Pre-Trip 2 Broke Guys (now with Table of Contents!)

Important note: First post edited 7/13/17 to make this odyssey easier to follow!

The reason is I started this pre-trip report over a year ago to help plan our most important trip ever (so far) our 10 year wedding anniversary trip.

However, we have AP's, and we took many short "side-trips" along the way. Rather than creating so many Trip Report threads and looking like a total egomaniac, I just added those mini-TR's into this same thread.

People have said it was hard to follow (I can see that.) Someone suggested putting a "table of contents" in the beginning. So that's what I'm doing. Then you can skip to the pages with the other trip reports, or just read the ones pertaining to "the big one" coming up in early September, 2017.

I will post that trip report separately when it finally happens, but will of course link to it here.

Speaking of linking here, here's a little background. This old post details our vow renewals a few years ago, for a very specific reason. If you haven't read my other trip reports or interacted with me very much on the boards, it kind of sets the stage for what's to come. Here's that link:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...orporate-disney-into-your-vow-renewal.903761/

What follows is the original first post (from 2/11/16) of this long, long thread. At the end of it, I'll put the table of contents to guide you through the rest of the thread.

I am sitting here in a hotel in Tampa, just an hour away from "home." And I'm thinking about it LOL. Oh, am I thinking about it.

When I'm "home home" - in Fort Lauderdale, I never have time to do more than some quick posts because I am always busy with work.

This is going to be a long-@ss pre-trip report.

Not necessarily this first post, but the report as a whole - by necessity, since the trip isn't until early September 2017. And I know I can use some help and advice in putting this all together - it's a very special trip - and have already begun organizing my thoughts based on discussions on this forum.

The basic premise is this: We are going to spend our 10-year wedding anniversary celebration at WDW, with the centerpiece of that trip to be the biggest dinner we can afford at Victoria & Albert's (hopefully the chef's table.) One of the things we enjoy most about Disney in our forties are the amazing meals at places like the Flying Fish Cafe and the Yachtsman's Steakhouse. I expect this meal will be at least as mind-blowing, but probably more.

The catch is - it costs a freaking fortune (at least to us.) I'm estimating something like $600 to $800 when all is said and done(?) And there is no way I could justify spending that much money on one meal.

Except...we have the Disney Chase Visa card, and have come to rely on this for our last several trips. This has opened doors to new experiences that we couldn't afford before. Instead of getting a 4-day ticket, we started getting AP's. Instead of staying off property, we started staying at Disney Moderates. And loved it!

And - we have a year off (sort of) to save up for this magical trip and important celebration. For the last several years, we've been getting the Florida Resident Weekday Select Annual Pass every other year, never two years in a row. I think it's good to go away and miss it for awhile, especially with all the work being done. Stay away for a year and come back to lots of little surprises. (Like those metal detectors! Ha!) They're fine. Anyway, that's the responsible side of me to say we shouldn't spend that much money every year. (We really shouldn't.)

But the advantage of that in this case is to amass Disney Chase Visa card points for months on end (sort of.) We used up all the rest of our points on our last short trip in January of 2016. But then at the end of the month, we earned more money. It's just sitting there...LOL.

Well, I made a deal with myself - if I can save up that $700 or $800 just in Chase points, then I can justify booking that meal at Victoria & Albert's. So that is the first goal. I know somebody will tell me when is the first day I can book it, and I will make a note on my phone so I don't forget LOL.

Based on January rewards being $146.50, I'm thinking this should be cake. (Mmm...cake...)

I'm not saving up for this September, but next September 2017. Total cake, right?!

Then we have to figure out where to stay. I'd like it to be our first Deluxe (possibly on the special floor with the extra goodies) and probably our first DVC rental. DVC Upside - real cost is less. Downside - can't pay for it with Disney Chase dollars LOL. That is funny, but it is a real consideration.

There's the obvious choice - to stay in the Grand Floridian to be where Victoria & Albert's is.

I don't know if that would be my favorite place in general.

I think my favorite place might be the Polynesian - I like the food & the vibe - and the walking into MK. I think that's a must on this trip - have to be able to walk to somewhere. That would include all of the Boardwalk area properties, which are fine with me as well.

Or AK with the Savannah view.

Then there's the corny and sentimental way - 10 years ago, our honeymoon was to Key West. They have a Key West DVC hotel. We love Olivia's. Somehow it doesn't seem big deal enough or have something special like a footpath to MK lol.

At the very least, a monorail resort, even if not walking distance, would be preferred.

Then we have to figure out whether or not to bring the dog or leave her home, drive or fly, diet for 6 months for the pictures LOL. Maybe this one and only trip would be worth memory maker?

I want to really blow it out - something we will never forget. Go for the upgrades. Pick the right tour or tours. So much to discuss!!

I will end each post in this saga like the parodied "2 Broke Girls" TV show, with the dollar amount of whatever they have left or have made at the end of the show, so you can see where they are in their goal.

So for example, tonight's would be:

$146.50

I'll add in any WDW Gift Cards I might buy or receive in the next year as part of what's saved up for that trip. My free BJ's trial period just expired, so I won't be getting any discounted GC's from them.

Now - the potential issue: there is no way we are not going to go to Disney in some way until September of 2017. We are toying with skipping our usual January or April trip in order to go full-on crazy in September.

But we are also toying with things like my dilemma as I sit here in this hotel with all this time to type. We're less than an hour away. I told this story in more detail at the end of my last trip report thread, so I'll just make it very short: Brian is working in Tampa from the end of January until the middle of February (over three weeks.) Yesterday I packed up our pup and drove up to visit, with our Valentine's Day gifts in tow (mostly specialty sugar-free chocolate dipped pretzels potato chips, oreos, plus peppermint bark, etc. We know we won't see each other for Valentine's Day, so basically tomorrow is it, unless I stay until Saturday morning.

Since no WDW trip was planned, I did not bring either my Tables In Wonderland card, or my Chase rewards gift card. But I called, and confirmed I could go to Guest Services and get another gift card (which of course can be loaded automatically.) There's a nice lunch reservation open. There's a spot for the pup at Best Friends Pet Care for 1/2 day care.

On the one hand - this would be something like a 45 minute to 1 hour drive for Brian from 12:30 to 1:30 to go to a special Disney lunch at 1:50, hang out for a bit, and then drive back 45 minutes to an hour to go to work by 4PM until 4AM. (I would have my own car, spend more money buying Disney records for my record store after lunch, go pick up the dog, and drive home to Fort Lauderdale.)

The other option is to drop the pup off at Petco in Tampa for a shampoo, and then hurry to whatever local restaurant is near that Petco, and meh.

Who would ever forget picking up and driving to WDW just for lunch for Valentine's Day (early) There's a fun story to remember when we're in our 60's LOL.

But it would already deplete our current total towards our V&A goal:

$146.50

OK, that was the first post of this whole thing. Now here comes the table of contents. Separate trip reports will be listed in bold. Regular stuff won't.

Posts 1-11 planning.
Posts 12-18: "The Blip Report" - a spur of the moment, one day drive over to the Yacht Club for Valentine's Day lunch at Captain's Grille (with dog.)
Posts 19-70 planning.
Posts 71-199 (page 4) pre-trip (back pain) & TR for 3-day quickie in September 2016 for Food & Wine (no dog, meeting Tuvalu, car trouble LOL) (skip it if you're only in for the anniversary trip!)
Posts 200-210 stuff. (starts bottom of page 10)
Posts 211-258-ish (begins page 11) "micro-trip" - had to go back up to get our car, might as well visit the Mouse!
Posts 258-ish to 276 planning.
Posts 277-283 (page 14) Pre-trip for almost Christmas at Saratoga Springs
Posts 284-331 planning, chit-chat, Thanksgiving
Posts 332-380 (page 17) That almost Christmas trip at Saratoga Springs
Posts 381-392 (Page 20) mostly chit-chat
Posts 393-561 (starts on page 20) (Several short trips back and forth since Brian had sporadic work in Orlando - all with dog!) Including Flower & Garden, Tiffins, more Tiffins, Valentine's Day again, RoL, and to confuse things, somwhere around #522 I'm at WDW but also planning the September 2017 trip (it was the 180 day mark for ADR's!)
Posts 562-569 chit chat
Posts 570-605 (page 29) - omg another quickie trip, Paddlefish
Posts 606-614 chit chat
Posts 615-657 (page 31) omg another trip - Wishes at Cali Grill (our last time seeing it)
Posts 658-694 chit chat, Record Store Day, Nashville
Posts 695- serious September planning!!

Last edited:

bee

So we have a whole bunch of cameras worth of negatives that I've been putting off having developed because of the cost - wedding photos we've never seen that were taken by guests at each table - including a few family members who have since passed away. I'd like to get those all done as well as possible, make an album or two, and bring them up as a surprise.
I love this. An album would be an amazing surprise.

dizfan917

Jiko is always delicious! An outstanding dining experience from start to finish... we always drink a white wine from Cedar Burg when we visit - it's good if you like them on the sweet side (my bf does...). The flavors of the food are always amazing. Don't forget to grab a cocktail (or two) at Victoria Falls Lounge before dinner. AKL is such a gorgeous resort.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
When I tried to get those developed at CVS right after the wedding, they came out all grainy and crummy. We think the cameras may have been really old. A few years later, I took the negatives to a better photo place and had them redo a few (more expensive) and they came out much better (probably still not the usual photo quality but much better.)

One of my brothers was a photographer (he's retired now). He used to tell me that a lot of the quick photo places would not change their chemicals often enough, and that would result in some poor quality photos. It's not all that surprising that when you paid more at a better quality developer, the results were better.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
OK getting psyched - about two weeks 'til FP day (when I'll be back here crying about not getting anything for Pandora LOL. Oh, I know by now - just keep trying!)

Also - picked up the pictures yesterday and got nearly 300 useable ones!! Narrowed it down to about 200 of the better ones for the album.

IMG_1599.JPG

Even though the professional photographer did take a similar picture, I really like this one. We were probably more relaxed around our friends. Notice the giant champagne flutes on either side of the table for our toast LOL.

And since my big fat Italian family was there, here's the Tarantella:
IMG_1600.JPG

As you can see, that picture and more are on the dark side (Luke) but they still capture nice moments.

It's fun to see candid shots that were just taken by regular people, not a professional photographer. And some of my friends really have a sense of humor! ( I don't know if this will be removed LOL) but allow me to introduce you to my friends Michelle and Mary Ann!
IMG_1595.JPG

...cut to the moment we are at the Grand Floridian in September and I am showing this album to Brian for the first time and we come to that page LOL!

That was one of many pictures from the rehearsal dinner which was very casual and which I had forgotten about before starting this project. It's so cool to go back and see what you missed while you were busy hosting and marrying LOL.

And in case this post actually does get pulled, I'll continue the rest in a separate post!

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
The pictures are pretty well sorted and organized as of yesterday afternoon, so I just need to get an album and set them up.

There were also some priceless shots that no one has seen of family members who have passed away in the last 10 years. I really want to show them to people who would be comforted by them but I'm waiting until September – at least I'm trying. (sometimes I can't wait until Christmas to give presents, either.)

Very happy with that portion of the project! And it will tie into getting a personalized Disney picture frame – which I really have to get on soon!

Also still have to figure out where I'm getting my customized Disney T-shirts at a good price – very customized – and I think I'm going to order the overlays for our magic bands as well.

Another reason to be psyched: we just hit over $1725 in Disney Visa® Card from Chase points!

Remember in the beginning, the goal was to save up enough to pay for the one fancy dinner? Killed it!

I'm going to try to apply some of that to our hotel stays in advance.

And I'm looking for time to go back and put that table of contents at the beginning of this thread, for real! Hopefully my summer will afford me the chance to slow down a bit.

Although I have a joint event with the funky Buddha brewery on July 5, a Boston trip to see Corey Hart July 15, and we recently took a quick trip to Jersey for my friend Patrick's wedding. It was at the same place where Brian and I got married 10 years ago, and I was a groomsman. Pretty sure I mentioned that already, but here is a back to back picture – we re-created a picture from 10 years ago.

1E78DCDE-5ACD-4C75-A6B0-205503EB67FC.jpg

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
:cat:
My friend ~
FP Flight of Passage
DO NOT BOTHER with Na'vi River Journey (watch a YouTube ride through if you are curious)
Details to come in my next TR. ;)

You know I'm going to have to do it once, right?:geek:

But it is already lower priority. I have realistic expectations; it's not an e-ticket. :oops:

And if it's a 90 minute wait with no FP, we'll skip it for now. Looking forward to the TR!! :cat:

Tuvalu

Premium Member

But it is already lower priority. I have realistic expectations; it's not an e-ticket. :oops:

And if it's a 90 minute wait with no FP, we'll skip it for now. Looking forward to the TR!! :cat:
Oh I know you are the guy who has to try everything at least once. ;) :joyfull:
Just wanted to warn you that if you can only try for one FP, make it FoP. Don't rearrange your schedule for 2 AK days unless you are an AK or Avatar fan. If you wait more than 30 minutes for River Journey you'll be mad...unless you have several adult beverages in your system at the time, in which case you'll find the ride "trippy.":cool:

SSH

We FPd both Pandora attractions over the 2 days we visited AK in early June. I actually liked the film Avatar a lot. So there was more meaning in the ride elements for me - I definitely saw what they were going for and appreciated it.

But I also thought they missed the boat (no pun intended) by not setting up the story a bit more for many guests who won't have seen the movie. There were many dramatic elements in the film around the spiritual tree, the warriors, the struggle of the Na'vi people and much more they could have leveraged to give the ride more highs & lows...more energy...make it a more engaging/interactive experience. Not thrill ride crazy, but still memorable. I understand why they did it the way they did, but that's not going to matter to most people who may be expecting more and feel disappointed.

So I definitely liked it...but there is NO way I would wait 30 min or longer for this - and not more than 10 min in hotter months. Think Mexican boat ride or Small World (if a good part of the line started outside with no a/c) How long would you wait on a 95 degree day?

Tuvalu

Premium Member
We FPd both Pandora attractions over the 2 days we visited AK in early June. I actually liked the film Avatar a lot. So there was more meaning in the ride elements for me - I definitely saw what they were going for and appreciated it.

But I also thought they missed the boat (no pun intended) by not setting up the story a bit more for many guests who won't have seen the movie. There were many dramatic elements in the film around the spiritual tree, the warriors, the struggle of the Na'vi people and much more they could have leveraged to give the ride more highs & lows...more energy...make it a more engaging/interactive experience. Not thrill ride crazy, but still memorable. I understand why they did it the way they did, but that's not going to matter to most people who may be expecting more and feel disappointed.

So I definitely liked it...but there is NO way I would wait 30 min or longer for this - and not more than 10 min in hotter months. Think Mexican boat ride or Small World (if a good part of the line started outside with no a/c) How long would you wait on a 95 degree day?
Thank you for your eloquent input! :)

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Doing some shopping and even though it's 2 months away, I'm feeling rushed and reluctant to spend 3 days picking out a photo album, etc.

So after some hemming and hawing about what matched, what meant something, what could be personalized (ended up with none so far) I placed an order on the Disney Parks app with my 20% AP discount (which doesn't work on the Disneystore site) and at least got started.

This is the photo album
disney-photo-album.jpg

It holds 200 pictures, which is perfect. I think I'll leave the last 2 pages empty to put new ones we take on our trip.
I like it because it's Disney related, but not cartoony, nice castle medallion, etc. Any portrait-style pics will have to go on the same page and we'll have to turn the book to see them properly. There are also spaces to make notes next to each photo.

This:
onceupon.jpg

...is actually NOT a photo album. Looks like one, though, right? Yes, it's a little gaudy, but I like the "OUAT" idea and it may serve more than one purpose. I'll put a wedding pic in the cover for the trip up (to replace the castle.)

It does this:
onceuponopen.jpg

I'm going to fill it with all the greeting cards we received at our wedding. I haven't looked at them since. That could be a fun few minutes, re-reading all of those.

When we get home, I'll replace the cover pic with one from the anniversary trip, and I think I'll put a small 4 x 6 album inside the box with pics from the trip.

A runner-up that didn't make the cut as a picture frame for our anniversary trip photo:
wedding-frame.jpg

I like this for a few reasons: the castle matches the castle medallion on the photo album. It's specifically a wedding item that does NOT have Mickey and Minnie on it (which kinda doesn't fit us) and I like the phrase at the bottom edge "Love is Magical." Ultimately ruled it out because I think the castle itself is a little much and doesn't fit the rest of our decor, and the one that opens up into a box kind of won me over for that feature.

Our Christmas Ornament souvenir is obvious, but I'm going to wait to buy them on property. Two of these:
mickey-tux.jpg

Obviously it's a Mickey Groom tux (x 2) representing the original wedding, and we have to wear suits at V&A.

Probably will get another one at AKL since we like a resort-specific ornament.

Next are the magic band wraps and possibly 2 sets of t-shirts. Having a little trouble narrowing those down because I'm looking for something pretty specific. I've found rainbow Mickey shapes without any text. I've found anniversary text that's really plain. I've found places that customize but then they're like $50 each.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Doing some shopping and even though it's 2 months away, I'm feeling rushed and reluctant to spend 3 days picking out a photo album, etc.

So after some hemming and hawing about what matched, what meant something, what could be personalized (ended up with none so far) I placed an order on the Disney Parks app with my 20% AP discount (which doesn't work on the Disneystore site) and at least got started.

This is the photo album
View attachment 212725
It holds 200 pictures, which is perfect. I think I'll leave the last 2 pages empty to put new ones we take on our trip.
I like it because it's Disney related, but not cartoony, nice castle medallion, etc. Any portrait-style pics will have to go on the same page and we'll have to turn the book to see them properly. There are also spaces to make notes next to each photo.

This:
View attachment 212726
...is actually NOT a photo album. Looks like one, though, right? Yes, it's a little gaudy, but I like the "OUAT" idea and it may serve more than one purpose. I'll put a wedding pic in the cover for the trip up (to replace the castle.)

It does this:
View attachment 212727
I'm going to fill it with all the greeting cards we received at our wedding. I haven't looked at them since. That could be a fun few minutes, re-reading all of those.

When we get home, I'll replace the cover pic with one from the anniversary trip, and I think I'll put a small 4 x 6 album inside the box with pics from the trip.

A runner-up that didn't make the cut as a picture frame for our anniversary trip photo:
View attachment 212728
I like this for a few reasons: the castle matches the castle medallion on the photo album. It's specifically a wedding item that does NOT have Mickey and Minnie on it (which kinda doesn't fit us) and I like the phrase at the bottom edge "Love is Magical." Ultimately ruled it out because I think the castle itself is a little much and doesn't fit the rest of our decor, and the one that opens up into a box kind of won me over for that feature.

Our Christmas Ornament souvenir is obvious, but I'm going to wait to buy them on property. Two of these:
View attachment 212729
Obviously it's a Mickey Groom tux (x 2) representing the original wedding, and we have to wear suits at V&A.

Probably will get another one at AKL since we like a resort-specific ornament.

Next are the magic band wraps and possibly 2 sets of t-shirts. Having a little trouble narrowing those down because I'm looking for something pretty specific. I've found rainbow Mickey shapes without any text. I've found anniversary text that's really plain. I've found places that customize but then they're like $50 each.

Wonderful!! Great choices, and very thoughtful gifts.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Well, the good news is, I booked all 3 key fast passes - FOP, Na'vi, and Frozen. (We've already done Frozen a few times, but it's a good "get.")

The slightly less good part is I could only get FOP for the last day, the 8th, at 4:30PM (with our V&A dinner at 6:30PM.) That could be a little rushy-rushy (or worse.)

The idea was to do AK to death on Tues & Wed while staying at AKL and then Epcot Thurs & MK Friday. Half day HS can be worked into either Tues or Wed.

Had no intention of going back to AK again on Friday, that was MK day.

But I'm going to do the interpark bus thing, so maybe that's not bad.

Either way, I have a few ideas: #1. Keep trying to get FOP FP for Wednesday, #2. Go at rope drop on Tuesday and go directly to FOP and wait it out (going to start checking the daily wait times from 9AM to 10AM to get an idea.) If we can get FOP out of the way early, I'll cancel that FP on Friday to make Friday easier.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom