HK Disneyland website update

NeXuS1000

About the first comment, it's just you said they spent too much on hotels when building DLP. The fact is they simply spend too much on everything...

But you're right, if guests get bored at HKDL, they will have nowhere to go. Of course they can spend some time in the shopping area as well and if they live at the hotel they can go relax there. But as I said, if Disney get that response and if it shows off attendance-wise, they will hurry in with new attractions. It's simply a demand... and then the resort will grow...

tomm4004

NeXuS1000 said:
But as I said, if Disney get that response and if it shows off attendance-wise, they will hurry in with new attractions. It's simply a demand... and then the resort will grow...
I hope you're right, but I'm not convinced. I haven't seen it happen anywhere else when attendance has been low. DLP didn't get anything new for years because there was no money.

Where do you think the money for new attractions will come from?

NeXuS1000

Now you're closing in to my point:

You haven't seen other places get new attraction for several years. Now those places I presume are WDSP, DCA and AK. Now these parks are second-parks (AK is fourth, I know).

With DLP attendance was right from the first moment high. So they didn't need to add anything new (the park was pretty good attraction-wise from day 1). But because it was so expensive, the debt almost killed the park.

But Disney has learnt from ALL previous park experiences that a Magic Kingdom park will always be succesful attendance-wise no matter what you do. So when opening day for HKDL comes, the new strategy will show it's consequence. Either the park will be a succes and people will flock and DIsney can get the money to continually expand the resort. Or the pack will flop and Disney will simply need to pound in more money to attract people.

The latter option, as you rightly point out, has not been used for second-parks. The reason here is that Disney know there is a cheaper method. Since there's already a lot of people visiting the other parks, they know the people are on site and by offering good combo-deals etc., they try to attract people that way (and expand the park a bit more slowly). And the second-parks are also used to make the stay more lengthier, so the visitors maybe spend an extra day also in the MK and spend more money in the Disney Village and hotels.

This is simply not possible for HKDL because it's the ONLY park down there. So if they don't want to expand the park to get more attendance (if it fails to draw crowds), they can perhaps try to pour money into marketing, lowering prices etc. But I doubt Disney believe that this will be valuable in the long term, so... expanding is the only logically way forward for me. Also because an expansion can create more overall revenue.

tomm4004

I do understand where you are going, but my question is "where will the money come from?" From Disney? From the HK government? Disney does not want to pour money into HKDL. It wants to invest as little as possible (which it has done) and collect royalties and management fees. As for the HK gov., if the place starts losing cash, I don't think the citizens of HK will be crazy about throwing good money after bad.

As for being certain that any MK will be a smash hit, if Disney were sure of that they would have built more attractions. As it is, they aren't certain, which is why they are going the anemic route. But I think they are assuring poor word-of-mouth (and thus possibly poor attendance) by doing this.

Hopefully, the guests will love the attractions that are there enough to be lenient.

NeXuS1000

About the sparse amount of attractions being a result of Disney uncertainty: Disney was certain that DLP would be a succes... and it was! But because of all the overspending, it became an enourmous problem.

But it is a good question, where the money will come from. For all we know, the government and Disney may already have a lenghty plan of expansions and "rescue" plans.

But one thing is sure. The HK government has already spent too much money to let the park just fade away into dust. The will pour more money, if necessary, into it. Besides, if you heard the latest shareholder presentation and saw the powerpoint graphics, you will know that Disney really want to take the Chinese and Indian market, since they have now proven to be very valuable. By the income Disney makes on something like TDL, I'm sure they know that HKDL can make a hell of lot of money if it is succesful. I actually think you will see a second park open within 10 years at HKDL...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
gardabble said:
Yeah, like a 30-40 minute bus ride from my apartment. hmm sounds interesting been the official photographer.

Unofficial official of course! You know how we love our photos at WDWmagic, and you have a WDWMagic photo album you can cram with resort and park photos - I hope!

This opportunity hasn`t happened since 1992, and may not happen again - a whole new Disney resort from scratch. The rides, facades, layout, theming, transport, hotels... and it all looks so new too!

Of course, only if you can, but you seem the best bet!

tomm4004

NeXuS1000 said:
Disney really want to take the Chinese and Indian market, since they have now proven to be very valuable.
Agreed. And I think that HKDL is really the start of a new business model. I think I read that they expected 5 to 6 million guests per year - at least at the start. Compare this with the 16 million per year that Tokyo MK was getting prior to the opening of TDS. Therefore, if your revenue is 1/3, then your expenses must be 1/3. So using this logic, HKDL can't possibly have as many attractions as TDL - MK has.

Also, the capacity of HKDL doesn't seem enough to handle much more than 5 or 6 million. Imagine a typical Disneyland crowd trying to fit on 10 attractions - most of which are very low capacity. The park would overflow.

I guess the question is: will the demand be enough that expansion is necessary? And if the park fails, will it be because of an anemic attraction roster and poor word-of-mouth, or simply due to a failed business model and miscalculation of the market? Hopefully, they will be able to tell and will plan accordingly.

I'm just not convinced that the park will expand dramatically regardless of its success or failure as you have stated. Either way, I think we'll see a very slow build and patchwork solutions.

Overall, I think it's Eisner's plan to build essentially mini-MKs and plant them in markets around the world. Even in the annual report he said he had no plans to drop an MK on every street corner - which leads me to believe he does have something along those lines in mind. Disney is all about volume now!

jrriddle

marni1971 said:
Unofficial official of course! You know how we love our photos at WDWmagic, and you have a WDWMagic photo album you can cram with resort and park photos - I hope!

This opportunity hasn`t happened since 1992, and may not happen again - a whole new Disney resort from scratch. The rides, facades, layout, theming, transport, hotels... and it all looks so new too!

Of course, only if you can, but you seem the best bet!

Yes The Hotels! Just from the pictures on the website, I would love to see what the finshed product is going to look like!
If you can Gardabble, that would be great!
And don't forget to pick up some opening day maps and booklets to put on EBay. I know I'll bid on them.
(Unless you want to sell them to me directly :D Drop me a PM closer to opening)

jrriddle

tomm4004 said:
Agreed. And I think that HKDL is really the start of a new business model. I think I read that they expected 5 to 6 million guests per year - at least at the start. Compare this with the 16 million per year that Tokyo MK was getting prior to the opening of TDS. Therefore, if your revenue is 1/3, then your expenses must be 1/3. So using this logic, HKDL can't possibly have as many attractions as TDL - MK has.

Also, the capacity of HKDL doesn't seem enough to handle much more than 5 or 6 million. Imagine a typical Disneyland crowd trying to fit on 10 attractions - most of which are very low capacity. The park would overflow.

I guess the question is: will the demand be enough that expansion is necessary? And if the park fails, will it be because of an anemic attraction roster and poor word-of-mouth, or simply due to a failed business model and miscalculation of the market? Hopefully, they will be able to tell and will plan accordingly.

I'm just not convinced that the park will expand dramatically regardless of its success or failure as you have stated. Either way, I think we'll see a very slow build and patchwork solutions.

Overall, I think it's Eisner's plan to build essentially mini-MKs and plant them in markets around the world. Even in the annual report he said he had no plans to drop an MK on every street corner - which leads me to believe he does have something along those lines in mind. Disney is all about volume now!

While I have no desire to see an MK in every country (no not even here in Canada). I do think future expansion into India and possibly Korea could be wise moves in the future.
China & India will be major economic forces in the next 10 years, getting in there sooner than later does make sense.
Korea? I've heard this rumor a lot more lately. I could see this happening after China is running smoothly and India gets at least to a planning stage.
I think a lot will depend on how Hong Kong performs.

NeXuS1000

tomm --> Yes, it's a project 5 million the first year and then doubled to 10 million by 2010.

And I sincerely doubt that Disney want to add a MK to every corner. There's A LOT of money to be spent of infastructure and so forth when doing a whole new resort, and with transportation becoming easier, faster and cheaper, there's no need to have MK's everywhere. A much cheaper and profitable solution is building bigger resorts, where visitors will stay for a longer and automatically spend more money. Do remember that if they build a lot of small MK's they would loose hotel profits etc.

7L-WDW

There's a lot riding on HKD success, certanly in the first years , HK has the populus / Visitor wealth to give the park good start so long as it has come back appeal which has now been realized a little to late and evident from a fly over Pennybay, Altho limited by hills on 2 sides and the sea on the third theres room for another hotel if needed. Lantau Island is Qiet big with the Airport close by (This will be evident from the park as the jets reach for the sky from over the hill ) and Discovery Bay is just around the corner .
After Tokyo, Hong kong Is another foot step along a steady path set for Aisa once a foot hold has taken in China's southen tip.

Photo's !!! tut tut tut ... ( There are so many cameras on site its a wonder any one will still want to come to look )

Ebay/Pm's !!! Place your order Now .. don't wait and be disoppointed .. lol only joking .:goodnevil

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
7L-WDW said:
Altho limited by hills on 2 sides and the sea on the third theres room for another hotel if needed.

The phase 2 plan (outside of expanding the first park) is already plotted on the masterplan - landfill opposite the first parks entrance.

cherrynegra

marni1971 said:
The phase 2 plan (outside of expanding the first park) is already plotted on the masterplan - landfill opposite the first parks entrance.

But will the expansion be an extension of HKDL or will it be a completely diferrent park? Like Tokyo Disney Sea or, HEAVEN FORBID, DCA?

jrriddle

cherrynegra said:
But will the expansion be an extension of HKDL or will it be a completely diferrent park? Like Tokyo Disney Sea or, HEAVEN FORBID, DCA?

That would be DHKA! Get it straight!
I've seen the same stuff you have and all it ever says is "Phase 2", but judging by the proximity to the main park, I would say a second park and probably a hotel and a Downtown Disney. Or a water park, a hotel and a DTD.
As far as a theme for a new park. I'll say it again. My gut goes with a Disney Studios. We all know it so we might as well accept it.

cherrynegra

jrriddle said:
That would be DHKA! Get it straight!
I've seen the same stuff you have and all it ever says is "Phase 2", but judging by the proximity to the main park, I would say a second park and probably a hotel and a Downtown Disney. Or a water park, a hotel and a DTD.
As far as a theme for a new park. I'll say it again. My gut goes with a Disney Studios. We all know it so we might as well accept it.

No!!!!!!! Not another Disney Studios. Sigh. If it's meant to be, one might as well accept it. :rolleyes:

7L-WDW

Well if you have seen the draft plans then you will have seen there isn’t that much space other than expansion. Land fill at an already land filed site may be but at an operating park!! With access through the main drag and parking?? <O:p</O:p

jrriddle

Well were just talking about what we've seen on the maps.
They have Phase 2 marked on top of the water. So I would presume more land reclaimation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom