Hey old timers! Tell us your early WDW memories.

wdwjmp239

I love the "Hey Old Timers!" headline to this discussion thread.

While I am not an old timer (I just turned 43 years old), I will tell you some of my fondest memories of Disney back in the day.

The first memory I have of Disney is when I was living on Long Island and my parents had tricked me by saying we were going to bring my uncle (my mother's brother) to the airport to send him off to Florida for a job interview. So, when we arrived at Long Island Macarthur airport, my parents took out the plane tickets to give to my uncle, but as they were getting ready to hand him the tickets, my mother showed me who's names were really on the ticket and when that happened I was overcome with joy. I was 11 years old and my parents were in great health back then and we were able to do the rides like 20,000 leagues, the Disney Skyway (or whatever that gondola ride was that went across the Magic Kingdom), Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, and the Tomorrowland Speedway. At Epcot, I remember when Dreamfinder & Figment used to walk around out in front of the Imagination pavilion. Test Track was World of Motion. Mission:SPACE was Horizons. Odyssey was a real working restaurant and not opened to special event participants. The Living Seas with Nemo didn't have Nemo and the place to be was "Seabase Alpha" and there was a slow ride that brought you around the different parts of the aquarium. In the World Showcase, I remember when a double-decker bus that used to go around and you were able to get on and off in front of different countries. Disney MGM Studios (now Hollywood Studios) and Animal Kingdom did not exist back then. I remember when the Contemporary Resort (where we were staying) did not have Bay Lake Tower and the video game arcade was where The Wave is now.

Of course, here I am now, 43 years old (mom's still alive, but my father recently passed away)....I have a wife and two kids (7 year old daughter and 5 year old son) and I'm trying to make the same memories my parents made for me when we went to Disney. The only exception now is that we live 3 hours away and have DVC ownership. But, as long as I can see Disney through my kids' eyes, I'll always remember that time when my parents took me to Disney for the first time. The park grew up in a hurry, but I'm glad to see some of the classics still around (Tomorrowland Speedway, Peter Pan, It's A Small World just to name a few) and I'm excited for the changes that are coming based on the D23 expo releases.

Spike-in-Berlin

First "trip" to the World was in August 1982. The "World" was the Magic Kingdom then, EPCOT was approaching the grand opening but in August you could only visit the construction site. My first trip to the World was also my first trip to the USA and everything was magnificent, awesome and exciting beyond belief through the eyes of a 8 year old German boy who had dreamed of going to Disney World since he had learned reading (and since then read Disney comics like "Micky Maus").
We were on an organized 10 day bus trip through Florida and my "trip" to WDW was exactly ONE day. No stay on property of course, Disney resorts (exactly THREE in 1982: Polynesian Village, Contemporary and the former Disney Inn today Shades of Green) had to be booked up to 2 years! in advance to get a room. Instead we stayed in some motel near Orlando.
It was hot, it was crowded, even for the monorail the wait was about 20-25 minutes and i was a little smaller and shorter than I am today so I didn't see too much in many areas.
Our bus tour guide was Gloria and because we knew absolutely nothing about the MK we did the entire day with her. I still know which attractions we were able to do on that day because the lines were quite long and I was unfamiliar with waiting for a ride/show. First Jungle Cruise, were the wait was 45 minutes in the searing heat (Fast Pass is the greatest invention since the wheel, correct that, since the FIRE). I LOVED the Jungle Cruise instantly, it was slightly less corny then and a little more adventure, believe or not the skippers SHOT with their GUNS at the hippos and elefants! After that I enjoyed the Tiki Room, first listening to the barker bird (gone long ago) and then followed PotC (about 35 min. wait, at least with AC). You could already hear the cannons shooting when you approached the entrance to the ride (gone, instead we hear Hans Zimmer today) and in the Carribean Plaza there were fountains at those days all over the place, it was a place to stay a while and a steel drum band was playing calypso and other music. I enjoyed the atmosphere a lot. All gone today, instead we got another GIFT SHOP. Country Bears, where I was bored beyond belief (sorry folks, for most non-americans this show is plain boring) but the Haunted Mansion saved the day again. Another less than thrilling experience was IASW, it took decades before I entered this ride again in 2007. But then followed "Magic Carpet around the World" (Today Philharmagic) and Mr. Toads Wild Ride and the magic was back and didn't leave until the evening because all the remaining following attractions of the day scored. After the longest wait of 75 minutes (were I supplied my mother with Coke from a nearby refreshment stand, we were stunned by the size of the cups, "small" was 0,5 l, medium 0,8 l and large was 1 l, we kept the cups and took them back to Germany) we boarded 20.000 LutS which was less than I expected because I thought the submarines would actually DIVE! "Trip to Mars" was not exactly thrilling but a nostalgic atmosphere about the ride made it enjoyable and "If You had wings" was an instand hit because I loved the song. I was VERY disppointed that is was not on the WDW/DL vinyl record album my mum bought me in the Emporium. Because I was too young for Space Mountain the CoP was the seal to our day at the MK. We did a little shopping in Main Street USA, the WDW album, place mats, a huge souvenir map poster for my room at home and some other small stuff and then enjoyed the MSEP for the first time in my life. Totally exhausted I fell to sleep on the bus back to our motel and I knew that a lifelong love had just begun.

Goofyernmost

For someone who lost interest awhile aginyou do seem to still be fairly interested.
Not really interested as much as amused. No, I didn't get the joke because I am old, I do not have hearing issues and I do not have sight issues and none of the "old" people I know have either of those, so when I think of "old" I do not think of those problems that were probably a big deal back in the 1800's. Sorry, I cannot relate, so I wasn't able to understand what you were getting at.

However, let's just say that it is probably good that you can laugh at older people, because with a little bit of luck on your part, it's just a matter of time before you become the brunt of that joke. It many not be all that funny at that point. But, I do see now that it was a joke and what was meant by it. Still don't find it overly funny though.

DisAl

Paper A,B,C, D, and E tickets for rides. Use those up and you were done.
Heat.
Walking
Waiting in line.
Only ONE park, the Magic Kingdom.
Heat.
Walking.
Waiting in line.
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
Heat.
Walking.
Waiting in line.
Main Street Electrical Parade.
Heat.
Walking.
Waiting in line.
Kids of the Kingdom (one of the shows in front of the castle).
Heat.
Walking.
Waiting in line.......

The_Girl's_Mom

I am barely and Old Timer, but as a child we would go every year during President's week. We would rent a travel trailer in Fort Wilderness and stay for a week. Back then the only water park they had was River Country, it was awesome. We also waited 3 hours to ride on the Spaceship Earth the year it opened. I went back as an adult when I was 25, and 31. now at 42 we are taking our two girls (4 and 10) for the first time. I can't wait for them to experience Disney.

75disney

Finally had some time to think about my Disney Workd memories...

Characters mobbed by people and strangers in your pictures with you (must say I prefer the orderly lines of today).

Kids of the Kingdom - I so wanted to be one of them when I grew up

The Bicentennial Parade

Mickey Mouse Revue - we were so mad when they moved it to Tokyo

Mickey's Birthday Land and parade - "Happy Birthday! It's Mickey's birthday! Happy, happy birthday to you!

The Sons and Daughters of Liberty Ceremony - in Liberty Square, a fife and drum corps would play and pick children to participate in a ceremony in which they read a bit of the Declaration of Independence. My sister, cousin, and I got picked. I still have my souvenir copy of the Declaration of Indeoendence that they gave us.

Fireworks - I have found all non-Disney displays inferior my whole life

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - really thought I was diving under the water

First ride on BTMRR - still my favorite roller coaster in the world

If You had Wings - inspired me to travel and I still have the words to the song on my head. Also still have my Eastern Airlines wings that they gave kids who flew on their planes.

Mike Fink Keelboats and Davy Crockett canoes

Diamond Horseshow Revue shows - Went back stage once and got to meet the performers.

Penny Arcade - Always an inexpensive good time.

Snow White's Scary Adventure - my older sister hiding her eyes because she was afraid of the witch!

Shopping at stores that sold unique merchandise (not the same in every store) and having the time to shop!
We even made our own perfume at one store in Liberty Square.

The Utilidors - loved seeing the wardrobe department and computer rooms.

The Swan Boats

Ice cream sundaes at the Plaza Restaurant and strawberry shortcake at the Bakery at the end of the day.

The pirate picture area - outside PoC there was a place where you could dress up like a pirate and have your picture taken (for an extra fee). Still have the picture of my sister, brother, and me... My mom included it in my wedding video even.

Last edited:

World_Showcase_Lover007

Not an old timer, but my mother says that I took my first steps at our hotel on a family trip to WDW in late 1984. The point is that she also tells about how there were (seemingly) no off-property hotels near MK and Epcot, as our hotel was 15+ minutes away in Kissimmee and how there was nothing but trees surrounding WDW property. On later trips in the 90's and early 00's, even I can remember orange groves, farms and woodlands that are no longer there.

But I have to say it depends on which highway/ road you take even now. There are still some undeveloped areas to the west of property.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Best memory that will not likely be repeated riding in the front of the monorail with the pilot, followed many years later by my two children being able to ride with us with the pilot of the monorail. It was an awesome experience to watch my very young children experience for the first time, approaching the MK from that vantage point. Priceless.

First time our family went was in 1979. Stayed at the Polynesian Resort. Back then Disney let us swim in the Seven Seas Lagoon (if we only knew there were alligators lurking in the water). Splash Mountain was not built. Magic Kingdom was the only park. River Country was open. It was ok, but not on the same level as Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon. I think if we were to go back in time and vacation in 1979, we'd be bored before the week was out.

Goofyernmost

First time our family went was in 1979. Stayed at the Polynesian Resort. Back then Disney let us swim in the Seven Seas Lagoon (if we only knew there were alligators lurking in the water). Splash Mountain was not built. Magic Kingdom was the only park. River Country was open. It was ok, but not on the same level as Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon. I think if we were to go back in time and vacation in 1979, we'd be bored before the week was out.
I'm sure there was a random Alligator in the area, but, they are not normally inclined to hang out with humans. The more activity on the lagoon the less likely they were to be there. Then the tourist, being generally brilliant, decided it would be really neat to feed them something so they could get a closer look. Then they got more inclined to get a handout. That along with the stuff in the water that made Disney limit the time people spent in the water just left it open to be their world once again. Back when you were there I doubt there was a gator within a mile of you.

75disney

I remember playing in the water at the Polynesian as well in 1978. Poly was the resort we stayed in every time. We never got bored because there was so many activities that the World offered. The difference then as opposed to today is that you actually had the time to do them rather than rushing from one park to another and squeezing in your dining reservations.
One day, I would like to just stay at one of the Deluxe resorts and just do non-park activities... That plan will have to wait though until my kids get older.

Disney4family

One day, I would like to just stay at one of the Deluxe resorts and just do non-park activities... That plan will have to wait though until my kids get older.
My kids would want you as a parent. They're asking for this now. My husband and I love our resort, but just adore park days. I guess the kids do become the parent and the parents become the kids. :p

ChristyKay

When I was around 5 or 6 (can't remember if this happned at DL or WDW) I dressed up like Snow White. I was with my mom somewhere around the park (not in line for a meet and greet) and the real Snow White came up behind me and covered my eyes and said "Guess who!" I got to talk to her for a little bit, and got pictures and an autograph. It was so exciting and special and I'll always remember that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom