Pre-Trip 2 Broke Guys (now with Table of Contents!)

Important note: First post edited 7/13/17 to make this odyssey easier to follow!

The reason is I started this pre-trip report over a year ago to help plan our most important trip ever (so far) our 10 year wedding anniversary trip.

However, we have AP's, and we took many short "side-trips" along the way. Rather than creating so many Trip Report threads and looking like a total egomaniac, I just added those mini-TR's into this same thread.

People have said it was hard to follow (I can see that.) Someone suggested putting a "table of contents" in the beginning. So that's what I'm doing. Then you can skip to the pages with the other trip reports, or just read the ones pertaining to "the big one" coming up in early September, 2017.

I will post that trip report separately when it finally happens, but will of course link to it here.

Speaking of linking here, here's a little background. This old post details our vow renewals a few years ago, for a very specific reason. If you haven't read my other trip reports or interacted with me very much on the boards, it kind of sets the stage for what's to come. Here's that link:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...orporate-disney-into-your-vow-renewal.903761/

What follows is the original first post (from 2/11/16) of this long, long thread. At the end of it, I'll put the table of contents to guide you through the rest of the thread.

I am sitting here in a hotel in Tampa, just an hour away from "home." And I'm thinking about it LOL. Oh, am I thinking about it.

When I'm "home home" - in Fort Lauderdale, I never have time to do more than some quick posts because I am always busy with work.

This is going to be a long-@ss pre-trip report.

Not necessarily this first post, but the report as a whole - by necessity, since the trip isn't until early September 2017. And I know I can use some help and advice in putting this all together - it's a very special trip - and have already begun organizing my thoughts based on discussions on this forum.

The basic premise is this: We are going to spend our 10-year wedding anniversary celebration at WDW, with the centerpiece of that trip to be the biggest dinner we can afford at Victoria & Albert's (hopefully the chef's table.) One of the things we enjoy most about Disney in our forties are the amazing meals at places like the Flying Fish Cafe and the Yachtsman's Steakhouse. I expect this meal will be at least as mind-blowing, but probably more.

The catch is - it costs a freaking fortune (at least to us.) I'm estimating something like $600 to $800 when all is said and done(?) And there is no way I could justify spending that much money on one meal.

Except...we have the Disney Chase Visa card, and have come to rely on this for our last several trips. This has opened doors to new experiences that we couldn't afford before. Instead of getting a 4-day ticket, we started getting AP's. Instead of staying off property, we started staying at Disney Moderates. And loved it!

And - we have a year off (sort of) to save up for this magical trip and important celebration. For the last several years, we've been getting the Florida Resident Weekday Select Annual Pass every other year, never two years in a row. I think it's good to go away and miss it for awhile, especially with all the work being done. Stay away for a year and come back to lots of little surprises. (Like those metal detectors! Ha!) They're fine. Anyway, that's the responsible side of me to say we shouldn't spend that much money every year. (We really shouldn't.)

But the advantage of that in this case is to amass Disney Chase Visa card points for months on end (sort of.) We used up all the rest of our points on our last short trip in January of 2016. But then at the end of the month, we earned more money. It's just sitting there...LOL.

Well, I made a deal with myself - if I can save up that $700 or $800 just in Chase points, then I can justify booking that meal at Victoria & Albert's. So that is the first goal. I know somebody will tell me when is the first day I can book it, and I will make a note on my phone so I don't forget LOL.

Based on January rewards being $146.50, I'm thinking this should be cake. (Mmm...cake...)

I'm not saving up for this September, but next September 2017. Total cake, right?!

Then we have to figure out where to stay. I'd like it to be our first Deluxe (possibly on the special floor with the extra goodies) and probably our first DVC rental. DVC Upside - real cost is less. Downside - can't pay for it with Disney Chase dollars LOL. That is funny, but it is a real consideration.

There's the obvious choice - to stay in the Grand Floridian to be where Victoria & Albert's is.

I don't know if that would be my favorite place in general.

I think my favorite place might be the Polynesian - I like the food & the vibe - and the walking into MK. I think that's a must on this trip - have to be able to walk to somewhere. That would include all of the Boardwalk area properties, which are fine with me as well.

Or AK with the Savannah view.

Then there's the corny and sentimental way - 10 years ago, our honeymoon was to Key West. They have a Key West DVC hotel. We love Olivia's. Somehow it doesn't seem big deal enough or have something special like a footpath to MK lol.

At the very least, a monorail resort, even if not walking distance, would be preferred.

Then we have to figure out whether or not to bring the dog or leave her home, drive or fly, diet for 6 months for the pictures LOL. Maybe this one and only trip would be worth memory maker?

I want to really blow it out - something we will never forget. Go for the upgrades. Pick the right tour or tours. So much to discuss!!

I will end each post in this saga like the parodied "2 Broke Girls" TV show, with the dollar amount of whatever they have left or have made at the end of the show, so you can see where they are in their goal.

So for example, tonight's would be:

$146.50

I'll add in any WDW Gift Cards I might buy or receive in the next year as part of what's saved up for that trip. My free BJ's trial period just expired, so I won't be getting any discounted GC's from them.

Now - the potential issue: there is no way we are not going to go to Disney in some way until September of 2017. We are toying with skipping our usual January or April trip in order to go full-on crazy in September.

But we are also toying with things like my dilemma as I sit here in this hotel with all this time to type. We're less than an hour away. I told this story in more detail at the end of my last trip report thread, so I'll just make it very short: Brian is working in Tampa from the end of January until the middle of February (over three weeks.) Yesterday I packed up our pup and drove up to visit, with our Valentine's Day gifts in tow (mostly specialty sugar-free chocolate dipped pretzels potato chips, oreos, plus peppermint bark, etc. We know we won't see each other for Valentine's Day, so basically tomorrow is it, unless I stay until Saturday morning.

Since no WDW trip was planned, I did not bring either my Tables In Wonderland card, or my Chase rewards gift card. But I called, and confirmed I could go to Guest Services and get another gift card (which of course can be loaded automatically.) There's a nice lunch reservation open. There's a spot for the pup at Best Friends Pet Care for 1/2 day care.

On the one hand - this would be something like a 45 minute to 1 hour drive for Brian from 12:30 to 1:30 to go to a special Disney lunch at 1:50, hang out for a bit, and then drive back 45 minutes to an hour to go to work by 4PM until 4AM. (I would have my own car, spend more money buying Disney records for my record store after lunch, go pick up the dog, and drive home to Fort Lauderdale.)

The other option is to drop the pup off at Petco in Tampa for a shampoo, and then hurry to whatever local restaurant is near that Petco, and meh.

Who would ever forget picking up and driving to WDW just for lunch for Valentine's Day (early) There's a fun story to remember when we're in our 60's LOL.

But it would already deplete our current total towards our V&A goal:

$146.50

OK, that was the first post of this whole thing. Now here comes the table of contents. Separate trip reports will be listed in bold. Regular stuff won't.

Posts 1-11 planning.
Posts 12-18: "The Blip Report" - a spur of the moment, one day drive over to the Yacht Club for Valentine's Day lunch at Captain's Grille (with dog.)
Posts 19-70 planning.
Posts 71-199 (page 4) pre-trip (back pain) & TR for 3-day quickie in September 2016 for Food & Wine (no dog, meeting Tuvalu, car trouble LOL) (skip it if you're only in for the anniversary trip!)
Posts 200-210 stuff. (starts bottom of page 10)
Posts 211-258-ish (begins page 11) "micro-trip" - had to go back up to get our car, might as well visit the Mouse!
Posts 258-ish to 276 planning.
Posts 277-283 (page 14) Pre-trip for almost Christmas at Saratoga Springs
Posts 284-331 planning, chit-chat, Thanksgiving
Posts 332-380 (page 17) That almost Christmas trip at Saratoga Springs
Posts 381-392 (Page 20) mostly chit-chat
Posts 393-561 (starts on page 20) (Several short trips back and forth since Brian had sporadic work in Orlando - all with dog!) Including Flower & Garden, Tiffins, more Tiffins, Valentine's Day again, RoL, and to confuse things, somwhere around #522 I'm at WDW but also planning the September 2017 trip (it was the 180 day mark for ADR's!)
Posts 562-569 chit chat
Posts 570-605 (page 29) - omg another quickie trip, Paddlefish
Posts 606-614 chit chat
Posts 615-657 (page 31) omg another trip - Wishes at Cali Grill (our last time seeing it)
Posts 658-694 chit chat, Record Store Day, Nashville
Posts 695- serious September planning!!

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
IMG_0395.JPG
IMG_0397.JPG
Random shots I forgot to post earlier.

So the wooden frames on Main Street are $45 each and I don't think I like them as much. I like the more subtle "hidden Mickey" style vs. explicit characters all over it.

Do:
IMG_0407.JPG

IMG_0409.JPG

Vs. do not:
IMG_0411.JPG

IMG_0412.JPG

Thus ended MK for the day, and I monorailed back to Epcot. (Btw the only way from TTC to MK today was the Monorail - no ferry! Now that's a switch.)

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
And...Epcot. By now, I was hungry. I really wanted a bar to sit and eat rather than a table, but couldn't think of one. Almost walked to HS for my Tune-In Lounge, but felt like I wasted enough time hopping today. On the monorail, I booked Soarin within 10 minutes, which I thought was impressive until I checked the wait times and Soarin was - 10 minutes lol.

First stopped on SSE with no wait.

Then headed over to Soarin, got 2-B, and it was awesome - no distortion, even on the Eiffel Tower. What a completely different experience from last time when we sat off to one side. So glad I did that.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
And...Epcot. By now, I was hungry. I really wanted a bar to sit and eat rather than a table, but couldn't think of one. Almost walked to HS for my Tune-In Lounge, but felt like I wasted enough time hopping today. On the monorail, I booked Soarin within 10 minutes, which I thought was impressive until I checked the wait times and Soarin was - 10 minutes lol.

First stopped on SSE with no wait.

Then headed over to Soarin, got 2-B, and it was awesome - no distortion, even on the Eiffel Tower. What a completely different experience from last time when we sat off to one side. So glad I did that.

Yah, I love the Tune-In, too. It's great that you can order a full meal at the bar, not just appetizers.

Interesting about Soarin--I didn't realize there were better places to sit than others. Glad you had a really good spot to enhance the experience.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Speaking of the Eiffel Tower, now I'm really hungry, and headed towards France. I wanted one of those Martinis I had gotten last time with D. I was hoping they had just a bar area, but they didn't, and I didn't have a good enough impression of the restaurant to sit down. So I went to the place in the back of France again.

Ta-da!

IMG_0418.JPG

Delish! This was a chicken sandwich - I was almost bummed between ordering it and checking out, thinking it would be a little boring - no way! I don't know if I was just starving, but I loved it and enjoyed every bite. It was on some kind of focaccia bread (advantage number one) with tomatoes and onions (about my two favorite ingredients ever) plus they toasted it. The chicken was sliced thin - not like cold cuts, obviously a fresh chicken breast, but not a whole big fat breast like you usually get. Much better balance than that. And I usually don't eat cheese, but there was a very light tasting cheese on there that was fine. I didn't notice any kind of dressing and it didn't need any. Two thumbs up.

The dessert was a chocolate tart - very nice, indulgent - not as good as the napoleon, but a nice splurge.

The wine was a Pinot noir - at over $7, a bit much for one of those little plastic cups, but enjoyable.

Total cost of yummy, filling dinner: $22. Total spent for the day: $25 including my waffle fries, plus gas both ways. That's it.

Oh, and $400 in records from MouseGear lol.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
One thing I really wanted to do was follow up on the mural we had helped paint for the arts festival. It was all done!
IMG_0419.JPG
IMG_0420.JPG

Full and satisfied, it was decision time. I don't know when I got like this, but I have this thing about leaving early and beating the rush. But what a bummer! Hey, I was by myself. Kylie was good until 11pm. Brian was not home waiting for me - he was at work until 4am.

I could go standby for Frozen (wait time had gone down from 75 minutes to 45 minutes.) surprisingly, I could still get a FP for Illuminations. Heck, I could go to CBR and visit our bartender, and get one of my fave pork sandwiches to go.

I started walking towards Norway, suspecting the 45 minute wait would actually be less. Before I knew it, I had followed the flow of the crowd and was halfway down the walkway out of WS. Playing against type, I turned around, walked back to WS and to Norway. Wait time still showed as 45 minutes.

That flew by, because I was posting my TR posts as you can see from the time stamps lol so thanks, guys, for making 45 minutes seem a lot shorter!

(That, and it was really under a half hour.)

I enjoyed the ride better than the first time. It's really well done IMO, especially the snowman and the moose. (Wait - I'm supposed to be offended because I didn't learn much about Norway, right? Just as much as I didn't learn from Maelstrom? LOL.) Plus there were three young ladies in the row behind me who were obviously on it for the first time and having a blast. Their comments made me laugh. When it was over, I told them they were hysterical lol.

Now it's 8:30, didn't feel like waiting 30 mins for Illum. Bought my records, easy tram to the car, picked up the puppy, and back to the room in Tampa just after 10.

B is home, already out like a light. And now I want one of those sandwiches!!

Going to walk the mongrel and go back to bed.

Still waiting to hear if we will have a little Orlando adventure if B gets that gig up here. Will let you know! For now, here's a "hidden" Mickey electrical pole on I-4 West:
IMG_0425.JPG
IMG_0422.JPG

Bye for now!
IMG_0415.JPG

Last edited:

BuddyThomas

View attachment 189824 View attachment 189825 View attachment 189826 View attachment 189827 View attachment 189828

Can I just tell you how much I loved this?! (Finally!) As a kid who grew up in the 70s watching Sesame Street and then The Muppet Show - it was like seeing The Muppet Show "in person."

I ended up walking into MK at 1:57 and the next show was at 2pm. The next one after that was 4:15. I made it just in time for 2 by fast-walking directly to Liberty Square.
My clients Valerie Vigoda and Brendan Milburn wrote the music for this! They are part of the writing team from Striking 12, and other shows. Here's a clip from Striking 12 (a modern take on The Little Match Girl):

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Okay, so exactly how many times have you been there since the start of this report? My guess is 375.

377. Shooting for 378 by next month!

Hell, I'm still in Tampa. Fell asleep during Chris Hayes and woke up during Lawrence O'Donnell (Ari Melber.) If I didn't have the pup with me, I'd stop by on the way home (@Tuvalu is there!) but more likely I'll be home on Friday before lunch.

My clients Valerie Vigoda and Brendan Milburn wrote the music for this! They are part of the writing team from Striking 12, and other shows. Here's a clip from Striking 12 (a modern take on The Little Match Girl):

Well, thank them for me! It was very well done and authentic to The Muppets. ( I saw the Paul Revere one.)

P.S. " I have to watch the ball drop on TV." LOL.

MinnieM123

Premium Member

Talk about multi-tasking. I still can't get over the woman singing while also playing the violin!! I've always thought that it would take 100 percent of a person's ability to play something difficult like a violin, let along sing along! Very impressive! Nice music, too, Buddy. :)

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
OK a few minor updates:

1. Brian got the call about Orlando. They want him up there ASAP. The stadium opens in the first week of March, but he would not be done on opening day. He just got back from Tampa yesterday, so he said he could go up to Orlando Sunday. I'm expecting a shorter 1 to 2 week trip this time. They are supposed to get back to him today regarding whether or not they can put him up in a pet friendly hotel.

So we should be back soon!! Depending on his hours, maybe we can do RoL.

2. Got a call from a new department called Disney Signature Services which addresses concierge level stays. Started a separate thread about that. I don't think it's going to make much difference but hopefully they can help out if I am in a jam on booking something important.

3. I closed my Disney Savings Account. I don't know how I didn't realize this when I opened it, but pretty much you can only spend it on lodging or packages. With AP's, we never do packages. The main point of doing the DSA was to get the bonus $20 GC. But you don't get that until after you spend the $1K you save up. That means I might not get the GC until after the trip, and it's our last trip until our next AP. So it seemed kind of pointless, and I could use the money back now to pay bills. Plus - my remaining lodging bill is only around $700, so a $1K goal made no sense, either.

4. As of today, we have $1086.64 in Chase Visa points (!!) That will almost completely cover both crazy dinners - the butler dinner and the V&A dinner. (By next month, it will be completely covered - unless we spend a bit while B is in Orlando.) So the new challenge will be to save up another $700 to cover the GF!!

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
IMG_0486.PNG

Ta-da!

Brian went up to Orlando on Sunday and they did get him a pet friendly hotel. It's closer to Uni than to WDW, but that's close enough for me! He already warned me it's not a palace LOL. I don't care.

I decided to skip this week even though I would have enjoyed Jon Secada at Epcot on Friday. I knew Brian would be extra busy this week with opening day coming up on Sunday, and will probably have some unplanned late work nights based on the way things are going so far. I'd rather wait until next week after opening day when he would be more likely to be able to join me at the parks, at least in the evenings.

Also I have to speak at a local event on Tuesday. Both of us were supposed to go, but obviously he won't make it. We were written about in a book called "Ending Anita." It's about the fight for marriage equality in the state of Florida. We are friends with the couple from Key West who sued the state and were the first of several cases to win one after the other. We actually officially joined that lawsuit, filed all the paperwork, it's all public record – and then the big LGBT organizations got involved and advised our attorneys to remove us from the suit.

The reason was they said we were not similarly situated because that couple had never been legally married before, and we had been legally married in another state. They were afraid this could weaken the case on appeal. We still attended the trial, sat right up front, let the other couple and their friends crash in our room in the keys the night before, which was all fascinating in itself. What was nuts was when the decision came down in our favor, it specifically did not apply to couples married out of state, which the judge outright said was because there were no such couples attached to the lawsuit. :banghead:

What all that means is there is a chapter in the book all about Brian and me. So I'm going to speak at a local reading on Tuesday.

As for Orlando, I'm booked for Wednesday through Saturday with the puppy and the hubby. We may even get a full Disney day that Friday.

This was the only fast pass I could find for rivers of light during that time frame. B's been working until around 7 PM, so hopefully that Thursday he'll be able to get out early enough to join me. (either way, I'm going! Does that make me terrible? LOL.)

Still have to clear all of this with Best Friends Pet Care. When they have been full, I've never found a comparable local alternative.

More good news: they have been very impressed with Brian up there and asked if he would like to return later in the month, after he finishes up with a local event down here mid-month.

So I may be going back yet again! Isn't this crazy?

Good thing our Disney tickets prohibit us from going from June through August LOL. That's the only thing that will keep us away at this point!

Anyway, very glad to have this unplanned visit for the flower and Garden Festival next week.

Also next week is the 180 day mark to call and get that reservation for Victoria and Albert's! Now don't any of you compete with me LOL.

:bored:

BuddyThomas

View attachment 192043

Ta-da!

Brian went up to Orlando on Sunday and they did get him a pet friendly hotel. It's closer to Uni than to WDW, but that's close enough for me! He already warned me it's not a palace LOL. I don't care.

I decided to skip this week even though I would have enjoyed Jon Secada at Epcot on Friday. I knew Brian would be extra busy this week with opening day coming up on Sunday, and will probably have some unplanned late work nights based on the way things are going so far. I'd rather wait until next week after opening day when he would be more likely to be able to join me at the parks, at least in the evenings.

Also I have to speak at a local event on Tuesday. Both of us were supposed to go, but obviously he won't make it. We were written about in a book called "Ending Anita." It's about the fight for marriage equality in the state of Florida. We are friends with the couple from Key West who sued the state and were the first of several cases to win one after the other. We actually officially joined that lawsuit, filed all the paperwork, it's all public record – and then the big LGBT organizations got involved and advised our attorneys to remove us from the suit.

The reason was they said we were not similarly situated because that couple had never been legally married before, and we had been legally married in another state. They were afraid this could weaken the case on appeal. We still attended the trial, sat right up front, let the other couple and their friends crash in our room in the keys the night before, which was all fascinating in itself. What was nuts was when the decision came down in our favor, it specifically did not apply to couples married out of state, which the judge outright said was because there were no such couples attached to the lawsuit. :banghead:

What all that means is there is a chapter in the book all about Brian and me. So I'm going to speak at a local reading on Tuesday.

As for Orlando, I'm booked for Wednesday through Saturday with the puppy and the hubby. We may even get a full Disney day that Friday.

This was the only fast pass I could find for rivers of light during that time frame. B's been working until around 7 PM, so hopefully that Thursday he'll be able to get out early enough to join me. (either way, I'm going! Does that make me terrible? LOL.)

Still have to clear all of this with Best Friends Pet Care. When they have been full, I've never found a comparable local alternative.

More good news: they have been very impressed with Brian up there and asked if he would like to return later in the month, after he finishes up with a local event down here mid-month.

So I may be going back yet again! Isn't this crazy?

Good thing our Disney tickets prohibit us from going from June through August LOL. That's the only thing that will keep us away at this point!

Anyway, very glad to have this unplanned visit for the flower and Garden Festival next week.

Also next week is the 180 day mark to call and get that reservation for Victoria and Albert's! Now don't any of you compete with me LOL.

:bored:
If you take one more G*d-d*amned trip before I am able to go back, I. Am. Going. To. Kill. You.

Said with a generous dose of I'm kidding and love.....and resentment. ;)

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
OK which one of you is super sweet :inlove: and very wealthy – and reserved the entire restaurant for us on our 10 year anniversary? :eek: We really would've been happy with just the chef's table, but that's so generous!

But seriously, I just got off the phone with Victoria and Albert's. It's true: one guest has reserved the entire restaurant on the exact date of our 10 year anniversary LOL. This is known as "a buyout."

That's a possibility I had never considered!

If it was Neil Patrick Harris - I'll get you NPH!! :devilish:

j/k :angelic:

At this moment, the chef's table is available on the sixth, the seventh, and the ninth. I can call next week to book either. The ninth is actually the day we are supposed to be leaving, and even if we stayed an extra night (which is possible) it wouldn't be at the Grand Floridian, and my whole plan of just walking from the room to the restaurant is over.

The most logical move would be the seventh, which is when I currently have the Butler dinner scheduled. I'm sure that would be easier to move. Or cancel? That did turn out to be more expensive than I had originally considered.

I can just reverse them – do V&A on the seventh – and it would be our anniversary at midnight anyway – and do the Butler dinner on our actual anniversary. But will any attempt at a "fancy" dinner be a let down the day after Victoria & Albert's?

Part of me is thinking cancel the Butler, add a tour, still come out ahead. Or even book something wonderful like Monsieur Paul and still come out ahead?:confused:

Granted, this is the ultimate splurge trip which has not been about saving money - but it is my nature to weigh every option obsessively to determine what is "worth the splurge."

And we tend to value the nice meals vs. many other WDW experiences.

I guess my new goal is V&A on the 7th, and plan something to go until midnight.

I have to find out the ramifications of changing or canceling the Butler dinner.:oops:I did give them a cc already.

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I liked your post but I really didn't want to...I cannot believe you can't go to V&As on your anniversary!!! :cry:

I think the seventh is the way to go, but why do you have to wait until next week to book it?

I am sure you are within the limits of canceling the Butler dinner without penalty (should you decide to do that.) If you love Monsieur Paul, perhaps that would be perfect for your actual anniversary since it would be different from the V&A meal experience the night before (whereas the Butler dinner would have the "GF feel" if that makes sense.) And you are already comfortable with the fact that Monsieur Paul is "worth the splurge." :)

Remember you are going to have a wonderful celebration even if it is not the "perfect plan" you had your mind set on. Sometimes those glitches life throws at us tend to work out better in the end!

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
I liked your post but I really didn't want to...I cannot believe you can't go to V&As on your anniversary!!! :cry:

I think the seventh is the way to go, but why do you have to wait until next week to book it?

I am sure you are within the limits of canceling the Butler dinner without penalty (should you decide to do that.) If you love Monsieur Paul, perhaps that would be perfect for your actual anniversary since it would be different from the V&A meal experience the night before (whereas the Butler dinner would have the "GF feel" if that makes sense.) And you are already comfortable with the fact that Monsieur Paul is "worth the splurge." :)

Remember you are going to have a wonderful celebration even if it is not the "perfect plan" you had your mind set on. Sometimes those glitches life throws at us tend to work out better in the end!

I liked your post, and I wanted to! :D

I'm really not bothered by it, just thrown off my game a little. These plans are over a year in the making LOL. I'm not one to panic or throw a fit if everything doesn't go my way, and yes I've learned many times in life that often something better happens as a result.

I mean, that kind of meal completely on the house with Disney points – who cares if it's on our anniversary eve? Totally fine with that.

And I know Brian is fine with anything. That's why he lets me do all the planning LOL.

I have to wait until next week to book it because of the 180 days out rule. That day is Friday – and I will be on property. :geek:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
But seriously, I just got off the phone with Victoria and Albert's. It's true: one guest has reserved the entire restaurant on the exact date of our 10 year anniversary LOL. This is known as "a buyout."

I can't even imagine . . .:eek: I couldn't afford one single meal in V & A-I just can't comprehend how much a buyout for a night in there would be. :facepalm:

So I read through some of your anniversary dinner dilemma posts. I'm thinking that you put too much pressure on yourself. As you indicated, Brian seems to be happy, no matter what you decide. I actually love the Butler meal idea. And it sounds very relaxing, elegant, and you'd receive outstanding personal service for that dinner. On the other hand, selecting a dinner at V&A , using your points, is another deal you can't easily refuse.

Perhaps, don't think so much about the actual "date" of an anniversary--rather, think about, "It's our anniversary week." I mean, do you really have to stick that close to the date for a special dinner--that may be even better on another night, but still close to the anniversary date? (However, I realize some people do want only the exact date.)

Maybe I'm just more practical in the way I look at things, and I'm not saying you're wrong, by any means. Guess I just wanted to share a different angle with you about all this, to possibly help you relax and enjoy the planning process a little bit more. No matter what your decision is, it will be fine.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
I can't even imagine . . .:eek: I couldn't afford one single meal in V & A-I just can't comprehend how much a buyout for a night in there would be. :facepalm:

So I read through some of your anniversary dinner dilemma posts. I'm thinking that you put too much pressure on yourself. As you indicated, Brian seems to be happy, no matter what you decide. I actually love the Butler meal idea. And it sounds very relaxing, elegant, and you'd receive outstanding personal service for that dinner. On the other hand, selecting a dinner at V&A , using your points, is another deal you can't easily refuse.

Perhaps, don't think so much about the actual "date" of an anniversary--rather, think about, "It's our anniversary week." I mean, do you really have to stick that close to the date for a special dinner--that may be even better on another night, but still close to the anniversary date? (However, I realize some people do want only the exact date.)

Maybe I'm just more practical in the way I look at things, and I'm not saying you're wrong, by any means. Guess I just wanted to share a different angle with you about all this, to possibly help you relax and enjoy the planning process a little bit more. No matter what your decision is, it will be fine.

I'm fine, everything will be fine, I'm sure. We always make the best of everything.

Going to shoot for the seventh for Victoria and Albert's.

I think if they let me out of the butler dinner, we will drop that. I was already a little leery of the total price tag since booking, but I was rolling with it. If we weren't already doing V&A, I could justify it. But we have had stellar meals on property for less than half the price, and I think I will enjoy it more in that atmosphere where I am thinking, "sure, get another appetizer! Sure, get another drink." At the Butler dinner, I'd be thinking, "we'd better get some free drinks at concierge first and only order one drink with dinner LOL."

And now I have the fun of researching and planning another restaurant!

If flying fish hadn't changed so much, that would be a no-brainer. We will definitely stop in there to see Craig at the bar, but after our last meal, I'm less gung-ho about it.

We may try something new, maybe something else at GF. I still like the idea of taking advantage of what's nearby – just walking from the room to dinner instead of hopping a bus or a monorail, etc.

Don't mistake my "lots of thinking" with stressing or worrying. I always know everything works out fine, but in the meantime it's a puzzle. I enjoy puzzles and I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I'm really looking for just the right answer. And what happened today with the V&A twist actually did give me an out for the Butler dinner that I was already thinking I may have overextended myself a bit on. It's $100 just for the Butler. How much more does a butler do than a waiter? Don't tell me!

I'll be researching tours as well.

And you're right – can you imagine how much it must cost to rent out that entire restaurant? It has to be either a celebrity or a really wealthy person – maybe a wedding? I feel like spying LOL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom