Hollywood and Vine now ADR only for Lunch

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Original Poster
Today went to Hollywood Studios because DBIL's kids wanted to do TSMM and ToT and RnR - You get it, managed to secure a reservation at 50's Prime Time. But Kids took one look at menu did the YUK thing then it was on to plan B.

Went to Hollywood and Vine since it has a Kid friendly buffet only to find it's now ADR only for lunch, This is new and it looks like DHS is going to become the model of the 'reservation only' park since we had TSMM be FP+ only this year and now Hollywood and Vine is ADR only.

Ended up eating at ABC commissary the flank steak was not bad for the price 11.99 and the salmon was quite good. The burgers continued their streak as completely inedible.

In what strange universe is Hollywood and Vine reservation only and the Brown Derby - walk up.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Even though the food kinda sucks I would expect restaurants like that to be pretty much full and therefore requiring and ADR anyways. Did they use to allow and have walk-ins?

Jon81uk

We walked into Hollywood and Vine for lunch in September 2010 and the restaurant was quite empty really. Although they still seemed reluctant to take us as a walk-up.

I do think they need to make big changes to the ADR system, assign 25% of capacity to walk ups, this would also help if parties who have a reservation take longer than expected as it gives some flexibilty in the number of guests. BUT they also need to make use of every single table!

Last edited:

Bolt

Today went to Hollywood Studios because DBIL's kids wanted to do TSMM and ToT and RnR - You get it, managed to secure a reservation at 50's Prime Time. But Kids took one look at menu did the YUK thing then it was on to plan B.

Went to Hollywood and Vine since it has a Kid friendly buffet only to find it's now ADR only for lunch, This is new and it looks like DHS is going to become the model of the 'reservation only' park since we had TSMM be FP+ only this year and now Hollywood and Vine is ADR only.

Ended up eating at ABC commissary the flank steak was not bad for the price 11.99 and the salmon was quite good. The burgers continued their streak as completely inedible.

In what strange universe is Hollywood and Vine reservation only and the Brown Derby - walk up.
The salmon on property is always good, surprisingly enough

stevehousse

It's always been ADR only because it's a character meal. Brown Durby is expensive and a 2 credit place so those don't really fill up as fast as something like a character meal does.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Original Poster
Even character breakfast USED TO leave a remnant for walk-ups. I understand being "essentially booked," but they used to leave a few for the day of.
Yes, h&v used to take walk ups this trip is the first time I've been unable to secure a walk up. Wait used to be 35-45 minutes even at busy times. When I was there half the tables were EMPTY.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Original Poster
We walked into Hollywood and Vine for lunch in September 2010 and the restaurant was quite empty really. Although they still seemed reluctant to take us as a walk-up.

Even 10% walk up - this new behavior is so consistent with the WDW sure thing only practice yes if restaurant is fully staffed there is the possibility that guests will not come unlikely but possible but they would rather staff only for guarantees and zap guests who dare not show for their ADR's

I do think they need to make big changes to the ADR system, assign 25% of capacity to walk ups, this would also help if parties who have a reservation take longer than expected as it gives some flexibilty in the number of guests. BUT they also need to make use of every single table!

Love child of IT and Cost Accountant who know cost of everything and value of nothing...

Last edited:

Figments Friend

I know many do not seem to like the chow over at the Commissary, but the few times i stopped by and had their Asian Salad i thought it was quite good.

Of course, that was a few years ago and i have not eaten there recently.
Perhaps things have changed.

The Commissary seems to always be at the bottom of the list for many people when it comes to dining options.

Biff215

This is strange, as even breakfast there typically has open tables. I can't imagine it being any busier for lunch. When I need an ADR for lunch. I go elsewhere!

BrerJon

Yes, h&v used to take walk ups this trip is the first time I've been unable to secure a walk up. Wait used to be 35-45 minutes even at busy times. When I was there half the tables were EMPTY.

Normally, it's not the empty tables that matter but how many staff are on duty. Even if half the restaurant is empty, if Disney planning has estimated that only 50% capacity is needed, they'll have only called 50% of staff into work, or more than expected may have called in sick, so they won't have enough staff to cover those empty tables even if they wanted to.

There's always going to be a percentage of guests that don't show up though, especially if they forget a reservation they made six months ago, so Disney should staff to levels where the expect a percentage of no-shows, with the spare spots filled by walk-ins, so ruling them out completely for H&V seems odd. But if they're trying to save a few bucks, they may not want to take the risk on paying for staff when nobody is coming in through the door.

But I have another theory on why H&V might be doing this...

In most character restaurants, the characters try to visit every table. Most guests won't leave until every character on offer has been round. But in a big restaurant, that's going to take a long time, and a restaurant is more profitable the shorter time people spend (as they can get more guests in to replace them).

Let's say the following was true:
20 tables spend $30, average table 4 people, average meal time (waiting for 5 characters to get round all 20 tables) - 60 minutes = $2400 per hour.
40 tables spend $30, average table 4 people, average meal time (waiting for 5 characters to get round 40 tables) - 2 hours = $2400 per hour.

So they take the same money, regardless of how full the restaurant would be. Now why not fill the whole restaurant then? Because although the money coming in may be the same, the costs per hour are doubled as you need twice as many wait staff... make it ADR only, and you halve your wage bill while taking the same amount of money. Disney financing at it's finest.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Original Poster
I know many do not seem to like the chow over at the Commissary, but the few times i stopped by and had their Asian Salad i thought it was quite good.

Of course, that was a few years ago and i have not eaten there recently.
Perhaps things have changed.

The Commissary seems to always be at the bottom of the list for many people when it comes to dining options.

Agree Asian Salad is usually good but after a hard morning with Nephews I wanted PROTEIN!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Original Poster
Normally, it's not the empty tables that matter but how many staff are on duty. Even if half the restaurant is empty, if Disney planning has estimated that only 50% capacity is needed, they'll have only called 50% of staff into work, or more than expected may have called in sick, so they won't have enough staff to cover those empty tables even if they wanted to.

There's always going to be a percentage of guests that don't show up though, especially if they forget a reservation they made six months ago, so Disney should staff to levels where the expect a percentage of no-shows, with the spare spots filled by walk-ins, so ruling them out completely for H&V seems odd. But if they're trying to save a few bucks, they may not want to take the risk on paying for staff when nobody is coming in through the door.

But I have another theory on why H&V might be doing this...

In most character restaurants, the characters try to visit every table. Most guests won't leave until every character on offer has been round. But in a big restaurant, that's going to take a long time, and a restaurant is more profitable the shorter time people spend (as they can get more guests in to replace them).

Let's say the following was true:
20 tables spend $30, average table 4 people, average meal time (waiting for 5 characters to get round all 20 tables) - 60 minutes = $2400 per hour.
40 tables spend $30, average table 4 people, average meal time (waiting for 5 characters to get round 40 tables) - 2 hours = $2400 per hour.

So they take the same money, regardless of how full the restaurant would be. Now why not fill the whole restaurant then? Because although the money coming in may be the same, the costs per hour are doubled as you need twice as many wait staff... make it ADR only, and you halve your wage bill while taking the same amount of money. Disney financing at it's finest.

Yes I'm afraid you are correct - this seems more in line with financial engineering as opposed to good restaurant management.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom