Hong Kong Expansion = Anaheim Expansion?

TP2000

Original Poster
Today the execs from Hong Kong Disneyland announced a $1.4 Billion expansion of the park over the next six years. Coming to the park is a bizarre remake of the cloned Anaheim castle, a new Frozen Land with two attractions, and a Marvel Land expansion of Tomorrowland that removes Autopia and Buzz Lightyear and replaces them with new Marvel rides.
http://attractionsmagazine.com/hong...rea-and-more-as-part-of-multi-year-expansion/

Here's the map of Hong Kong Disneyland when all of this is completed in 2023.
HKDL-SITEPLAN-161121-re.jpg

With the exception of the ego-driven Castle makeover (that has all sorts of inappropriate jokes already written for it), the Frozen and Marvel announcements seem to match up directly with the as-yet unannounced Anaheim expansion that the last year of Miceage Updates and good, solid rumors from our friendly insiders here have all been talking about. Hello @GiveMeTheMusic!

That is, Frozen land and E-Ticket for Disneyland wedged between Toontown and Fantasyland Theater on the "Future Expansion" that the now famous Miceage map of Star Wars Land featured back in 2015. Also, the rumored Marvel themed mega-coaster E Ticket for DCA that Al Lutz Miceage Updates have said is planned for the parking lot between Tower of Terror and Cars Land.
StarWarsExpansion-After-610x518.jpg

Here's the Frozen Land expansion area for Hong Kong...
Frozen-themed-area.jpg

And the Marvel remake of Hong Kong's Tomorrowland... (Buh-bye Autopia!)
Marvel-themed-area.jpg

Would one of our youngsters here who are technologically inclined care to cut and paste the expansion areas from that Hong Kong Disneyland map above onto the "Expansion Pad" north of Fantasyland and an aerial map of the parking lot south of Tower of Terror? An aerial map or Google Earth image of the Anaheim parks with these two major new Hong Kong developments grafted onto them might prove to be a peek into the near future for Anaheim.

Something tells me that the big Hong Kong announcement today has major hints for what is also coming to Anaheim sooner rather than later. Your thoughts?

Last edited:

truecoat

Would one of our youngsters here who are technologically inclined care to cut and paste the expansion areas from that Hong Kong Disneyland map above onto the "Expansion Pad" north of Fantasyland and an aerial map of the parking lot south of Tower of Terror? An aerial map or Google Earth image of the Anaheim parks with these two major new Hong Kong developments grafted onto them might prove to be a peek into the near future for Anaheim.

I'm not a youngster by no means but this is close to scale with Disneyland. It would fit with a slightly different config. I'll get the Marvel one done in a bit.

Frozen.jpg

GiveMeTheMusic

The main Frozen ride for HKDL is not the same as the one proposed for TDS/DL, which is a trackless mega dark ride. Frozen for HKDL is shaping up to be a boat ride - like Epcot's, only purpose built with better capacity and I can only imagine a better collection of scenes. With Mystic Manor steps away they may have thought that going trackless wouldn't be best for the park's attraction makeup. The Arendelle area is likely to be similar to what is built for TDS and DL.

Also, I don't believe either of the Marvel attractions from HKDL are set for DCA. The first new attraction, an Ant-Man retheme of Buzz Lightyear, wouldn't make much sense in DCA as a new build. The second, the main E ticket for 2023, is likely to be unique to HKDL and not the Captain America coaster hybrid planned for DCA.

I would love for a Moana attraction to be built somewhere - the movie screams out to be a classic Disney boat ride - but I don't know where at DLR it could possibly go. Moana doesn't really fit into the aesthetic of DL's Adventureland (not that there's any place to put it anyway), and it certainly wouldn't fit anywhere at DCA. It would make a killer centerpiece to a South Pacific port at TDS. The show art for HKDL looks great, so I'm glad someone is running with something for it.

HKDL loves exclusivity. It's unlikely that anything built as part of this expansion will be seen at any other resort for at least 5 years, if ever.

D

Deleted member 107043

I can't stop staring at the breathtaking Avengers concept art for Tomorrowland. :jawdrop: DL's TL is basically poop and the HKDL artwork only makes it look even more antiquated.

westie

Interesting. I had read a rumor, yes rumor, over on mice chat that Star Tours was going to be replaced by Iron Man Experience and Star Tours was moving to Star Wars land. Not from Disney, no permits as proof, not from a CM, just info from a poor lurker like myself.

mickEblu

I would love for a Moana attraction to be built somewhere - the movie screams out to be a classic Disney boat ride - but I don't know where at DLR it could possibly go. Moana doesn't really fit into the aesthetic of DL's Adventureland (not that there's any place to put it anyway), and it certainly wouldn't fit anywhere at DCA. It would make a killer centerpiece to a South Pacific port at TDS. The show art for HKDL looks great, so I'm glad someone is running with something for it.

She ll just end up in IASW next to Stitch :)

mickEblu

The main Frozen ride for HKDL is not the same as the one proposed for TDS/DL, which is a trackless mega dark ride. Frozen for HKDL is shaping up to be a boat ride - like Epcot's, only purpose built with better capacity and I can only imagine a better collection of scenes. With Mystic Manor steps away they may have thought that going trackless wouldn't be best for the park's attraction makeup. The Arendelle area is likely to be similar to what is built for TDS and DL.

Also, I don't believe either of the Marvel attractions from HKDL are set for DCA. The first new attraction, an Ant-Man retheme of Buzz Lightyear, wouldn't make much sense in DCA as a new build. The second, the main E ticket for 2023, is likely to be unique to HKDL and not the Captain America coaster hybrid planned for DCA.

HKDL loves exclusivity. It's unlikely that anything built as part of this expansion will be seen at any other resort for at least 5 years, if ever.

Glad to hear that DLR isn't borrowing from the HKDL plans. The Cap hybrid Coaster and trackless Frozen trackless E ticket sound much better.

Where I would welcome a new boat ride is at DCA.

D

Deleted member 107043

I will say that the artwork looks beautiful but...another large section taken up by a single IP. Tis the wave of the future.

If you think about it single IP driven environments have been a thing for some time now in the theme park industry. WWoHP was first announced for USO in 2007, and Cars Land was announced for DCA later that same year. The first Toy Story Playland began construction at DLP in 2009, and it's been five years since the World of Avatar was announced for DAK. There's even a single IP themed Disney hotel now at SDL. The future is already here.

TP2000

Original Poster
I'm not a youngster by no means but this is close to scale with Disneyland. It would fit with a slightly different config. I'll get the Marvel one done in a bit.

View attachment 176137

Thank you! I think that's it exactly. And while the Hong Kong layout may not be the exact Anaheim configuration, it shows what type of scale and scope could fit on that piece of land, which was what I was thinking of.

A second photo of Hong Kong's Frozen Land, a closer shot of the Arendelle village area between the lagoon and two rides.
Frozen-Kingdom-of-Arendelle.jpg

Earl Sweatpants

Thank you! I think that's it exactly. And while the Hong Kong layout may not be the exact Anaheim configuration, it shows what type of scale and scope could fit on that piece of land, which was what I was thinking of.

A second photo of Hong Kong's Frozen Land, a closer shot of the Arendelle village area between the lagoon and two rides.
If I get to Arendelle and there aren't birds flying in the sky....what was this all for?

GiveMeTheMusic

I will say that the artwork looks beautiful but...another large section taken up by a single IP. Tis the wave of the future.

It is indeed. If SDL was being designed right now, I'm sure it would look much different than its very circa 2010-formulated self. Park guests at both Disney and Universal really do love being immersed in their favorite films, and successful IP lands have been well rewarded (Potter, Cars Land, etc.).

Toy Story Land has yet to be successfully implemented. The film doesn't have any immersive environments that can be replicated on a large outdoor scale. In fact, the most immersed I've ever felt in the world of Toy Story is the loading area for TSMM at DHS. You're in a large scale recreation of Andy's room. It's fun, it sets the tone and it's largely well done. TSL overseas is just an ugly collection of flat rides with large, cheap looking props to "theme" it. You never feel like a toy, or like you're in the world of toys, you just feel like you're somewhere ugly (because you are). DHS' iteration doesn't look to be improving on these basic problems. Kathy Mangum talked about it at D23 last year like it was going to be some thematic revelation and then showed us the art - you've stepped into Andy's backyard! Who the hell wants to go to Andy's backyard? Why would I want to be immersed in that?

Not all IPs are good fits for land creation (Toy Story is not one of them). Frozen is a good candidate, as evidenced by the gorgeous art released by HKDL. Star Wars, Avatar, even some Marvel films offer compelling locations and ideas to build single-IP lands around. I think with Star Wars and Frozen on DL's plate, we won't see much else for some time as there simply isn't the room with just destroying what's left of backstage.

GiveMeTheMusic

I don't know which talented Imagineers are behind the decidedly more Ryman-esque concept art released for this project, but kudos to them. It's so much easier on the eyes than the very harsh and cartoony art released for some other recent projects.

Earl Sweatpants

It is indeed. If SDL was being designed right now, I'm sure it would look much different than its very circa 2010-formulated self. Park guests at both Disney and Universal really do love being immersed in their favorite films, and successful IP lands have been well rewarded (Potter, Cars Land, etc.).

Toy Story Land has yet to be successfully implemented. The film doesn't have any immersive environments that can be replicated on a large outdoor scale. In fact, the most immersed I've ever felt in the world of Toy Story is the loading area for TSMM at DHS. You're in a large scale recreation of Andy's room. It's fun, it sets the tone and it's largely well done. TSL overseas is just an ugly collection of flat rides with large, cheap looking props to "theme" it. You never feel like a toy, or like you're in the world of toys, you just feel like you're somewhere ugly (because you are). DHS' iteration doesn't look to be improving on these basic problems. Kathy Mangum talked about it at D23 last year like it was going to be some thematic revelation and then showed us the art - you've stepped into Andy's backyard! Who the hell wants to go to Andy's backyard? Why would I want to be immersed in that?

Not all IPs are good fits for land creation (Toy Story is not one of them). Frozen is a good candidate, as evidenced by the gorgeous art released by HKDL. Star Wars, Avatar, even some Marvel films offer compelling locations and ideas to build single-IP lands around. I think with Star Wars and Frozen on DL's plate, we won't see much else for some time as there simply isn't the room with just destroying what's left of backstage.
Kind of makes you wonder what the suspected 3rd gate at DLR might look like...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom