HKDL for a DLP regular - what to do/skip?

cdd89

Original Poster
Hi folks,

I'm visiting Hong Kong Disneyland for a day and a bit this weekend (which will complete one visit to every resort within a year... although not every park!!) and I'm trying to decide what to do (or more accurately, what to skip). My 'home' resort is Disneyland Paris.

I'm hoping to do all the major attractions, but while I'm planning to "look" every part of the park I'm thinking of skipping actual rides on these based on them being clones of their Disneyland Paris equivalents:

1) Toy Story Land - is there anything in here that is unique and worth riding? (I'll probably do RC Racer for the views if nothing else, but is it original on any way?)

2) Stitch Encounter - is this a new show, or a clone of "Stitch Live"?

3) Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters - I'm pretty certain this is worth skipping bases on the same attraction existing in Disneyland Paris, but throwing it out there just in case there's something super cool I've forgotten.

Thanks!
Chris

cdd89

Original Poster
Hi,

I ended up having enough time to try each of these attractions. Hopefully this will be useful for someone else with DLP as their home park.

1) Toy Story Land

The attractions are identical. Completely identical. RC Racer doesn't have a single rider line, but that's not a lot of use in Paris anyway since the seats are rows of 4 and most people are parties of even numbers. It's worth noting this had short waiting times on Sunday - unlike Paris where it usually has insane wait times. Consequently I rode it a couple of times. Mainly this and Parachute Drop are useful as an excuse to get high up and see the park (esp. At night),although on the latter be sure to get a seat facing into the park. Even if you plan to skip these attractions - which might be a good idea - its worth seeing the land. It's very immersive and a lot larger than the pokey little corner in Paris. It does an amazing job (also unlike Paris) at making you feel shrunk down. A few examples that stuck out in my mind were the oversized Crayola pens 'balanced' on the floor, the "paper" stuck to a post with "tape", and the use of a grass-like plant (I'm no horticulturalist...) that is much, much taller than grass. It doesn't hurt that I LOVE Rex, either... let's just say he's well-represented! A HUGE surprise delight - check this out at all costs, even if (like me) you don't care for the Paris version of Toy Story Land: while it may be Hong Kong's cheapest area, it's still many times better than Paris's version.

2) Stitch Encounter

This reuses certain footage (and the final plot with helping stitch find the cruiser), but apart from this it's quite different. Firstly the show is about twice as long. This is a product of the fact that they don't alternate between languages every showing. Instead there are defined periods when it will be in English, and other periods when it will be in Cantonese. There are fewer English periods. I wasn't that wild about the attraction in Paris, but I really enjoyed this version. These plots wear thin quickly but the interaction is fun to watch and different every time. Second, the style is quite different. Presumably it's a cultural thing, but there was less of an attempt at getting the audience to laugh at the interviewing audience members in HK - you were laughing at Stitch instead. Third, there's no preshow video in HK (a slight minus).

3) Buzz lightyear

This attraction is extremely similar to the Paris version. I think most people will be fine skipping it, but it does have a significantly different queue line and a few different objects in the few scenes.

Grizzly Runaway Mine Cars was sadly closed for the entire day due to a tech problem, which was a shame as I was looking forward to that.

Overall a great trip though. It's a really great resort with good maintenance and upkeep. In some ways, I would even say it's my favourite resort: although it's small, that's the only thing you can say against it, and the product as a whole is pretty much flawless (meaning that it's well worth enjoying the resorts, walkways and so on). Other resorts seem to drag you back into the real world as you explore beyond the boundaries of the park (for all the positive praise Tokyo gets, I think this is one of its biggest failings), and that's not the case in HK. The "park promenade" (walking route to hotels and ferry) is incredibly detailed and is a great example of the resort spending money where they don't absolutely have to - beautiful paving, Disney characters on posters, fountains, labelled trees and Disney music every step of the way? Sign me up! 'The Golden Mickeys' proved a surprise delight - I disagree with other commentators who said there's a language barrier (it's only the bits between the musical numbers that are in Cantonese, and they're fully translated - the plot of the show isn't going to win any Golden Mickeys, so you're not missing much there). Arrive early (more than 20 minutes, early which is when I arrived!) if you don't want to sit near the back. Jungle Cruise was the surprise disappointment, where while it was in English, the skipper didn't deliver the lines with that "sardonic" streak that really makes the attraction for me elsewhere.

Obviously Mystic Manor and Paint The Night were highlights, but they were hardly surprises. Needless to say they lived up to their hype...

Last edited:

coolmark18

Thanks for coming back and updating this post with your findings. I'm heading oved next week and as a visitor to Paris, found this helpful.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom