Hoop Dee Doo cancelled due to power outage (9/22) - why I love Disney

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I sometimes get dragged into the negativity surrounding modern WDW. So I wanted to quick post why I love Disney and keep going back...

We had reservations to the 8:30pm HDD show on 9/22. Right after the show started ALL of Fort Wilderness lost power. We ate in the dark and were entertained by the piano player (former "fingers" from the Adv Club) for about 30 minutes. They finally announced that the show would be cancelled & everyone would be refunded. This was after everyone ate.

We really wanted to see the show so we re-booked to the 4pm show the next day. When we arrived the performers & servers recognized us from the previous night and were surprised we came back again. I told them we really wanted to see the show since I've been coming to it since I was 4. About 1/2 way through the show a manager comes up to our table and says that they refunded us again for "all of our hassles" - there really was no hassle, we just wanted to see the show!

Disney did NOT need to refund us twice and the gesture will not go unnoticed. I plan on writing Disney this weekend to express our gratitude and give kudos to the entire Hoop Dee Doo cast for making the best of a bad situation.

NYwdwfan

I sometimes get dragged into the negativity surrounding modern WDW. So I wanted to quick post why I love Disney and keep going back...

We had reservations to the 8:30pm HDD show on 9/22. Right after the show started ALL of Fort Wilderness lost power. We ate in the dark and were entertained by the piano player (former "fingers" from the Adv Club) for about 30 minutes. They finally announced that the show would be cancelled & everyone would be refunded. This was after everyone ate.

We really wanted to see the show so we re-booked to the 4pm show the next day. When we arrived the performers & servers recognized us from the previous night and were surprised we came back again. I told them we really wanted to see the show since I've been coming to it since I was 4. About 1/2 way through the show a manager comes up to our table and says that they refunded us again for "all of our hassles" - there really was no hassle, we just wanted to see the show!

Disney did NOT need to refund us twice and the gesture will not go unnoticed. I plan on writing Disney this weekend to express our gratitude and give kudos to the entire Hoop Dee Doo cast for making the best of a bad situation.

Thanks for sharing. I love HDDR as well and would have re-booked also! I have an odd question (I tend to obsess about the weirdest things...) - how dark was it in Pioneer Hall? Were there generators for partial light? Was there lighting in the kitchen area (or could you not tell from where you were sitting)? Candlelight from the tables? Did it get extremely warm from the A/C not working? Just curious.

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Thanks for sharing. I love HDDR as well and would have re-booked also! I have an odd question (I tend to obsess about the weirdest things...) - how dark was it in Pioneer Hall? Were there generators for partial light? Was there lighting in the kitchen area (or could you not tell from where you were sitting)? Candlelight from the tables? Did it get extremely warm from the A/C not working? Just curious.

They have emergency lighting and they put lanterns out on the tables but with no power, the kitchen couldn't function, soda machines were not working, and the actors microphones didn't work. I have some photos that I will go find and post when I have a moment. We were only there for about 45 min after the power went out and it wasn't TOO warm, but if we would have stayed longer I'm sure it would have warmed up a bit. Since it was the 830 show it was already dark out which helped.

NYwdwfan

They have emergency lighting and they put lanterns out on the tables but with no power, the kitchen couldn't function, soda machines were not working, and the actors microphones didn't work. I have some photos that I will go find and post when I have a moment. We were only there for about 45 min after the power went out and it wasn't TOO warm, but if we would have stayed longer I'm sure it would have warmed up a bit. Since it was the 830 show it was already dark out which helped.
Thanks - it fascinates me how well they are able to handle it when things go wrong.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

It's great to see that this kind of customer service still exists at WDW, Glad you had a good time!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom