Hollywood Studios Park Wide Changes Incoming?

Kman101

Couldn't they make Disney Junior fit into the old Sounds Dangerous, where the waste of Path of the Jedi is? I can't really remember the size of each but I'd imagine they could make it work if they wanted to, just a thought? Or they have Sunset Showcase, do Playhouse Disney during the day, Villain party at night? They have options. Or heck, put it in the Mermaid theater.

I'm not at all the target demo and have no kids at the moment, but I personally would hate to see the Disney Junior characters go away. There's a place for them and the show.

HauntedMansionFLA

Couldn't they make Disney Junior fit into the old Sounds Dangerous, where the waste of Path of the Jedi is? I can't really remember the size of each but I'd imagine they could make it work if they wanted to, just a thought? Or they have Sunset Showcase, do Playhouse Disney during the day, Villain party at night? They have options. Or heck, put it in the Mermaid theater.

I'm not at all the target demo and have no kids at the moment, but I personally would hate to see the Disney Junior characters go away. There's a place for them and the show.
I had to tell my wife sorry for making her sit through a video that we have seen before on TV and I'ma huge SW fan.

Kman101

I think most of us here agree on that but that doesn't mean the show and it's characters don't deserve a place. The area features a stage show and meet and greets that could moved anywhere, a 20+ year old stage show that's not kept up with that needs to be replaced and a large former animation building that serves a purpose but is clearly a placeholder. So much could be done with the area. No one's really arguing that something doesn't need to be done.

Goofyernmost

Anyone have that map that was posted on the forums here that shows what land around WDW is suitable for construction?
Everyplace is suitable if they want to spend the money to make it that way, which they don't. If we can't get them to build stuff on areas that are currently suitable, there is very little chance of an expensive development happening.

MagicHappens1971

Everyplace is suitable if they want to spend the money to make it that way, which they don't. If we can't get them to build stuff on areas that are currently suitable, there is very little chance of an expensive development happening.
That actually isn't true. There are parts of WDW that are protected wildlife reserves.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
That actually isn't true. There are parts of WDW that are protected wildlife reserves.

Disney can remove that designation and offset it with land they own outside the boundaries of WDW, which they have recently done. For example the area between the DHS entrance road and Victory way was recently removed from the conservation area.

Bolt

The Sounds Dangerous theater is probably 1/5 the size with no real back of house for the performers or room for an elevated tech booth.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Disney can remove that designation and offset it with land they own outside the boundaries of WDW, which they have recently done. For example the area between the DHS entrance road and Victory way was recently removed from the conservation area.

While they can, and have had that designation changed at least twice that I'm aware of (the first time was for development of Celebration) with the acquisition of offset land away from RCID, it's not always quite that easy. Often, the land designated as conservation is considered not suitable for construction with currently available techniques. Usually when they want to do this SFWMD requires a compensating change which has triggered Disney to purchase land outside of RCID and guarantee to keep it in it's natural state as an offset for the change. A good example of this is the Walker Ranch acquisition in exchange for Celebration. The biggest issue that drives this is watershed. They can't make changes that impact the watershed without agreement from SFWMD and often the EPA is involved as well.

A good example of the watershed impact that many didn't notice was what happened to Bay Lake when they build Grand Flo Villas. They filled in an area of Seven Seas Lagoon for that construction. SFWMD required that they maintain the exact same surface area of water in the connected waterways. As a result, they dug out an expansion of Bay Lake just to the south of the east side of the water bridge. That expanded the size of Bay Lake to compensate for the square footage filled in by the construction.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
While they can, and have had that designation changed at least twice that I'm aware of (the first time was for development of Celebration) with the acquisition of offset land away from RCID, it's not always quite that easy. Often, the land designated as conservation is considered not suitable for construction with currently available techniques. Usually when they want to do this SFWMD requires a compensating change which has triggered Disney to purchase land outside of RCID and guarantee to keep it in it's natural state as an offset for the change. A good example of this is the Walker Ranch acquisition in exchange for Celebration. The biggest issue that drives this is watershed. They can't make changes that impact the watershed without agreement from SFWMD and often the EPA is involved as well.

A good example of the watershed impact that many didn't notice was what happened to Bay Lake when they build Grand Flo Villas. They filled in an area of Seven Seas Lagoon for that construction. SFWMD required that they maintain the exact same surface area of water in the connected waterways. As a result, they dug out an expansion of Bay Lake just to the south of the east side of the water bridge. That expanded the size of Bay Lake to compensate for the square footage filled in by the construction.

Yes, this is true, this is why Disney will never get rid of all of the conservation land within WDW, but no single piece of land is off limits. The area I mentioned next to DHS is considered unsuitable for construction but some of it will be used for the new DHS entrance and parking, and since they have released the conservation easement I have to think they plan to build more there. The DHS land was offset with the 3000 acre Mira Lago plot that is in southern Osceola county.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I just found the before and after images of the Bay Lake changes triggered by the construction of Grand Flo Villas. You can see the clear expansion of Bay Lake that happened between 2010 and 2012. Most people never even noticed this was happening or understood why. It's a good example of the mandatory compliance to the land use regulations that Disney has to deal with for every bit of development they do within the bounds of RCID. Despite what many people think, Disney and RCID still need to follow all environment regulations in place by state and federal agencies. They do not have the type of universal 'do whatever they want' power that some would like to ascribe to them. They can do a lot, but they still need to follow the laws.

Bay Lake 2010.png

Bay Lake 2012.png

Ryan H. Serowinski

Wish this park had more rides, attractions, areas, and update the park's two oldest stage shows(BATB and VOTLM) even though it's a great, but overlooked park, and glad they're adding more to it.

abaker1975

Has anybody done a guesstimate map of what DHS will look like after all the changes? I would like some help in visualizing what the layout of the part will be after Toyland and Star Wars open.

MrHappy

Agreed. The concept is irrelevant for a non-studios park, won't be required to support SW once SWL is open, and the building as it stands seems near impossible to re-use as a people eating attraction. Being so close to TT & RNR, it's removal would open another potential path to Sunset Blvd, with ample room for an attraction(s) & dining options. But alas, that's just AI (Armchair Imagineering).
I was doing a little AI'ing myself in the "Aerial DHS" thread, hoping for an outter loop to the park. Ranging from TOT to TSL to SWL to Muppets, etc. Would be similar to the hub and spoke model with GMR/Mickey as the Castle/Tree of Life centerpiece. That thought was pretty much shot down though from the forum.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom