Hogwarts Express Details

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
With just over 3 attractions. ;)

We were in MGM a few months after it opened. 4 hours and we were out. Not much different than today or Animal Kingdom. I do have to say though Sunset Blvd. is my favorite expansion of the 4 parks.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Forcing guests to buy a 2 park pass to experience the attraction is going to leave a lot of unhappy guests in the Universal Orlando resort. After paying 16 dollars for parking and roughly 100 dollars for admission, telling certain guests you can't ride the newest attraction in the park will not go over well.

Also, JK Rowling making guests go through a brick wall to enter Diagon Alley is going to get old very fast. The first time it may be cool, but on repeat visits it will become very tiresome. Not to mention the guaranteed narrow walkways in the new land.

I love Potter, but Disney is way better off buying Star Wars, Marvel, and Pixar then renting Potter and having to deal with that lunatic(Rowling).

I haven't read the details of how the brick wall is going to work yet, can you point me to this information?. Must be something pretty intrusive if you think people are going to get tired of it.

As for the narrow walkways, Phase 1 is pretty small and has very small shops but this doesn't seem to have hurt attendance, why would you think it will be a problem with the expansion?

twebber55

Forcing guests to buy a 2 park pass to experience the attraction is going to leave a lot of unhappy guests in the Universal Orlando resort. After paying 16 dollars for parking and roughly 100 dollars for admission, telling certain guests you can't ride the newest attraction in the park will not go over well.

Also, JK Rowling making guests go through a brick wall to enter Diagon Alley is going to get old very fast. The first time it may be cool, but on repeat visits it will become very tiresome. Not to mention the guaranteed narrow walkways in the new land.

I love Potter, but Disney is way better off buying Star Wars, Marvel, and Pixar then renting Potter and having to deal with that lunatic(Rowling).
seems like a read somewhere that about 85% of the people who go to UOR already have a hopper

Rob562

Does anyone have any detail about how the entrance to 93/4 is going to work. It sounds like you will be able to walk through the wall similar to the books/movies. Should be amazing if they pull that off too.

My thought is that it won't have the feel of the movies, but rather it's an optical illusion set up for people farther back in line. From some point farther back in line you pass somewhere that you can see people ahead in line, and from your perspective it looks like they're walking right through the brick wall like in the movie. But when it's actually you walking past that point, it doesn't look like anything different.

Of course, I could be wrong...

-Rob

TalkingHead

The Platform 9 3/4 effect is a simple optical illusion using a forced perspective brick pattern. I believe that there will also be a Musion Effect off to the side.

I think this may be the single effect I'm most curious to see.

If it's to work convincingly, guests will have to be prevented from seeing "behind" the arch they're walking into, since presumably the arch will have to be extended to accommodate the guests who have walked through 9 3/4 and onto the magical platform. You'll have to believe the 9 3/4 arch is only an arch, not a prop with more depth that is hiding the guests who have already walked through.

Musion Effect on the side sounds like character(s) instructing you how to go through the arch -- wonder if this might be Harry and/or the gang's appearance for the Hogwarts Express.

got2lovedisney

In the Parks
No
So hang on...in order for me to see both versions of the Hogwarts Express I need to first fork over extra cash for a park hopper. OK, I guess I can deal with that since I already have a ticket in my piggy bank. Now I need to wait in line for, given the popularity expected of this ride, at least 60-90 minutes for a 4 minute ride and THEN do the same in reverse to get back to where I started? I'm assuming it's a one-way ride and you have to get off. Is this correct?

Disneyhead'71

So hang on...in order for me to see both versions of the Hogwarts Expreis one ride s I need to first fork over extra cash for a park hopper. OK, I guess I can deal with that since I already have a ticket in my piggy bank. Now I need to wait in line for, given the popularity expected of this ride, at least 60-90 minutes for a 4 minute ride and THEN do the same in reverse to get back to where I started? I'm assuming it's a one-way ride and you have to get off. Is this correct?
You are absolutely correct. You ride the train to Hogsmeade then you will have to requeue to get back to Diagon Alley. This is one ride system working as transport between two seperate gates. When was the last time you took the monorail to Epcot and expected to get in to Epcot on your MK ticket?

got2lovedisney

In the Parks
No
You are absolutely correct. You ride the train to Hogsmeade then you will have to requeue to get back to Diagon Alley. This is one ride system working as transport between two seperate gates. When was the last time you took the monorail to Epcot and expected to get in to Epcot on your MK ticket?
Thanks for confirming my thought about the re-queue.
As to the monorail, that's a different animal. Epcot/TTC monorail doesn't go into the parks...no admission required and you can stay on as long as you like.

lazyboy97o

The Hogwarts Express will without a doubt be an E Ticket. And it has a 4 min. ride time/7 min. cycle time.

universal-diagon-alley-kings-cross-station-art-012314.jpg
Is that an official rendering? Yeash. :confused:

As for the narrow walkways, Phase 1 is pretty small and has very small shops but this doesn't seem to have hurt attendance, why would you think it will be a problem with the expansion?
Disney is teh rulz and Uni is teh sux!

draybook

I thought Jimmy Thick left?

WildcatDen

The point is that Universal is creating an E-ticket in a year's time. Disney should be ashamed.
With that logic, King's Island is in the same topic. When they add a ride, it usually gets announced prior to the end of the season and then built and opened by the start of the next season. Let's see Uni and Disney do that, in the Winter Weather, with gloves on, and ear muffs, eh?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

Lunatic, indeed. How dare she care about how her creation is presented to the world. What a total nut job to want creative control over a world she created. Thank god she landed at Uni, they understand that she is the one whose vision has driven this massive property forward.

It's going to go over just fine. At WDW, you need to buy multipark passes to experience new rides in different parks. If I ride Little Mermaid, then want to experience Star Tours 2.0, guess what? I need to buy a ticket that allows me entry into DHS as well as MK.

Why is a cool, fun, authentic effect going to get tiresome? The first time I saw the queue for Star Tours 2.0, it was cool, and guess what? It's still cool, because it is well done.

jdmdisney99

Does anyone have any detail about how the entrance to 93/4 is going to work. It sounds like you will be able to walk through the wall similar to the books/movies. Should be amazing if they pull that off too.
I think this may be the single effect I'm most curious to see.

If it's to work convincingly, guests will have to be prevented from seeing "behind" the arch they're walking into, since presumably the arch will have to be extended to accommodate the guests who have walked through 9 3/4 and onto the magical platform. You'll have to believe the 9 3/4 arch is only an arch, not a prop with more depth that is hiding the guests who have already walked through.

Musion Effect on the side sounds like character(s) instructing you how to go through the arch -- wonder if this might be Harry and/or the gang's appearance for the Hogwarts Express.
Yep. Think Labyrinth. That's how I picture it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom