High School Student interested in being a Disney Travel Agent

Ashley Norman

Hi, I'm new to all of these forums for Disney. I'm not even sure if this is the right place to post this but I thought that I would give it a shot.

I am a junior in high school and have an interest in pursuing the job of being a Disney Travel Agent. I know I can't get a specialized Disney tourism education in college, but I could study toward being a travel agent and then go through the Disney College of Knowledge to become certified by Disney (is this how this works? I'm still not sure). Is this something that could be attainable for me to do for a living, or should I find something else to study and then maybe later in life try to become a Disney Travel Agent?

My family and I are a part of DVC and have been to Disney World over 10 times in my 17 years. We have also taken 4 Disney Cruises and are about to go to Disneyland in March for the first time. I feel like I have a great knowledge of Disney, and would be happy to learn even more and spend my days helping to plan others vacations and help them. I really like handling logistics of things and feel like this may be a great career for me to go into.

Is there anybody who could give me advice on this or any tips on what to do for college? I know there is Disney University but I haven't been able to find anything related to travel agent that I could do there. Thank you in advance for your help!

Disney Stine

Don't quote me on this because I am not a Disney travel agent or even know anyone that is. My guess would be that it is really hard to live off of that career alone. Disney (and the internet) make it increasingly easier to book hotel, airfare, transportation, and dining reservations that travel agents may not be needed. Travel agents, I find, are best used for people who do not have enough time to plan and look for the best deals (or people who want constant updates on the best deals), but I don't think this will still be a lucrative clientele.
I think it would be a great side job when you have a steady income coming from another career in the future!
In the meantime, I'd look into the Disney College Program to work in Disney World - but I don't think they have travel agent positions.
If you want to work full time in Disney World I think the hotel and restaurant management major would be fantastic to get the most knowledge in these areas and then to manage a hotel or restaurant on Disney property.

Upvote 0

yensid67

GREAT ADVICE Disney Stine! Being an Authorized Disney Vacation Planner is nothing more than working at an established Travel Agency and specializing in Disney travel. I would echo the advice of Disney Stine and pursue Restaurant/Hotel Management...check out Rosen College of Hospitality In Orlando. They seem to be a good choice for schooling. But before you decide on a school and a major, I would go through the College Program and get your feet wet and see what its like to work there...I can tell you from personal experience that is an awesome experience that will be the highlight of your life and be a constant memory of Happiness! You will also need to find out what requirements Disney looks at for Restaurant/Hotel management and maybe look ay a Business side of Disney(Accounting, etc) There is no real money working in the parks, but if an entertainer that's where more money is!
I have helped 5 people(friends) plan their trips to Disney World. I didn't get paid for it, but I enjoyed doing the research for them!

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

Don't quote me on this because I am not a Disney travel agent or even know anyone that is. My guess would be that it is really hard to live off of that career alone. Disney (and the internet) make it increasingly easier to book a hotel, airfare, transportation, and dining reservations that travel agents may not be needed. Travel agents, I find, are best used for people who do not have enough time to plan and look for the best deals (or people who want constant updates on the best deals), but I don't think this will still be a lucrative clientele.
The internet killing the travel agent is greatly exaggerated.

The use of travel agents is on the rise and has been over the last few years. Here is one article, there are many others. http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/advice/2016/11/18/travel-agents/94028838/

It takes a few years to build your repeat and referral clientele to the point where you can make a living off of being a travel agent, but it can be done.

Be sure to study sales techniques, and don't let anyone tell you that you must give away your commission to attract new clients. If you are good enough, many will pay your fees to book their travel for them.

Upvote 0

Disney Stine

The internet killing the travel agent is greatly exaggerated.

The use of travel agents is on the rise and has been over the last few years. Here is one article, there are many others. http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/advice/2016/11/18/travel-agents/94028838/

It takes a few years to build your repeat and referral clientele to the point where you can make a living off of being a travel agent, but it can be done.

Be sure to study sales techniques, and don't let anyone tell you that you must give away your commission to attract new clients. If you are good enough, many will pay your fees to book their travel for them.

Ahh you quoted me! :hilarious: Joking aside, thank you for the article. It's refreshing to see that the travel agency business may still be intact after all. I understand the appeal to use an agency, but personal experience and common trends would appear to point the other direction, so it is interesting to see otherwise.

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
A great resource for training to become a travel professional is www.thetravelinstitute.com Also keep in mind that the Authorized Disney Vacation planner designation goes to the agency, not the agent. Most agents are considered independent contractors and their pay is commission based. Also keep in mind that a good agent works as your advocate if God Forbid something goes wrong..good luck trying to get someone from Expedia, priceline,etc to help you since you will get a different individual every time you contact them and with an agency you will work with the same person. (At least at my agency you do).
I agree with Joe, giving away your commission to draw in clients is not good.

Pam

Upvote 0

TXDisney

A great resource for training to become a travel professional is www.thetravelinstitute.com Also keep in mind that the Authorized Disney Vacation planner designation goes to the agency, not the agent. Most agents are considered independent contractors and their pay is commission based. Also keep in mind that a good agent works as your advocate if God Forbid something goes wrong..good luck trying to get someone from Expedia, priceline,etc to help you since you will get a different individual every time you contact them and with an agency you will work with the same person. (At least at my agency you do).
I agree with Joe, giving away your commission to draw in clients is not good.

Pam
Looking to be a Disney travel agent on the side and looking into different ways to get licensed. Is Ashworth a reputable online place to go to? What are your recommendations bc I love the work your agency does at Kingdom Konsultant.

Upvote 0

HoneyBee1991

Howdy! I was a travel agent and just switched jobs a month ago.

You can go to school to become a travel agent or you can just start applying for a travel agency job right out of high school. I was trained on the job with no previous experience.

I had to take a few online courses with Disney to be certified to sell Disney and worked for an authorized agency.

If you are looking to make this your full time career here is my advice:

*You will want to sell more than just Disney. In order to make enough money for a living selling all travel options and specializing as a Disney expert is your best bet.

*It takes 2-5 years working as an agent to build up a large enough clientele to make a "liveable" average of $15/hour.

*You won't get paid by the vendors you book for, including Disney, until after your clients have returned from their trip. Some agencies will pay you your commission percentage after the client makes final payment but this is rare.

*Your commission on any booking with any vendor, including Disney, will average about 10% of the booking. Meaning if you sell a $2k trip, you will be lucky to get a $200 commission on that sale. If you are working for an agency, you will be lucky to earn 40% of your commission. Meaning for a $2k sale your "take home" pay BEFORE taxes is $80.

If you really want to be a travel agent I would suggest calling every agency around you. Ask if you can job shadow with them. Show them your enthusiasm, how hard you work, and make it clear that's what you want to do. They may give you an internship or even hire you after you graduate. It just takes one person giving you a shot to get your foot in the door.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

Howdy! I was a travel agent and just switched jobs a month ago.

You can go to school to become a travel agent or you can just start applying for a travel agency job right out of high school. I was trained on the job with no previous experience.

I had to take a few online courses with Disney to be certified to sell Disney and worked for an authorized agency.

If you are looking to make this your full time career here is my advice:

*You will want to sell more than just Disney. In order to make enough money for a living selling all travel options and specializing as a Disney expert is your best bet.

*It takes 2-5 years working as an agent to build up a large enough clientele to make a "liveable" average of $15/hour.

*You won't get paid by the vendors you book for, including Disney, until after your clients have returned from their trip. Some agencies will pay you your commission percentage after the client makes final payment but this is rare.

*Your commission on any booking with any vendor, including Disney, will average about 10% of the booking. Meaning if you sell a $2k trip, you will be lucky to get a $200 commission on that sale. If you are working for an agency, you will be lucky to earn 40% of your commission. Meaning for a $2k sale your "take home" pay BEFORE taxes is $80.

If you really want to be a travel agent I would suggest calling every agency around you. Ask if you can job shadow with them. Show them your enthusiasm, how hard you work, and make it clear that's what you want to do. They may give you an internship or even hire you after you graduate. It just takes one person giving you a shot to get your foot in the door.

Good luck!

I know agencies that pay 75% commission split instead of 40%, you should do research. In other words, pay you $150 of the $200

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HoneyBee1991

I know agencies that pay 75% commission split instead of 40%, do your research.
I have actually worked as a travel agent and know how often you get splits and why they are the way they are. A big split like 75% means you're only using their IATA and name and do all the work and client recruiting yourself.

Please try to be more polite in your responses, especially when your not an expert on the subject.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

I have actually worked as a travel agent and know how often you get splits and why they are the way they are. A big split like 75% means you're only using their IATA and name and do all the work and client recruiting yourself.

Please try to be more polite in your responses, especially when your not an expert on the subject.
I was just trying to show the wide range of payment possibilities with commission splits. There are definitely trade offs and a wide variety of splits.

I've been in the business for 20 years with 13 of them as the owner of my own Disney focused Earmarked Agency.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HoneyBee1991

I was just trying to show the wide range of payment possibilities with commission splits. I've been in the business for 20 years with 13 of them as the owner of my own Disney focused Earmarked Agency.

In that case I take back the not being an expert comment and apologize. But I find it suprising that someone in a customer service industry would not realize that his comment came off very rude and dismissive.

I love Disney and was just trying to be helpful by letting some know about my personal travel agent experience. That I have time for. Being attacked and ganged up on by you and "Pam" is not something I have time for.

So thank you for your input and reminding me why I stay off forums. You won't have to deal with any posts from me from now on.[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

My intent was to tell the OP that other options exist, from your 40% up to 75% and even 100% depending on the arrangement with the agency, and that further research should be done.

I'm sorry if you took offense.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom