HK Disneyland website update

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Its as bad as DCA or WDSP.....

It official. TWDC have lost the plot.

I realise they didn`t stump up the majority of the funding but it has their name on it.

gardabble - are you close to the park? You may be our official photographer when it opens!

jrriddle

Knowing full well that I'm going to get booed off the boards.
I still think that if this park is themed 1/2 as well as the concept art would lead us to believe this is going to be a great little park after the Phase 2 attractions are added.
And (IMHO) the Disneyland Hotel looks great!

imagineer boy

As I've been saying, even though there are only a couple of attractions ( all clones except for the "One of a Kind attraction" known as the Fantasey Character greeting gardens :rolleyes: ) we should look on the bright side, at least it will have good themeing and it won't be ugly like WDS.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It does have great theming, but you can afford this when the park is tiny.

Once guests have looked at the trees and storefronts there are going to be a LOT of unhappy people - especially with the promise of a Magic Kingdom park as seen elsewhere.

I wouldn`t call WDSP ugly - just basic.

jrriddle

I guess if they are going to budget only so much money for a new park, I think I would rather they spend it on good themeing than a bunch of attractions and end up with Paradise Pier or well what ever DSP has for attractions.
I agree that the park will be disapointing at first due to the number of attractions, but at least they can add rides in the future. If a park is ugly with a bad layout there's not a lot you can do about it.
Again that's just my opinion, it could be wrong.
Besides I live in Canada. I would kill to have even a HKDL here.
It will never happen of course, but it would better than the Paramount Park we have now and that has a lot of rides (coasters).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I`m not too sure of the scope for expansion of the park - from aerial photos it looks rather on the small side (even outside the berm)

Don`t get me wrong - I really want it to work - but it just looks too... empty. At least in 1971, 82, 89 and 92 the parks had enough for at least a day or two from the start.

jrriddle

marni1971 said:
I`m not too sure of the scope for expansion of the park - from aerial photos it looks rather on the small side (even outside the berm)

Don`t get me wrong - I really want it to work - but it just looks too... empty. At least in 1971, 82, 89 and 92 the parks had enough for at least a day or two from the start.

Don't get me wrong I agree with you. I remember having this discussion before on these boards. We couldn't figure out why they wouldn't put the railroad further out for future expansion.
And your right about the older MK's. But this isn't our father's WDC. Thanks to Mikey all that counts is the bottom line.

tomm4004

The attraction list is staggeringly small. One dark ride!

Hong Kong is a small market. I know they are expected to be overwhelmed with visitors from China, but the fact that they've built such an anemic park from an attraction standpoint indicates that they aren't completely confident that will happen.

In Fantasyland you have three spinners, a dark ride and a 3-D movie. In Tomorrowland you have Space, Buzz and another spinner. And in Adventureland you have the Jungle Cruise, Lion King stage show, and the treehouse. And that's it? For the entire park? I hope the Chinese have low expectations. On a slow day you could go through that roster before lunch.

jrriddle

Ya, but what about the gardens? And the great picture opportunities? :rolleyes:
I'm not saying that the park isn't lacking in the attractions department.
I am saying that it LOOKS like a nicely themed little park (from the concept drawings). And that in time when the rumored Phase 2 attractions (Jungle Haunted Mansion, a new & improved PoC, IASW and a "Cars" themed-Autopia) I think this should be a pretty good park. No DLP, but pretty good.

NeXuS1000

I do believe this is the best way forward. Chine is a lucrative market, but after recent park disasters like DCA and DLP, they do need to be careful...

Now one of two things will happen, when the park opens:
- Guests will flock to the park and prove that Disneyland is indeed welcome in China. This will make WDC more confident in their investment and make them launch several expansions to grow the resort area.
- Guests will be disappointed and the attendance will be very low. Since China is too lucrative just to ignore, Disney will have to add new and exciting attractions very quickly to attract guests.

So either way, we should see a growth in the resort area pretty quickly...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
NeXuS1000 said:
I do believe this is the best way forward. Chine is a lucrative market, but after recent park disasters like DCA and DLP, they do need to be careful...

Wern`t DCA and WDSP slated due to their lack of attractions??

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
hmm... admission prices aren't too bad. HK$350 on peak days, which is less than US$50... maybe next decade

NeXuS1000

marni1971 said:
Wern`t DCA and WDSP slated due to their lack of attractions??

Now I specifically mentioned DLP, because that revealed WDC's worst case scenario: a full park with plenty of attractions and it still went bad from day one.

Now DCA would I say have an adequate amount of attractions, I seriously fail to believe that's the reason of its poor attendance.

And for WDSP, well, I won't touch that one...

But the setting is now different. Both DCA and WDSP were number-two parks. DLP was a magic kingdom. Therefore the strategy this time is: take it easy and slowly. People do like Disney and would like to visit a Disney park, and if you take it slowly and add attractions in the run, you'll see less red numbers...

Now of course I would rather have a much bigger park. But under these conditions I would much better prefer this type of park instead of a huge investment that end up as a failure and downgrades the importance and recognition of WDI from a viewpoint of the shareholders...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
NeXuS1000 said:
Now of course I would rather have a much bigger park. But under these conditions I would much better prefer this type of park instead of a huge investment that end up as a failure and downgrades the importance and recognition of WDI from a viewpoint of the shareholders...

Good comment!

tomm4004

The problem with MK Paris was not attendance or quality; it was overspending on hotels, the debt, and a miscalculation in local spending habits. The problem with Paris Studios is a major lack of quality and attractions.

>Since China is too lucrative just to ignore, Disney will have to add new and exciting attractions very quickly to attract guests.

Possibly. But if the park tanks, they may say that they can't afford to build new attractions. Where is the money going to come from if not from profits? Disney won't want to throw money at it and I doubt the HK government will either. If they had planned to build a great park they would have done so from the start - like the OLC did with TDS. If the park tanks, they will dangle new attractions just enough to stave off criticism and make it sound like they are doing something. When a woman called in to Larry King to complain to Eisner that there was nothing for her kids to do at DCA, he replied, "Have they been to A Bug's Land." That was his solution!

Everytime Disney opens an anemic park, people say that in Phase 2 or whatever the park will expand rapidly and be a great park, but I've yet to see that happen. AK is seven years old and has basically had nothing new other than the mini-Dino park. It is getting an E-ticket but it will have taken eight years! Eisner walked around the park and begrudingly admitted that it needed more. What is new at the Paris Studios. Everything they do is a knee-jerk reaction. Nothing seems planned. This is the new-Disney philosophy. Give as little as possible; charge as much as possible; and add in bits and pieces to stem the criticism.

gardabble

Original Poster
marni1971 said:
gardabble - are you close to the park? You may be our official photographer when it opens!

Yeah, like a 30-40 minute bus ride from my apartment. hmm sounds interesting been the official photographer.

gardabble

Original Poster
Possible attractions is HK

Has anyone been to DisneyWorld to meet some of the HK Disneyland cast members? I suspect where HK Disney cast members are deployed, you can expect to see that attraction in HK Disneyland.

NeXuS1000

Tomm4004 --> The general problem with DLP was too much spending on EVERYTHING. That mistake they won't repeat in China.

But you miss out one very important factor. As I also tried to point out in the previous post, neither DCA, WDSP nor AK is Magic Kingdoms aka. the first park...

HKDL will be the first new MK park since the 1992 catastrophe, so Disney really have no other choice than to move slowly forward. But a MK park is so much different from all the others - Disney know they cannot fail in concept. So if the people of China don't embrace it, they know they need to put in more rides to milk the cow. Especially since it's not a second park in the area, it's important because it will build the foundation for the entire resort future.

tomm4004

NeXuS1000 said:
Tomm4004 --> The general problem with DLP was too much spending on EVERYTHING. That mistake they won't repeat in China.
Is this a quote from me or a paraphrase? I never wrote this.
NeXuS1000 said:
But you miss out one very important factor. As I also tried to point out in the previous post, neither DCA, WDSP nor AK is Magic Kingdoms aka. the first park...
I think it's worse - exactly because it isn't the second park. Those other parks became part of a larger resort and were backed up by existing MKs. For example, when I visited WDSP, the one-day ticket allowed you to visit MK after 5pm for three hours. On a multi-day ticket at WDW, you can bail from AK and go elsewhere. But HKDL is a stand-a-lone entity. It has no backup. So if you're bored after a couple hours you have nowhere to go! So starting slow is not the way to go, I believe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom