years. But I still say that M:S is in no way the blockbuster hit that Disney wanted it to be.
You are correct. It is not the blockbuster Disney wanted, but it is and adequate attraction.

ABQ

I actually like M:S quite a bit. No, perhaps it's not the epic event they wanted it to be. Some will pan it for being nothing more than a glorified spinner. Sure, that's what it is when you break it down, but it's a little more complicated I think. I love that it had to be appended after it first opened, WDW took a risk with it for sure.
I think the fact that it's 180 degrees from what Horizons was that it gets such a bad rap from the online vocal community that loved Horizons. Perhaps that's warranted, perhaps not.

Berret

In the Parks
No
I know I've read, probably on here, that part of the thought process of taking Horizons down is that it wasn't forward-thinking or futuristic enough, after the many years it had been open. I mean, how much more forward-thinking can you be, to display underwater and space colonies? We certainly don't have those in 2015, although I hope that one day we do have them. I think that given reason was and is pretty flimsy as an excuse.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I completely agree that there are more folks visiting M:S now than visited Horizons during its last couple of years. But I still say that M:S is in no way the blockbuster hit that Disney wanted it to be.
It certainly isn't. The clones for Anaheim and Paris were cancelled on the back of the disappointing reaction to the Orlando version. Not to mention the need to scrap two of the centrifuges.

It's good for what it is, but should have been a lot better (and the preshow to the real pavilion)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom