Pre-Trip 2 Broke Guys (now with Table of Contents!)

Important note: First post edited 7/13/17 to make this odyssey easier to follow!

The reason is I started this pre-trip report over a year ago to help plan our most important trip ever (so far) our 10 year wedding anniversary trip.

However, we have AP's, and we took many short "side-trips" along the way. Rather than creating so many Trip Report threads and looking like a total egomaniac, I just added those mini-TR's into this same thread.

People have said it was hard to follow (I can see that.) Someone suggested putting a "table of contents" in the beginning. So that's what I'm doing. Then you can skip to the pages with the other trip reports, or just read the ones pertaining to "the big one" coming up in early September, 2017.

I will post that trip report separately when it finally happens, but will of course link to it here.

Speaking of linking here, here's a little background. This old post details our vow renewals a few years ago, for a very specific reason. If you haven't read my other trip reports or interacted with me very much on the boards, it kind of sets the stage for what's to come. Here's that link:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...orporate-disney-into-your-vow-renewal.903761/

What follows is the original first post (from 2/11/16) of this long, long thread. At the end of it, I'll put the table of contents to guide you through the rest of the thread.

I am sitting here in a hotel in Tampa, just an hour away from "home." And I'm thinking about it LOL. Oh, am I thinking about it.

When I'm "home home" - in Fort Lauderdale, I never have time to do more than some quick posts because I am always busy with work.

This is going to be a long-@ss pre-trip report.

Not necessarily this first post, but the report as a whole - by necessity, since the trip isn't until early September 2017. And I know I can use some help and advice in putting this all together - it's a very special trip - and have already begun organizing my thoughts based on discussions on this forum.

The basic premise is this: We are going to spend our 10-year wedding anniversary celebration at WDW, with the centerpiece of that trip to be the biggest dinner we can afford at Victoria & Albert's (hopefully the chef's table.) One of the things we enjoy most about Disney in our forties are the amazing meals at places like the Flying Fish Cafe and the Yachtsman's Steakhouse. I expect this meal will be at least as mind-blowing, but probably more.

The catch is - it costs a freaking fortune (at least to us.) I'm estimating something like $600 to $800 when all is said and done(?) And there is no way I could justify spending that much money on one meal.

Except...we have the Disney Chase Visa card, and have come to rely on this for our last several trips. This has opened doors to new experiences that we couldn't afford before. Instead of getting a 4-day ticket, we started getting AP's. Instead of staying off property, we started staying at Disney Moderates. And loved it!

And - we have a year off (sort of) to save up for this magical trip and important celebration. For the last several years, we've been getting the Florida Resident Weekday Select Annual Pass every other year, never two years in a row. I think it's good to go away and miss it for awhile, especially with all the work being done. Stay away for a year and come back to lots of little surprises. (Like those metal detectors! Ha!) They're fine. Anyway, that's the responsible side of me to say we shouldn't spend that much money every year. (We really shouldn't.)

But the advantage of that in this case is to amass Disney Chase Visa card points for months on end (sort of.) We used up all the rest of our points on our last short trip in January of 2016. But then at the end of the month, we earned more money. It's just sitting there...LOL.

Well, I made a deal with myself - if I can save up that $700 or $800 just in Chase points, then I can justify booking that meal at Victoria & Albert's. So that is the first goal. I know somebody will tell me when is the first day I can book it, and I will make a note on my phone so I don't forget LOL.

Based on January rewards being $146.50, I'm thinking this should be cake. (Mmm...cake...)

I'm not saving up for this September, but next September 2017. Total cake, right?!

Then we have to figure out where to stay. I'd like it to be our first Deluxe (possibly on the special floor with the extra goodies) and probably our first DVC rental. DVC Upside - real cost is less. Downside - can't pay for it with Disney Chase dollars LOL. That is funny, but it is a real consideration.

There's the obvious choice - to stay in the Grand Floridian to be where Victoria & Albert's is.

I don't know if that would be my favorite place in general.

I think my favorite place might be the Polynesian - I like the food & the vibe - and the walking into MK. I think that's a must on this trip - have to be able to walk to somewhere. That would include all of the Boardwalk area properties, which are fine with me as well.

Or AK with the Savannah view.

Then there's the corny and sentimental way - 10 years ago, our honeymoon was to Key West. They have a Key West DVC hotel. We love Olivia's. Somehow it doesn't seem big deal enough or have something special like a footpath to MK lol.

At the very least, a monorail resort, even if not walking distance, would be preferred.

Then we have to figure out whether or not to bring the dog or leave her home, drive or fly, diet for 6 months for the pictures LOL. Maybe this one and only trip would be worth memory maker?

I want to really blow it out - something we will never forget. Go for the upgrades. Pick the right tour or tours. So much to discuss!!

I will end each post in this saga like the parodied "2 Broke Girls" TV show, with the dollar amount of whatever they have left or have made at the end of the show, so you can see where they are in their goal.

So for example, tonight's would be:

$146.50

I'll add in any WDW Gift Cards I might buy or receive in the next year as part of what's saved up for that trip. My free BJ's trial period just expired, so I won't be getting any discounted GC's from them.

Now - the potential issue: there is no way we are not going to go to Disney in some way until September of 2017. We are toying with skipping our usual January or April trip in order to go full-on crazy in September.

But we are also toying with things like my dilemma as I sit here in this hotel with all this time to type. We're less than an hour away. I told this story in more detail at the end of my last trip report thread, so I'll just make it very short: Brian is working in Tampa from the end of January until the middle of February (over three weeks.) Yesterday I packed up our pup and drove up to visit, with our Valentine's Day gifts in tow (mostly specialty sugar-free chocolate dipped pretzels potato chips, oreos, plus peppermint bark, etc. We know we won't see each other for Valentine's Day, so basically tomorrow is it, unless I stay until Saturday morning.

Since no WDW trip was planned, I did not bring either my Tables In Wonderland card, or my Chase rewards gift card. But I called, and confirmed I could go to Guest Services and get another gift card (which of course can be loaded automatically.) There's a nice lunch reservation open. There's a spot for the pup at Best Friends Pet Care for 1/2 day care.

On the one hand - this would be something like a 45 minute to 1 hour drive for Brian from 12:30 to 1:30 to go to a special Disney lunch at 1:50, hang out for a bit, and then drive back 45 minutes to an hour to go to work by 4PM until 4AM. (I would have my own car, spend more money buying Disney records for my record store after lunch, go pick up the dog, and drive home to Fort Lauderdale.)

The other option is to drop the pup off at Petco in Tampa for a shampoo, and then hurry to whatever local restaurant is near that Petco, and meh.

Who would ever forget picking up and driving to WDW just for lunch for Valentine's Day (early) There's a fun story to remember when we're in our 60's LOL.

But it would already deplete our current total towards our V&A goal:

$146.50

OK, that was the first post of this whole thing. Now here comes the table of contents. Separate trip reports will be listed in bold. Regular stuff won't.

Posts 1-11 planning.
Posts 12-18: "The Blip Report" - a spur of the moment, one day drive over to the Yacht Club for Valentine's Day lunch at Captain's Grille (with dog.)
Posts 19-70 planning.
Posts 71-199 (page 4) pre-trip (back pain) & TR for 3-day quickie in September 2016 for Food & Wine (no dog, meeting Tuvalu, car trouble LOL) (skip it if you're only in for the anniversary trip!)
Posts 200-210 stuff. (starts bottom of page 10)
Posts 211-258-ish (begins page 11) "micro-trip" - had to go back up to get our car, might as well visit the Mouse!
Posts 258-ish to 276 planning.
Posts 277-283 (page 14) Pre-trip for almost Christmas at Saratoga Springs
Posts 284-331 planning, chit-chat, Thanksgiving
Posts 332-380 (page 17) That almost Christmas trip at Saratoga Springs
Posts 381-392 (Page 20) mostly chit-chat
Posts 393-561 (starts on page 20) (Several short trips back and forth since Brian had sporadic work in Orlando - all with dog!) Including Flower & Garden, Tiffins, more Tiffins, Valentine's Day again, RoL, and to confuse things, somwhere around #522 I'm at WDW but also planning the September 2017 trip (it was the 180 day mark for ADR's!)
Posts 562-569 chit chat
Posts 570-605 (page 29) - omg another quickie trip, Paddlefish
Posts 606-614 chit chat
Posts 615-657 (page 31) omg another trip - Wishes at Cali Grill (our last time seeing it)
Posts 658-694 chit chat, Record Store Day, Nashville
Posts 695- serious September planning!!

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
IMG_0602.jpg

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
That ADR was not without drama!

The calendar kept giving me only until 9/6, not 9/8!!!

9/8 is our actual big day and I wanted something nice (tea) since V&A will be (hopefully) 9/7 (will confirm shortly after 9am.)

So I checked and of course my GF res was not linked to my profile!!

The CBR res I made while driving up Wednesday over the phone for the day before (extending our September trip - yay! with our fave moderate resort) was showing up, and that was giving us til the 6th.

Anyhoo, got it fixed, only available time showing was 2:05. While booking, "sorry for the paws" popped up and it was gone! Tried again and got 2:10. LOL. All good. Live music apparently starts at 3 so we'll have quiet first.

Kylie is so cute! Love the photos, they never disappoint me!

I am intrigued about your ride (front center) in TOT. You mentioned "no bar in front, first time"??:confused: I thought all the seats now (for a few years, at least), had seatbelts. I used to love the lap bar years ago, because you could get "air". Anyway, just trying to decipher the "no bar" comment.

Had a seatbelt. But everyone else in my row had a bar to hold onto in front of them. No bar for this seat! You could hold onto the front of the vehicle itself - which I reached for in the dark more than once but never caught lol - but you'd have to lean forward to grab it. It was really fun - forced a "no hands" situation that I don't usually even do on Soarin' LOL.

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
I honestly can't think of any other reservations to make. I think we still want some of our typical "wing it" element, especially since we know friends will be in the parks I think from the fifth to the sixth or seventh. I have to read back on my own trip report to check that LOL.

We are usually very good with last minute dining. But the tea was important and V&A is even more so.

I should try to pick something nice for the night of the eighth but again, our favorites are not hard to get. Plus I never heard back to find out if I can cancel the butler dinner. I should call her today. She may call me back in a few days LOL.

Never went back to sleep.:( If I was at Disney I would be happy. Here with snow on the way..., maybe here already?:mad: Hope you have some great pics of ROL. That will cheer me up!:)

Not sleeping is a regular battle for me - I get it and I feel ya!

My one and only perfect kitty "baby" would pee on my suitcase whenever I took it out to pack. I had to buy one of the hard plastic-y ones and keep it closed on the bed. She'll be gone 10 years just a few weeks after this special anniversary - mind blown. I still use that luggage lol.

Sneak preview (the dull pic.)
IMG_0585.JPG

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Back to last night's RoL...

I took no chances even though I had a good idea where it was - I got a map, and asked every cast member we passed if we were going the right way ( literally at least six of them LOL.)

We got to it around 7 - full stadium - and were looking around for seats, with low expectations. A CM appeared out of nowhere and asked,"Just two?" I nodded, and she led us down, down, down to the third row. Perfect!

And the pic dump for @MySmallWorldof4
IMG_0586.JPG
IMG_0587.JPG
IMG_0588.JPG
IMG_0589.JPG
IMG_0590.JPG

Some are better than others. I wanted to just take in the show but occasionally grabbed the phone for a quick snap.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
This will be hard to make out - tried to capture them several times - I hate when something looks awesome to the naked eye and then tiny with the camera.
IMG_0595.JPG

An awesome moment was near the finale when two real ducks flew right through the water screens towards us and then landed in the water right in front of us. The crowd reacted. It was special.

And this is my favorite picture of the night. It was actually taken after the show was over. He was right in front of us.

IMG_0598.JPG

MySmallWorldof4

This will be hard to make out - tried to capture them several times - I hate when something looks awesome to the naked eye and then tiny with the camera.View attachment 193247
An awesome moment was near the finale when two real ducks flew right through the water screens towards us and then landed in the water right in front of us. The crowd reacted. It was special.

And this is my favorite picture of the night. It was actually taken after the show was over. He was right in front of us.

View attachment 193248
Thank you!:)

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
So my review of the show – naturally, I don't know what everybody's crying about. If I had to pick out a technical flaw, my guess is the projections on the water were not coming out quite right. I think that had more to do with where you were sitting because when they were projecting on a Lotus near you, it was very clear and sharp.

Everybody was into the preshow – little things happening in the trees before the show started that were cool and made waiting fun, just like a good queue would do.

I don't want to give too much away. I'm glad I didn't watch a video first or see too many pictures.

Another complaint I heard was that there was no finale, it just stopped. I don't understand that, either. Clearly worked up to a finale where all the little things you had seen separately before were happening at the same time and music was building, etc. everyone knew it was over and everyone clapped, and continued clapping for some time, longer than usual.

Brian, who had read nothing and didn't know what to expect, was thoroughly impressed.

Please go see this. And if they plus it at some point to original plans, great. If not, it's lovely as is, fits the park perfectly, and puts you in a good mood.

I'd like to go back and sit on the other end for a different viewpoint.

MySmallWorldof4

So my review of the show – naturally, I don't know what everybody's crying about. If I had to pick out a technical flaw, my guess is the projections on the water were not coming out quite right. I think that had more to do with where you were sitting because when they were projecting on a Lotus near you, it was very clear and sharp.

Everybody was into the preshow – little things happening in the trees before the show started that were cool and made waiting fun, just like a good queue would do.

I don't want to give too much away. I'm glad I didn't watch a video first or see too many pictures.

Another complaint I heard was that there was no finale, it just stopped. I don't understand that, either. Clearly worked up to a finale where all the little things you had seen separately before were happening at the same time and music was building, etc. everyone knew it was over and everyone clapped, and continued clapping for some time, longer than usual.

Brian, who had read nothing and didn't know what to expect, was thoroughly impressed.

Please go see this. And if they plus it at some point to original plans, great. If not, it's lovely as is, fits the park perfectly, and puts you in a good mood.

Great advice! I haven't seen a video of it and just a few pics like yours. I cannot wait to see it and make my own opinion. I did watch the videos of Pandora yesterday, just for a glimpse. ;)Had the volume off though. Not a Whoopie fan. I just wanted to see the sites and not here the talk.:D

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
I am a Whoopi fan. I was hoping to catch the show yesterday even without View tickets, just find a spot nearby so I could yell, "Whoopeeeeeee!" (I've wanted to do this before at the candlelight processional - I always just miss her by a day!) But they pre-taped the Thursday and Friday shows and got out of there on Wednesday.

Still keeping my eyes peeled just in case!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Thanks for the ROL picture post from the Asia side. We saw the Jungle Book thing from that side last summer and the projections were just ok. Saw ROL from Dinoland side and thought the projections were perfect...not sure if ROL is geared to that side (dining package) but will find out for myself in May when I use my ROL FP one evening (with Woody) and another dining package (with Mom) several days later.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Thanks for the ROL picture post from the Asia side. We saw the Jungle Book thing from that side last summer and the projections were just ok. Saw ROL from Dinoland side and thought the projections were perfect...not sure if ROL is geared to that side (dining package) but will find out for myself in May when I use my ROL FP one evening (with Woody) and another dining package (with Mom) several days later.

I'll do the same and let's compare notes! LOL.

Btw, looks like Bri is coming back up towards the end of this month for another couple of weeks - so there may be a chance for a ToTu reunion. :facepalm::cool:

MySmallWorldof4

I am a Whoopi fan. I was hoping to catch the show yesterday even without View tickets, just find a spot nearby so I could yell, "Whoopeeeeeee!" (I've wanted to do this before at the candlelight processional - I always just miss her by a day!) But they pre-taped the Thursday and Friday shows and got out of there on Wednesday.

Still keeping my eyes peeled just in case!
Ha! You can tell I am not a Whoopi fan as I originally spelled it like the whoopie in whoopie pie. :p

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Well folks, I've pretty much failed at my main mission. :cry: Not really, but...

If you recall, I did a "practice call" to V&A last week and found out our date of 9/8 was booked for the chef's table (and actually the whole restaurant.) But they specifically told me the 6th, 7th, and 9th were all available, so I talked myself into the 7th.

This morning, I called at 8:59AM, it went to voicemail. 9:00AM, went to voicemail. (Voicemail gives you the option to press 1 to speak with someone about your reservation for tonight, so I didn't want to do that just to get through to someone because that's not why I was calling.) 9:01AM they answered.

Long story short: the 7th was taken also (obviously within the last few days.)

So was the 6th.

And the 9th.

Brian is sitting there, listening, dressed and ready to leave for work but waiting to see what happens.

The CM was so nice and said this kind of thing hardly ever happens. :confused: He said other people must have just had an earlier first night than we did (to meet the 180 day requirement.)

I didn't think to ask for the 5th (separate reservation for CBR. Somehow I don't think that's the best fit, tho. First night, just driving up...)

Silver lining-ish - he said the Victoria room and the main dining room were available for the 8th, so we could be back to the original idea of V&A's on our actual anniversary. OK!

The Victoria room is the one with 4 tables. OK!

The only times available are 5:30 and 6:30 :hilarious:

That would be fine if I didn't just wake up at 6AM to book afternoon tea at 2PM (which I hear is very filling.) OK, I'm sure I can cancel that and hopefully reschedule. Book the Victoria room for 6:30! (btw they have a 72 hr cancel policy with a $75 fee, FYI.)

Side note: I guess that means the whole place is not booked for the 8th, after all. (Unless I'm going to show up that day and hear, "there's been a mistake, but we can order a pizza for you and have it delivered to your room!")

However, I am on a wait list for the 6th, 7th, 8th in case someone else cancels. Not holding my breath, but you never know.

I already nixed the afternoon tea and easily rebooked it for the 7th at 12:40PM (which I think I like better than 2PM anyway. 2PM was available, I chose the earlier time.)

Now I'm even less inclined to make other ADR's in case we get the call that a chef's table is available.

I know, People With Disney Chase Visa Points Problems! LOL. We are still going with the 10-course option and wine pairing. I know it will be outstanding. I just wanted "the #1 thing" for Brian. Funny, he wanted it to work out for me just as badly, and gave me a big hug before heading to work.:inlove:

PacNWTigger

I'm glad everything seems to be working out for your special dinner. I agree that the puzzle is half the fun of booking stuff like this. :D Thank you for sharing the ROL pics. I am planning a trip in October (not sure if I'll be flying solo or taking my guy since he is dragging his feet on putting in vacation time) and I'm definitely going to be catching that show while I am there.
BTW your Kylie is super cute. Is she part German Shepherd?

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
I'm glad everything seems to be working out for your special dinner. I agree that the puzzle is half the fun of booking stuff like this. :D Thank you for sharing the ROL pics. I am planning a trip in October (not sure if I'll be flying solo or taking my guy since he is dragging his feet on putting in vacation time) and I'm definitely going to be catching that show while I am there.
BTW your Kylie is super cute. Is she part German Shepherd?

Thank you! She is a rescue, so we are not 100% sure, but we are pretty sure she is a German Shepherd/Chow Chow mix.

Love that mutt.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Since I'm still in the room with the pup after noon, and Brian is trying to get out of work around two, I might as well continue with the TR from last night!

Back home the store was busy, so that always makes spending a day at WDW feel a little less irresponsible!

After RoL, we had a 7:50 ADR at one of my new faves, Tiffins. If you've been keeping up, you'll know I went with my friend D for the first time a few weeks ago, and I liked it enough that I wanted to bring Brian asap. What a perfect pairing with our first time at RoL!

I can't say enough about this restaurant - it's as enticing to me as the Flying Fish once was. I want to try everything on the menu eventually. It all sounds good - different, unusual, scrumptious. The theming is an impressive bonus. I love that it's not a typical theme, but a peek behind the curtain. The thoughts and experiences of those who designed AK during their process.

Sadly, with all our talking about RoL and excitement about dinner, we were halfway through before I realized I hadn't taken any pictures. I'll have to pull from the posted menu, or I will never remember the names of half the ingredients.

Like last time, this was a late reservation, which I suspect means it's no coincidence we ended up in the same room - the Safari room. (Fine by me!) Our server was excellent - friendly, passionate about the venue, helpful with the recommendations.

I had to get the soup again, which last time I split with D. This time I got a whole bowl, but made sure Brian got a few spoons of it.

Lobster-Popcorn Thai Curry Soup
Lime-Basil Emulsion, Popped Sorghum

love, love, love it.

Our other appetizer was
Sustainable Fish Causa
Peruvian Purple Potato, Aji Amarillo Vinaigrette, Lime Mayonnaise, Cilantro, Quail Egg

Our server explained that this is a "meh" dish when traditionally prepared, but explained how the chef punched it up for the menu. The fish was sashimi style, the potato was a puree, all these wonderful little flavors, the cilantro was in pureed dots also, nice sized portion for two people. Very good.

Brian ordered the
Berkshire Pork Tenderloin
Masa Tamale, Hominy Succotash, Red Mole Sauce

so the pork was two ways including shredded inside the tamale. Mexican-esque, elevated. I tasted of course, it was delicious.

We split a side of
Brussels Sprouts
Neuske's Applewood-smoked Bacon, crispy Shiitake, Concord Grape-Minus 8 Vinegar

these were good, but a little salty if you picked from the top.

And after loving the duck last time, this time I went with
Duo of Lamb
Ethiopian Coffee Butter-infused Lamb Loin, Boerewors, Soubise, Chakalaka, Tamarind Barbecue, Leek Ash

The waiter said this was the most complex dish on the menu, with a lot of little components and possible flavor combinations.

I just liked that "Chakalaka" was in the description, and started singing "Whoomp! There it is!" at the table. (You know, when it goes, "Chakalaka, chakalaka, chakalaka Whoomp!") Yes. I did. Quietly, just to Brian. :oops:

This was, hands down, the best lamb I ever had. I've ordered it many places in many ways. It's often gristly, fatty, cooked like a stew (Irish or Indian) and more work than it's worth (since I don't like fatty meat, and have to pull it apart.)

The loin was served pretty rare, seared, and beautifully flavored. There was a teeny layer of fat near the outer edge, similar to what you'd find on sliced duck breast. This was not sliced, it was three nice big chunks of lamb loin. I didn't taste "coffee," but again it was beautifully flavored.

The Boerewors is a sausage made from lamb. (Learn something new every day!) It was very good, a nice variation from the loin.

Chakalaka is a small-diced relish which had tomatoes, onions, and something else, there was a sweetness to it, very nice.

There were three roasted grape-tomatoes.

There was a stupendous onion-puree type stuff - one of those words up there must mean that.

And there was a conversation-piece aspect of it in that the entire left third of the plate was blackened with "leek ash." You're meant to dip things into it. I don't know, I got a lot more "ash" than "leek" from it, but it was still an interesting element on the plate. I liked it best with the roasted grape-tomatoes.

The wine pairing was perfect (also called Chakalaka!) And the lamb really lends itself to that dining experience where you get the first taste and then add in a sip of wine for the rest of the chew. I haven't had that experience since Flying Fish and have tried it several times.

It also must have been pretty strong, because I felt it, and our little drink of Crown was at 5:30PM at the room, so that was long gone by the time we got out of Tiffins around 9PM. It was all from the wine.

Oh, Brian had nice wine, too, whatever LOL. o_O Actually I liked his better if I was just drinking a glass of wine. I liked mine with my meal, profusely.

Alas, they do not have any sugar-free or no sugar added desserts, so that was that. 20% AP discount, some points from Chase Visa, and a little credit card magic, voila! A superior meal. Can't wait to go back there again. This is not a burger barn.

Once again, I highly recommend Tiffins for a more unique dining experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom