Hoop Dee Do Revue Adults Only Review

Dpint43

Original Poster
So first off...can someone tell me they didn't like HDDR for once to temper my expectations? It seems almost impossible this place gets such glowing reviews all the time...

But that is precisely why we're thinking of going...it will be two adults with no children. For the most part we enjoy the Disney entertainment shows but I just want to know if HDDR would be too cheesy? (please take off those Disney Goggles people :) I read reviews of adults only saying the show is awesome (but they've been going for 20 years so I'm always skeptical if it's more nostalgia then anything else)...I'd love to hear what a party of adults only have thought after going for their first time recently.

Also - I've heard there's a lot of crowd interaction...is this more a total crowd interaction or something like an individual getting pulled up on stage? If so, are we "safer" from individual interaction on the balcony? (Just trying to determine how much of the endless alcohol should be consumed)

Thanks!

NYwdwfan

So first off...can someone tell me they didn't like HDDR for once to temper my expectations? It seems almost impossible this place gets such glowing reviews all the time...

But that is precisely why we're thinking of going...it will be two adults with no children. For the most part we enjoy the Disney entertainment shows but I just want to know if HDDR would be too cheesy? (please take off those Disney Goggles people :) I read reviews of adults only saying the show is awesome (but they've been going for 20 years so I'm always skeptical if it's more nostalgia then anything else)...I'd love to hear what a party of adults only have thought after going for their first time recently.

Also - I've heard there's a lot of crowd interaction...is this more a total crowd interaction or something like an individual getting pulled up on stage? If so, are we "safer" from individual interaction on the balcony? (Just trying to determine how much of the endless alcohol should be consumed)

Thanks!
It's hokey. It's cheesy. It's still funny though. They go into the crowd looking for people from different places and also for people celebrating milestones like birthdays and anniversaries. If you don't raise your hand, they won't come to you. They do quietly ask people to come on stage for the finale but they would ASK you first, and you can of course decline. I'm sure it's possible to not enjoy yourself but it's a really fun atmosphere and pretty easy to laugh, eat, drink and really have a blast.

Minnie Mum

I suppose it's possible to not enjoy yourself. If you've got no sense of humor and are expecting a Broadway style show and gourmet food. If you won't enjoy a deliberately corny, loud and lively, funny vaudeville show. If you have some objection to the cast mingling in the audience and seeing the other guests singing (and even dancing along). No one is going to force you to participate if you don't want to. This is a FUN event, for all ages.

Yes, there is AYCTE beer wine and sangria for the adults, served along with the meal. But I've not seen a lot of overindulgence.

But I'm one of those who have seen it many times over many more than 20 years (in fact, over 40 years). No rose colored glasses needed - this is a dinner show that we have always enjoyed, whether as a couple or a multi generation family. But if my opinion isn't valid because I've gone too often, consider my son in law who saw it for the first time on our last visit (a 30 something millenial) who thought it was the best thing we did all week.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
No rose colored glasses here we have seen it at least 6 times now and do it every trip after we did it once. After the first show that you are looking for reviews we knew we wanted to keep coming back no questions. Loved it not just liked it. We don't waste our money on mediocre food or experiences while at WDW. We only repeat them if we truely enjoy. The Christmas season version is our favorite and will be doing it again this December.
We go to the 8:30pm show and do Catagory 1 seating. It also is just me and the DH no kids. We love it and love the food. It's not signature restaurant quality food (we love Cali Grill, Jiko, Artist Point, and many other signatures each trip and regular non signatures) but it's delicious regular southern American home cooking type food. It's nice to have some traditional home cooking type foods when eating at a lot of other fancier food places while we are at WDW and on other vacations that we also enjoy. Also the show never fails to make us laugh and we have been part of it the interaction, well the DH has before. They only interact with a handful of people during the show and the balcony seating is not the best seating so I don't recommend it. Do Catagory 2 if you don't want up front downstairs. For us it has never been a disappointment yet. ;)

Last edited:

MotherofaPrincessLover

I booked this on my last trip and was pretty vague with my husband about what it was because I thought he would hate it. He absolutely loved it and I booked it as a surprise for him on our next trip. I also enjoyed it but things are always a little less enjoyable when I'm trying to keep the baby content :rolleyes:

Hockey89

Love the show... Been probably 20 times... Been on stage a couple times.... The food is Blah, but I still enjoy it a lot...

Marc Levin

Thanks!

When we went on our last trip (2 years ago), we found the food to be "fast food quality" (fried chicken, spare ribs, corn and fries), and the show reasonably entertaining (but don't go in expecting a Broadway / West End performance!). Overall we came out feeling that we could have better spent the 2 hours + travel time at the pool or in the parks. The consensus was that the best thing about it was the pony ride my daughter got to do in Fort Wilderness (she still remembers that the pony was named "Nemo").

It is hugely cheesy, but they do load you up with enough alcohol to make it a lot more entertaining than it otherwise would be! Note it's only as "limitless" as often as they come around to refill it.

This trip we're avoiding any and all dinner shows because we know we'll come out thinking we should have spent our valuable time doing something else. We have however booked tickets to La Nouba, as that means we can get dinner somewhere with good food, and watch a proper show afterwards.

There, you asked for it! :D

Last edited:

MDonna

The only big down side I can think of is that you may want to carry some skin-applied insect repellent if you're taking the ferry back to MK after the show, depending on the time of year. The ferry sometimes attracts a tremendous amount of bugs late in the day/early night

JIMINYCR

Theres a reason guests have kept going back time after time, year after year. Its one of the best guest shows on property. I honestly cant say anything negative about it unless its to say some of the routines will make you groan. Its like watching the old time comedians of yesterdays vadeville. It is refreshing to hear routines that are clean, fun and no-one gets offended. You're there to have a fun time and just join in as much as you like. You will get a better show experience with a table at floor seating.

lilclerk

We're two adults no kids and did HDD for the first time in ... 2009? We were adults in our mid-20s. Still loved it and have gone back almost every trip since. We also always sit on the floor, never in the balcony as my friend has a problem with heights, and have never been singled out for any interaction, but we also never raise our hands for anything. We've been right in front with our table touching the stage, in the middle of the floor, and the very back row right in front of the entrance (this was my favorite spot.)

buseegal

remember if you sit in balcony and have adult drinks you will have to get down the stairs at end of night. granted I have only been with large family group and all ages have enjoyed. it is cheesy but fun. performers do come up to balcony and other parts of theater not just front tables. if you are looking for a fancy meal and Broadway style show this will not be for you but if a family/old time show and meal then you will enjoy

Plowboy

We went to the HDDR for the first time in (like) 20+ years during our most recent trip. The last time we went our son was about 13 or 14. He's now 35. Wow, how time flys. Anyway, it was cheesy, corny, funny, and we had a ball. The food and service was very good, and as an extra bonus we were seated stage front, next to the piano and banjo player, so we had a little conversation with them during the evening. We thoroughly enjoyed it. Being's we were in the front row I was sucked into the show's interaction, but it was harmless and funny. (I'd also had several beers by then). Don't hesitate going!

SuzGM84

My DH and I went this past December. He'd gone to the HDDR multiple times as a kid (and was even on stage once). I had never been before. Obviously DH had the nostalgia factor going for him, but I also loved it. It was a fun show, great food (loved the dessert) and an overall good time. Having never been to that part of FW before (stayed in our family camper as a kid, but never ventured to the amenities on property), so seeing that whole area was an extra bonus for me. We will definitely go again (maybe not next trip - we're eyeing SofA for our next dinner show).

Side note - DH and I are in our early 30s, no kids.

Weather_Lady

Did you grow up (as many of us "of a certain age" did) watching and enjoying shows like, "Hee Haw"? If you did, you'll love HDDR. It's that kind of silly, slapstick humor -- but with excellent production values and a delicious meal to boot. I've been to HDDR at age 6, age 30 and age 40, and have enjoyed it equally every time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom