HK Disney - are there fewer rides than at the other parks?

phkc070408

Original Poster
I was just looking at a PDF map of HK Disney and I noticed there are several rides missing from this park that are available in all of the others, mainly:

It's a Small World
Splash Mountain
Thunder Mountain.

Am I correct that these do not exist in this park?

phkc070408

Original Poster
Never mind - I see there was an expansion around 2011 adding attractions outside of the railroad line. I was looking at an old PDF.

Does anyone have an up to date PDF park map they could upload? The only park maps I see online are the interactive map on the official site, and the old pre-2011 one as a PDF.

ThemeParkTraveller

http://inspiredbydis.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/hong-kong-disneyland-map-1.jpg
http://inspiredbydis.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/hong-kong-disneyland-map-2.jpg

Hong Kong Disneyland does have less attractions than the other parks, but that's only because it's the newest. The recent additions are all of very high quality and unique (except for Toy Story Land). Mystic Manor and Big Grizzly Mountain are the modern substitutes for the Haunted Mansions and Big Thunder Mountains you find at the other Magic Kingdom parks.

It's true it does not have E-tickets like Splash Mountain or Pirates of the Caribbean though. It is also lacking in the classic Fantasyland dark rides like Peter Pan, Snow White, etc.

phkc070408

Original Poster
While Splash Mountain wasn't really my thing, I will miss pirates of the Caribbean. I'm glad to see though that Small World and the Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway were added. The absence of them may have been a deal breaker.

Whether in the long term plans or not, I wonder if they will ever add these in the future.

Iwerks64

@phkc070408 , are you planning a trip to HKDL? I've been many times when I have been in Hong Kong for business and had a spare day. If you've been in factories in mainland China for a few weeks, HKDL is a great breath of western culture. It is a smaller park, but nowhere near as crowded as WDW and quaint in many ways. For attractions (rides) Adventureland really only has two (unless you count the raft over to the treehouse) - the Jungle River Cruise and Tarzan's treehouse. JRC is great and has some unique features. Fantasyland really only has one dark ride - Winnie the Pooh. There is also Dumbo, Mickey's Philharmagic, the carousel and the teacups. It's a Small World was just opened a few years ago, but it's off to the back and seems a bit displaced from fantasyland. Tomorrowland has Space Mountain, Buzz and Astro Orbitors. The Autopia is great with electric cars (no fumes) a long track and lots to see. A new Iron Man simulator ride is currently under construction. The Stitch Encounter is similar to Turtle Talk with Crush at Epcot.

The real crown jewel rides are Mystic Manor at Mystic Point and Grizzly River Run at Grizzly Gulch. Fantastic rides on par with the best that Disney can do. Toy Story Land doesn't do much for me. RC Racer is okay, but the ridesd are basically reskinned off-the-shelf carnival rides.

If you go, have fun!

phkc070408

Original Poster
I am looking forward to the Mine Cars and Mystic Manor. The fact that it's something different interests me.

Is the Jungle Cruise narrated in English or Chinese? That ride was tough to get the full benefit from while we were in Tokyo since we couldn't understand the guide.

Also, is Grizzly River Run the mine cars? I thought the River Run was a raft ride in California Adventure.

Iwerks64

On the jungle cruise, there are three different lines you can get into depending upon what language you want the narration to be in - Cantonese, Mandarin or English. Sometimes the English narration can be a bit weak ("oh look, there's a scary spider", "look at the baby elephant"), it's hit or miss. Usually miss.

And sorry, the official name of the Grizzly Gultch attraction is "Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars", I was typing fast. Grizzly River Run is indeed the raft ride at DCA. Both areas have a great rockwork bear head though. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom