1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Hilton Head Island Recommendations

Discussion in 'Disney Vacation Club' started by nicole3874, Jan 16, 2017.

1. nicole3874

nicole3874 Member

We just booked our summer vacation trip to DVC Hilton Head Island Resort for August. We haven't been there in about 5 years. We loved it the first time! Our kids are older now 12, 10, and 7 and we are looking for recommendations for activities and dining. Any info will help. Thanks in advance.

2. Yanks07

Yanks07 Well-Known Member

We were just there Christmas week, rent bikes for sure, we did and loved it, rode to the beach house and walked the beach every day. Old Oyster Factory is still my Fav, went to Cranes tavern and had Prime steak was awesome, we finally toured the Harbour town light house for 1st time in 4 trips, I loved it, lots of history if that's your thing. Have fun, staff there is great, parking blows

3. YorkshireT

YorkshireT New Member

The younger ones will like the fireworks and show down by the lighthouse.
    I am from UK and loved HHI when we went (stayed Parmetto Dunes I think it was called opposite Disney). We are just buying Dvc and I was wondering what 7 month availability for a 1 bed for back end of August is like? I'll go back if I can stay at Disney.

4. LuvtheGoof

LuvtheGoof Proud DVC Member Premium Member

Well, there is good availability starting August 22nd, but we aren't quite into the 7 month window yet. August is already pretty booked until then. We'll have to check back in a week to see if there is still something available.

YorkshireT likes this.
  5. YorkshireT

YorkshireT New Member

Thanks for checking, I haven't got my membership number yet so cannot check myself. It would be good to know if the availability is there from 22 August 7 months out. Could you do me a favour and look at Vero Beach from mid August 1 bed, is it possible to string 4 nights together starting say, 20 or 21 August in a 1 bed? I really fancy going there as well.
    Cheers.

6. LuvtheGoof

LuvtheGoof Proud DVC Member Premium Member

August at VB is completely open for booking. You should have no issues at 7 months there.

YorkshireT likes this.
  7. YorkshireT

YorkshireT New Member

Brilliant thanks for checking.
    10 mins ago I just learnt I passed ROFR. I am so excited, I got a great loaded contract.

8. Parrothead4life

Parrothead4life Member

Perfect ages for your kids. They will all enjoy the campfire sing along and the many pool activities they do at the resort and beach pool. Also ask if they still do this at the beach, but while I was they they had a morning where you and your family could go over to the beach and make Sand Sculptures of sea animals and they provide all the shovels and things like that. It was a lot of fun.

9. Simba's Mom

Simba's Mom Well-Known Member

We go to DHHIR every November for about 10 days. No kids, though, so not sure of recommendations. Our favorites for restaurants are Poseidon, Skull Creek Boathouse, Black Marlin, Sea Shack and Kenny B's (both super casual), British Open Pub, and Signe's.
    Also, ask Gordon in the Mercantile for restaurant recommendations-he used to be a chef, and is quite knowledgable. Also, Gordon just started a wine-tasting offering and it's really good. Actually, any activity he's involved in is good.

Parrothead4life likes this.
  10. Parrothead4life

Parrothead4life Member

You are so correct, Gordon knows his stuff when it comes to restaurants in the area as well as other things related to food. We haven't visited Hilton Head for sometime now so it is great to know he is back to doing some of his food or wine tasting activities again.

11. nicole3874

nicole3874 Member Original Poster

Thank you all so much for the recommendations. It has been a few years since we last went to HHI and we are so looking forward to a slower pace vacation. Keep the recommendations coming.

12. MySmallWorldof4

MySmallWorldof4 Well-Known Member

We have been going every year around Labor Day for the cheaper rates for the last 4 years. Going again the last week in August through Labor DAy. We LOVE it!! The kids have fun doing the arts and crafts activities at the resort. The campfire is lots of fun and the CM's are awesome! Our favorite restaurant is A Lowcountry Backyard. We also have lots of fun playing mini golf at Pirate's Island Adventure Golf.

13. wdwmagic

wdwmagic Administrator Moderator

Here are some photo galleries from 2016

http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/disneys-hilton-head-island-resort/gallery.htm