Hey old timers! Tell us your early WDW memories.

DVC4bestvacations

Original Poster
My first trip to the world was in 1979 as a 20yo. A friend and I drove down from NJ. I always remember how unmolested the land was back then. As I approach WDW on I4 for the first time each vacation I reminisce.

The ride from route 192 to the MK parking tolls seemed to take forever. There was nothing along this route. Until the monorail track for EPCOT started being built.

When we saw the gold glass office building on I4 we knew we were very close. I beleive this building belonged to WDW. At the time it was one of the only buildings you could see along I4.

We would buy a 2day pass that gave us unlimited use of all rides. It was a paper pass with a spot for two date stamps. There was a string attached to the top so you could tie it to your cloths.
You were lucky if the string was still attached by the end of the first day.

Oh the many hours waiting to ride SM.

On the parking lot tram the were always advertising for thr Disny Village Market Place at Lake Bauna Vista.

The 1st floor of the Contempo had a great arcade.

On my first solo trip when EPCOT first opened I spent most of my time in Future World. Communicore East and West, The World of Motion, Horizons. There was a place where they poled you on current events.

yedliW

We went for a day at MK and a day at EPCOT in 1985 (ish). I was in 5th grade. I didn't get back until my honeymoon in 2012.. The only things I remember are 20k Leagues, the Jungle Cruise, the cool toys in the room after Figment and not riding Space Ship Earth.

Oh yea.. and riding the boat from the parking lot to the front of MK.

fireworkz

Two things I miss when arriving back to WDW - First the sign asking you to tune into WDW Radio with Jack Wagner as you headed down World Drive. Back then there was no big welcome arch - the only way you knew you were on property were when the road signs changed from green to brown. Second thing I miss is the big crack noise the old Mark IVs gave when the doors opened when the platform cast hit those big buttons on the outside next to the pilot's door. Meant it was time to hop in and grab a seat and head for MK.

Another thing I miss, I remember cast members who used to greet you and tell tell you a quick joke as you passed through the Skyway turn point in the Speedway area.

I remember how cool it was seeing Swan and Dolphin being built - those statues - thinking only at WDW could you have two buildings that looked liked that not being exposed to too much modern architecture at the time.

DisneyDaver

I don't consider myself an old timer yet, but some fond memories from childhood trips to WDW in the 80s ...

Ending up with a mouth full of water (and a guppy) going down a slide at River Country ... I was terrified of going into lakes for years thereafter.

Miss the days when the characters roamed freely in Fantasyland. I have a photo of the time I nearly ripped off the arm of one of the 3 little pigs trying to get that perfect photo before he disappeared behind a curtain.

EPCOT Center was awesome in the eyes of a kid then ... very different from today.

The monorails were (or at least in my memories were) clean. Will never forgot the time I rode in the front with the driver.

My brother and I once went on the Eastern Airlines ride in Tomorrowland over and over again when there was no wait. I sometimes still sing "If You Had Wings" in my head. The only scene I remember from the ride is where your vehicle appeared to run over a dog walking across the screen ... not sure why that stuck in my memory.

The Railroad train going past the area where WDW was constructing a new thrill ride ... soon to be Big Thunder Mountain.

The smell of greasy bacon and french toast at the buffeteria in the Contemporary hotel ... every morning it was breakfast with the characters at that restaurant. I have way too many photos with Chip and Dale from that place.

John park hopper

I guess you can call me an old timer, just glad I lived long enough to be an old timer and not worm food. Made my first trip to WDW in May 1972, had just been discharged from the service after spending a lovely vacation in tropical Vietnam. WDW at that time was just the Magic Kingdom and you could do it all in one day. If I remember there were no crowds like today. The Contemporary Hotel was the main building and the monorail was new and clean. The characters roamed the streets interacting with all the kids. Crystal Palace you could walk in and eat no reservations no character meals. Main street was totally different. The Sky Way gave you and elevated view of the park, double decker buses in the MK along with horse drawn trolleys. Fronter Land had the boats you could ride on along with the paddle boat. Tikke Room had the old program which was great. Strollers were far and few between. CM were constantly sweeping up the park. There was no need for fast pass you bought a book of tickets each ride was graded A-E E being the best. WDW sure has changed or may be the people attending have?

Last edited:

Tk0021

I am not an old timer yet but I remember in 85 when my grandparents took me and my brother. My grandparents where already disney veterans having made several trips by 85 even going to Disneyland a few times. We stayed at the Contemporary and I remember a lot about the trip. The speedway, 20,000 leagues under the sea, the haunted mansion, space mountain, eating at chef mickeys ( I guess it was called that back then) and many others. My grandparents bought me and my brother matching Adidas outfits, mine red my brothers blue. My brother got chocolate ice cream on his 5 minutes later. My grandparents bought me a pirate gun from the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. I think my parent just got ride of it two years ago. Haha.
I even remember my grandfather taking me out in a little boat in the lake.

Also my parents went to WDW for a day the first month it was open. They were visiting my uncle who just moved down to Florida and decided to stop. My mom says half the stuff wasn't open yet when they went to MK.

Last edited:

correcaminos

I've been going my whole life but I don't think I'm old so we're talking early 80s for the first trip. I remember the bus rides around Ft. Wilderness with the colored flags. It was so bad and long on that bus we thought we were lost.

Favorite memory in '82 was going on the monorail to Epcot to see it being built. Journey pavilion had no glass and Spaceship Earth was missing some of the tiling on the outside. Quite cool.

SyracuseDisneyFan

I'm 33, so I don't know if I am old timer or not. I sort of remember only eating donuts art a breakfast buffet. I don't think my Mom and Dad were happy about that.

Goofyernmost

My first trip to the world was in 1979 as a 20yo. A friend and I drove down from NJ. I always remember how unmolested the land was back then. As I approach WDW on I4 for the first time each vacation I reminisce.

We would buy a 2day pass that gave us unlimited use of all rides. It was a paper pass with a spot for two date stamps. There was a string attached to the top so you could tie it to your cloths.
You were lucky if the string was still attached by the end of the first day.

Oh the many hours waiting to ride SM.

On my first solo trip when EPCOT first opened I spent most of my time in Future World. Communicore East and West, The World of Motion, Horizons. There was a place where they poled you on current events.
The pass system didn't happen until 1982 when Epcot opened. Previous to that you bought A thru E tickets as a pack and when you ran out of tickets you just bought more. The pass system was so much better.

Space Mountain was the ride. At rope drop there was a stampede down MSUSA, a sharp right hand turn into Tomorrowland and direct to SM. I always went to the Left, no crowds just good rides.

My first trip was in Feb. 1983, I was 35 years old. Epcot wasn't the thing it eventually became. At that time Horizons wasn't yet completed and even Imagination was about a month or so away from opening. The Seas was just a barren circle of dirt. The lines for what was open were horrendously long, so we left and returned 3 years later to a complete park.
I remember the good ole days, people were skinnier, dressed nicer and children had to walk as soon as they could manage it. It was a brutal time back then before people carried plastic water bottle around with them, no one was carrying large back packs with all their supplies. The giant sodas of today didn't exist nor did free refills. I miss tube tops.

I enjoyed the Skyway, the smell of cigarettes and food as you looked over the tops of builds. There use to be guys running around back then with brooms and dust pans everywhere picking up anything that fell on the ground.
I agree with all except that people were skinnier. That is not how I remember it. Not as many, but, then again there were not as many people there to begin with. Percentage wise probably the same.

KBLovedDisney

I don't think I am technically old, but I have been called old a lot! I remember when Epcot was this fantastic park with Innoventions thriving and WoM and Horizons being the coolest rides ever, not to mention JII.

Epcot was kept up so well and there were no bad smells in the buildings.

MissViv

I guess we DO qualify as "Old Timers" ...

First time I went to WDW was in June of 1973. I was 21 and my husband and I had a 6 month old baby (left back home with Grandmother). We drove and pulled a pop up camper from TN and stayed in Ft. Wilderness. It was WONDERFUL!

They had the tickets A-E. There weren't enough of the E tickets to ride all the E rides so we had to buy extras, can't remember the cost. The free rides I remember were Come Fly with Me (sponsored by Eastern Airlines) and Carousel of Progress (sponsored by GE I believe). Love the original music in COP - "Now is the Time, Now is the Best Time, Now is the Best Time of Your Life"... Of course, not near as crowded as today. The only hotels on property were Contemporary, Poly & Campground.

I remember the characters roaming freely around the park and posing for pictures.

We went several years in a row in the 80's (baby was now in jr. high/high school) and loved the electric light parade with Manaheim Steam Roller music. They only had MK and Epcot at first and then added MGM (now Hollywood Studios). Great Times!!!!

luvinthemajik

I remember the good ole days, people were skinnier, dressed nicer and children had to walk as soon as they could manage it. It was a brutal time back then before people carried plastic water bottle around with them, no one was carrying large back packs with all their supplies. The giant sodas of today didn't exist nor did free refills. I miss tube tops.

I enjoyed the Skyway, the smell of cigarettes and food as you looked over the tops of builds. There use to be guys running around back then with brooms and dust pans everywhere picking up anything that fell on the ground. I also liked the Dr. Seuss street vacuum cleaners, those were great. Not sure if I have seen one in a long time.

Frontier land had boats and a lot going on that isn't there today, still love TSI. The guns at the end of pirates actually shot cork balls using caps. The shooting gallery had air rifles that shot real BB's. That's all been toned down now.

Loved the Swiss Family Tree House as well, since I had seen the movie as a double feature at the drive in not long before my first trip to MK.

Epcot? That was a swamp at the time.

In fact nothing else existed except for MK at the time. Stayed at the camp grounds which was fun but I can't remember much about that except for a sing along at a camp fire.

luvinthemajik

I miss the clean cut look of the CM's who were really knowledgeable and helpful,wearing their costumes with pride, interacting and engaging with you in line as you entered a ride or exited one. There were no EVM's or whatever term is used for those ride on with whomever's driving and pack it full of shopping bags and kids contraptions that take extra time on buses and basically clog up the walking paths everywhere. Loved the Skyway from Tomorrowland to Fantasyland, soaring above the crowd was great. I miss the yummy freshly made, smell it for miles, popcorn. I remember riding up front on the monorail in the cabin with the driver, can't do that now. And yes, I loved and miss the super meticulous cleaning crews in their starched all white uniforms who appeared out of nowhere ready to sweep up that kernel of spilled popcorn or attend to the about to be out of toilet tissue or soap in the restrooms. Ahhh, memories, things change, not always for good not always for bad, but, yes, they sure do change. I'm thrilled to have been there within the first month of opening, having already become a vet. of Disneyland, and I'm blessed to able to go there now, raised 4 Disney lovers, who are rising 5 of their own Disney lovers. I have things to tell them about, pics to show them, and fun threads like this to keep my memories alive.
Thanks for the ride down Memory Lane!! Spread the Pixie Dust wherever you go.

Tom 55

My first trip to Disney world was in 1979 on my Honeymoon. First time on a plane. the adventure of going some place new. This was the wife idea. She always wanted to go to Disney since she was little. Rented car at airport and stayed at a hotel just off Disney property near World drive. At that time Disney was all alone. There were tree, undeveloped areas all around for miles. In 79 there were still paper ticket that you bought a book. Some rides were more tickets some less. We went again in 82 they had just changed to pay the daily admission and you could ride all the rides. I do remember that there were still people using up their paper tickets in 82.. The floats were pulled by horses not battery's.Went on 20000 Leagues, Sky way and all the others that are not there anymore.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom