Hollywood Studios Park Wide Changes Incoming?

Big C 73

I just found the before and after images of the Bay Lake changes triggered by the construction of Grand Flo Villas. You can see the clear expansion of Bay Lake that happened between 2010 and 2012. Most people never even noticed this was happening or understood why. It's a good example of the mandatory compliance to the land use regulations that Disney has to deal with for every bit of development they do within the bounds of RCID. Despite what many people think, Disney and RCID still need to follow all environment regulations in place by state and federal agencies. They do not have the type of universal 'do whatever they want' power that some would like to ascribe to them. They can do a lot, but they still need to follow the laws.

View attachment 180372

View attachment 180373

Here is a provision of the Reedy Creek Improvement District (RCID) establishing Charter which possesses aqaubtifibale degree of land usage and designation procedures/conducts/clauses, in supplement to the entirety of governmental authorities and functions designated to the District.

https://www.rcid.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/RCID-Charter.pdf

donsullivan

Premium Member
Here is a provision of the Reedy Creek Improvement District (RCID) establishing Charter which possesses aqaubtifibale degree of land usage and designation procedures/conducts/clauses, in supplement to the entirety of governmental authorities and functions designated to the District.

https://www.rcid.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/RCID-Charter.pdf

Gotta love how obscure the language in all of those documents are. They are also subject to all of the regulations of the South Florida Water Management District which manages the overall environmental water system including flood control, etc.. for the region, including RCID. Whenever they want to do anything that impacts wetlands or water; especially the flood control system of canals throughout the property, SFWMD has to be engaged as well.

https://www.sfwmd.gov

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Gotta love how obscure the language in all of those documents are. They are also subject to all of the regulations of the South Florida Water Management District which manages the overall environmental water system including flood control, etc.. for the region, including RCID. Whenever they want to do anything that impacts wetlands or water; especially the flood control system of canals throughout the property, SFWMD has to be engaged as well.

https://www.sfwmd.gov

Yep, I post here about all the major SWFMD permits Disney files. They tend to be a very good source of information on these projects.

Last edited:

UpAllNight

Plenty of rumours swirling around about big plans for Disney World, be it already announced expansions, Epcot redo, 50th plans....but someone PLEASE answer this, it's probably my biggest bug bear about Disney World and its a crazily easy, cheap fix, yet no rumours at all..

Mermaid, Fantasmic, Indie and Beauty and the Beast have pretty much anchored this parks entertainment lineup for over 2 DECADES....when can we expect all four of these to move on (or in the case of Fantasmic, get enhanced).

DHSCM

I think the thing that bugs me most about the park is so much waste of time. The fact that they have so many shows is a nice thing, plenty of options for entertainment however the problem with that is all of those shows end by like 6:00 and the rest of the night its just wasted space, in the example of former LMA they did what two or three shows a day (granted it was expensive) but by 4:00 that whole area was empty. Another one is fantasmic; one or two shows a day that normally start at 7pm or later. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed all of the shows but it is very frusterating that most things get done so early.Throw in the Disney Jr area, last show is at 6:15 i believe and the characters stop meeting then. At DHS they have so much space not used to the full potential and if you missed something then you missed it. The only things that are full time open to close are TOT, RNRC, TSM, ST, and up until the new launch area was added GMR. With the new additions of TSL and SWL we will have more to do but I just hope they do something with the animation area and the sound stages.

Kman101

That to me is a problem with all of the parks. Meet and greets (besides a few that are indoors) and entertainment close up shop before dark most of the time. I know there are exceptions but the lack of things to do in the evening stands out to me. At least Animal Kingdom thought to add some entertainment at night to Discovery Island.

clemmo

Besides show updates which I hope will be included at some point in this overhaul is there any chance animation courtyard gets something to make it visitable again?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Besides show updates which I hope will be included at some point in this overhaul is there any chance animation courtyard gets something to make it visitable again?

Launch Bay and Disney Jr. have no shortage of visitors.

They could just simply stop calling it 'Animation Courtyard' since there is only one attraction there that traffics in animated characters. EDIT: oops, Little Mermaid is technically in the Courtyard though the entrance is on Mickey Avenue. So, between LM and Djr, there are still two animation-focused things there.

Once Star Wars Land is built, Launch Bay will vacate the old animation studio. The animation studio is never going to become an animation studio again, nor will it ever become an animation museum tour with a learn-to-draw a character event. It could become repurposed for whatever movie that is currently popular, or razed in the creation of a new "Land" in DHS. It's future is unknown. The Disney Jr. show could go on forever rotating in whatever TV characters are currently popular.

Last edited:

clemmo

Launch Bay and Disney Jr. have no shortage of visitors.

They could just simply stop calling it 'Animation Courtyard' since there is only one attraction there that traffics in animated characters. EDIT: oops, Little Mermaid is technically in the Courtyard though the entrance is on Mickey Avenue. So, between LM and Djr, there are still two animation-focused things there.

Once Star Wars Land is built, Launch Bay will vacate the old animation studio. The animation studio is never going to become an animation studio again, nor will it ever become an animation museum tour with a learn-to-draw a character event. It could become repurposed for whatever movie that is currently popular, or razed in the creation of a new "Land" in DHS. It's future is unknown. The Disney Jr. show could go on forever rotating in whatever TV characters are currently popular.
That's true about Disney Junior, but VOLM could use an update and the animation building will be empty once SWL opens. Hopefully they don't just use it as a space to promote new movies as they already have Sunset showcase that could surely do previews. I remember a few months ago @1023 said something about how there was more to come from this overall expansion hopefully he's right.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Couldn't agree with you more there. I love musical theater. I don't love VotLM.

I saw VotLM for the first time on my last trip and I have to agree it just didn't impress me. Doing the Under the Sea scene in blacklight was cool in concept, but they had to keep the lights so low it was really hard to see. I also think Kiss the Girl was a missed opportunity. By contrast we also say Finding Nemo for the first time and I liked that one a lot more.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I saw VotLM for the first time on my last trip and I have to agree it just didn't impress me. Doing the Under the Sea scene in blacklight was cool in concept, but they had to keep the lights so low it was really hard to see. I also think Kiss the Girl was a missed opportunity. By contrast we also say Finding Nemo for the first time and I liked that one a lot more.

The highlight of VotLM is Ariel belting out her showstopper. The rest sort of drags.

If it were up to me, I'd keep that number and make it a stage show of diva-belting show-stoppers. Throw in some background dancers like with the castle stage show. Sort of a live PhilharMagic. Another venue to meet the princesses. And good vocal performances the adults can appreciate. A Disney Broadway Review.

Kman101

Yeah. I never understood why a show, like The Golden Mickeys (or something similar), wasn't put into DHS. It would fit right in with the theme (as of now), and could have gone into the Hyperion. It would have a bunch of different show-stopper numbers. They could have ended VOLTM and B&TB and put in other things there.

Heck, I mean, DCA gets a Frozen Musical and we still have the Sing-Along. If that doesn't scream the differences in the parks, I don't know what else does.

PizzaPlanet

The funniest part is when giant Max (the dog) comes out at the end. That creature is so off scale its ridiculous.

Ryan H. Serowinski

VOTLM needs to go bye bye, and say hello to a Tangled(or any (GOOD) Disney animated classic that has songs) themed show, would Elena be in Disney Jr live, and would the Animation building go into pieces or put something else in that building?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom