Holy new WDWMagic Home Page!

jessfriends

I miss the old photo viewer. When I click on the arrow to advance to the next photo my screen goes back up to the top of the page and I have to scroll down to the next photo. Before I could quickly click through them without problems. It took me twice the time to just go through the 30 pictures of the Fantasyland update. :(

I do like the new look. It is more modern but as with anything new it will take sometime to get used to it.

Slowjack

The difference now is that each large image has its only dedicated page and URL, which has the huge advantage that it is now possible to directly link to a specific image.
Eg http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...g2012-fantasyland-construction-site/16146.htm

In the past, you could only link to the entire gallery, not an individual image.
That's cool, but I've never linked to a picture here, and even for those who do, I have to imagine theylook through the galleries more often than they link to an individual picture. I don't suppose there's any way to have the best of both worlds? The photo updates--especially those great shots from Scuttle--are some of my favorite things here, and I worry they've just become tedious to view.

Merlin0402

I have to agree with the comments on the photo galleries now.... It took literally twice as long and double the clicks to view the photos in the latest gallery....

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
That's cool, but I've never linked to a picture here, and even for those who do, I have to imagine theylook through the galleries more often than they link to an individual picture. I don't suppose there's any way to have the best of both worlds? The photo updates--especially those great shots from Scuttle--are some of my favorite things here, and I worry they've just become tedious to view.
It does go beyond just linking. Having the image on its own URL means that it can be indexed by Google, and our own search engine. I take on board the comments, and will try to strike up a balance.

The other option of course is to nip out to the store and get a high resolution screen ;) It looks awesome on a MacBook Pro Retina, no scrolling required.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I miss the old photo viewer. When I click on the arrow to advance to the next photo my screen goes back up to the top of the page and I have to scroll down to the next photo. Before I could quickly click through them without problems. It took me twice the time to just go through the 30 pictures of the Fantasyland update. :(

I do like the new look. It is more modern but as with anything new it will take sometime to get used to it.

We have introduced a new option on the photo gallery screen called 'Hide Thumbnails'. For those of you on lower resolutions screens, this will hide the thumbnails, title, nav bar, and gallery name, moving the main image higher up the screen. This should reduce the amount of scrolling and jumping back to the top.

To revert back to the normal mode, just click 'Show Thumbnails'.

Texas84

We have introduced a new option on the photo gallery screen called 'Hide Thumbnails'. For those of you on lower resolutions screens, this will hide the thumbnails, title, nav bar, and gallery name, moving the main image higher up the screen. This should reduce the amount of scrolling and jumping back to the top.

To revert back to the normal mode, just click 'Show Thumbnails'.
Thanks! That was my only complaint and the hide thumbnails works great. Otherwise, I opened the site and my first thought was, "Wow!" Bright and easy to read and navigate.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I happen to love the new forums! But I particularly liked the original home-page slightly better... Still looks good tho. :)

828tnt

aaaaahhhhhh, i've got to get used to new stuff........!!!!!!!!???????

great so far steve! and thanks for all the hard work!

JML42691

Awesome update! One problem I have is that there doesn't seem to be a way to click between XL images in a gallery without having to go back to the thumbnails.

For instance, when viewing the photo below, to get to the next one in XL size I need to "X" out of the current photo, click on the thumbnail for the next image, and once loaded click on the medium size image to load the XL version...3 clicks to do what could be accomplished in a single one.

Screen Shot 2012-08-18 at 1.23.59 AM by jml42691, on Flickr

Is it possible to add a next/previous arrow to the XL viewing interface?

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Hey Steve @wdwmagic,
I love the new website! I spent a lot of yesterday popping back and forth in the construction photos and was really liking the layout.

One thing I noticed when I navigated to Trip Planning tab and went to look for the trip countdown, it has a broken link:
http://www.wdwmagic.com/tripcountdown
gives me a 404 error. I was not sure the best way to report issues to you, but I figured this might be a good way.

Tom

Beta Return
Awesome update! One problem I have is that there doesn't seem to be a way to click between XL images in a gallery without having to go back to the thumbnails.

For instance, when viewing the photo below, to get to the next one in XL size I need to "X" out of the current photo, click on the thumbnail for the next image, and once loaded click on the medium size image to load the XL version...3 clicks to do what could be accomplished in a single one.

Screen Shot 2012-08-18 at 1.23.59 AM by jml42691, on Flickr

Is it possible to add a next/previous arrow to the XL viewing interface?

This is something I also asked Steve about. This is a LightBox (or similar) plug-in that creates these pop-up photos. All versions of Lightbox I've worked with can navigate through all photos that are included on one page/post/article. I'm not sure what CMS he's using, so Lightbox may not be able to figure out which photos go with a given page. That may be the issue.

But yes, I too would like to be able to scroll forward and back from the version of the image in your screenshot.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
This is something I also asked Steve about. This is a LightBox (or similar) plug-in that creates these pop-up photos. All versions of Lightbox I've worked with can navigate through all photos that are included on one page/post/article. I'm not sure what CMS he's using, so Lightbox may not be able to figure out which photos go with a given page. That may be the issue.

But yes, I too would like to be able to scroll forward and back from the version of the image in your screenshot.
We aren't using any CMS or off-the-shelf product, we built the site from scratch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom