1. The new WDWMAGIC app for iPhone and iPad is now available on the App Store.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Hong Kong Disneyland Replacing Castle (Confirmed)

Discussion in 'Tokyo, Hong Kong and Shanghai' started by epcot82fan, Nov 10, 2016.

1. epcot82fan

epcot82fan EPCOT Center Purist Original Poster

Wow! Thanks for sharing! So much interesting stuff in that concept art. Street of Dreams has me curious.

Anyways, judging by this, it looks like moving the castle to the back would work very well, and I almost feel as though it will work better. They could open up the area where the castle currently stands by adding turrets there. Think the turrets by 7DMT in New Fantasyland in Magic Kingdom except in front, and themed to match the design of the new castle. Then you enter Fantasyland and off in the distance is the new castle. I could also see them adding a ride of some sort in the castle if they did this. I also think that a further back castle would mesh with the mountains better.

sedati likes this.
  2. MickeyMario

MickeyMario Well-Known Member

That's an idea that dates back to the early plans for the original Disneyland

[​IMG]

sedati and epcot82fan like this.
  3. brb1006

brb1006 Well-Known Member

4. Otamin

Otamin Well-Known Member

It looks to be keeping most of what currently stands, whilst adding to it.

It looks much nicer than the Shanghai castle in my opinion.

5. SirNim

SirNim Well-Known Member

Yeah... much much less boxy and modular than the ESC.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
    epcot82fan and brb1006 like this.
  6. mandstaft

mandstaft Well-Known Member

It should be quite the engineering feat to add this much more to an existing structure.

epcot82fan likes this.
  7. SweetDuffy101

SweetDuffy101 Active Member

i've noticed something about the new castle,is that it still has the original layout of the castle but gotten bigger, and i like the fact they're not going to totally tear it down and make a brand new one, my question is how will this effect the fireworks show in HKDL while the castle is going under construction? will they Focus more on PTN in the meantime or create a new spectacular that doesn't involve the castle itself nor the hub?

epcot82fan likes this.
  8. Ismael Flores

Ismael Flores Well-Known Member

If you look closely to the map of the expansions pointed out you can see an area right behind the castle that is circled. That is supposedly the plot of land that will have this ne Screen-Shot-2016-11-22-at-1.jpg w addition to the castle added

epcot82fan likes this.
  9. IMDREW

IMDREW Member

Ive been to the park and sad to say my friends started laughing when we turned around the corner and saw the castle for the first time. It looks really small and not impressive at all. So a new castle would be much better. Especially a more vertical one like in paris, that works really well!

10. RMichael21

RMichael21 Well-Known Member

No, in that map, the castle extension is already added on.

epcot82fan likes this.
  11. zroyperez

zroyperez New Member

Make it big Hong Kong.. can't wait for another visit to Disneyland...

epcot82fan likes this.
  12. egg

egg Well-Known Member

Of course it's hard to judge from concept art, but as of now, I actually kinda like the look.

I really like the general shape, with it being low and wide on the bottom, and then soaring upward, with one distinctly tall spire. That's good, really good! SDL's doesn't do that right. I think this castle feels far more majestic.

It's got a kind of funky vibe to it, which I like. Sure, it almost looks a bit scary, with those "Kremlin-inspired turrets," but overall, I feel that it's got a pretty unique style. And uniqueness is good, really good!

I do wonder, with this change in style, if it'll remain Sleeping Beauty's castle. Perhaps she will be evicted and it'll become a princess sorority home, like Shanghai's.

But overall, a unique castle is better than a clone of Disneyland's original. A small castle can be seen as "quaint" in a park that's full of history and legacy, built by Walt over 60 years ago. It is simply small in a park built barely over a decade ago, especially compared to big brother Shanghai. I think the castle change will help bolster the park's reputation and drive attendance in the years to come.

13. DDLand

DDLand Well-Known Member

Alright, so I'm wondering if there are any people who know about Fireworks that can help me.

Something overlooked is the fact that FrozenLand is being built in area that was officially designated for Firework Fallout. Obviously the option to build was strong enough to disrupt any previous arrangements, yet it leaves me wondering what they'll do for fireworks. The concept art is all centered on projections and fountains. There is one shot with fireworks, but those appear to be being shot from the base of the castle much like other Magic Kingdom Parks use pyro for stage shows.

Admittedly I know pretty much nothing about fireworks, except that you don't want them falling on people's heads. I'm curious if the Castle was somewhat necessitated by the idea that without large scale fireworks displays, there would need to be a greater reliance on projections and water features. I doubt they want to have to vacate FrozenLand before each show, so by bolstering the size of the castle they could get away with losing their primary launch site.

Do people still think launches are feasible?

epcot82fan likes this.
  14. RandySavage

RandySavage Well-Known Member

This post nicely sums up my own opinion. (I believe it was stated in a press release it is going 'sorority.')

Been hoping for a new HKDL castle for years, but this concept goes a lot further than what I had imagined, in a good way. Also like the idea of vegetation climbing up the towers.

Will be very interesting to see the final form it takes and how seemlessly the original castle is integrated.

Some other pre-opening proposals for HKDL castle:
    HKDL castle concepts.png

Reminder of how much a design can change from concept to construction (Shanghai's earliest castle artwork):
    SDL castle concepts.png