hey floridians!! help!

welovewdw

Original Poster
ok, so my husband is a golf pro and we love the beach and walt disney world and being able to be outdoors all year so we have decided to move to florida next winter.we figure we should try it while we are young (in our 20s). there are just so many more opportunities for him and me. so here's what we want: someplace with low crime, no more that 45 minutes from a beach, and no more that 2.5:sohappy: hours away from walt disney world. we will probably rent first then buy a condo or small house (no kids). any suggestions on areas to look at? i am trying to do as much research as possible and have started a "moving to florida" journal, so i'm writing it all down! thanks for your help!:wave:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You might have a look at either Ponte Vedra Beach or World golf village in North Florida. Ponte Vedra is quite pricey but by comparison World Golf Village is very affordable. Both are low crime, close to the beach and less than 2 hours from WDW. They will also provide ample employment for a golf pro.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
When it comes to the price of a house you very well might be able to get into world golf village quite cheaply right now. Even during the real estate boom the place just never caught on which was kind of surprising as the place is simply beautiful. Here is a link to some housing info there http://www.worldgolfrealestate.com/

palmage

We love the Ponte Vedra area.
Go twice a year to play Sawgrass (staying at the Marriott).

But I'm biased to the St Pete beach area, a lot of great golf, fantastic beaches, hour and a half to WDW.

Just stay far far away from south Florida.

SeaBreeze

Hehe glad everyone likes my hometown :wave: Ponte Vedran here and it is quite pricey now to live there. You may also want to look into Fruit Cove or a new town called Nocatee, which are further inland but still meets the requirements you have.

welovewdw

Original Poster
thanks everyone! i'm writing all your suggestions down. and thanks mods for moving this, i didn't know where to put it!:eek:

kingslyZISSOU

I recommend Treasure Island (not far from Seminole, and P Park), and Siesta Key. both wonderful wonderful places, not too far from Disney World.

nelsonj3

We just moved to Lakeland. Our new apartment is only about 30-35 minutes from WDW and about 50-60 minutes from the closest Tampa-area beaches.

Crime seems low here, there are SEVERAL Country Clubs (we live on one!), Champions Gate is only about 20 miles from here, and it is a nice, central location between WDW and the Tampa Bay Area. Also, Lakeland is a large enough city that it has basically any store, restaurant, or service you could need on a regular basis.

welovewdw

Original Poster
wow, you guys are giving me a lot of good info! SpongeScott-we have been to that area and loved it! glad to hear it's a nice place to live. putting that area in the "top 3". kinglsey-my best friend got married there!so pretty, seemed pretty laid back. nelson-i am definately getting dh to look up the country clubs around there! thanks!
keep it coming! we can use all the help we can get!lol

palmage

wow, you guys are giving me a lot of good info! SpongeScott-we have been to that area and loved it! glad to hear it's a nice place to live. putting that area in the "top 3". kinglsey-my best friend got married there!so pretty, seemed pretty laid back. nelson-i am definately getting dh to look up the country clubs around there! thanks!
keep it coming! we can use all the help we can get!lol
The entire beach is laid back, tons of great beach bars.
Once you cross the bridge on to the islands it's a whole different world.

ngynnhu

I know a lot of pro golfers live in windermere, which is in Orlando (mainly Tiger Woods). I'm not sure of the prices though. So that's like 30 mins from disney and depends which beach coast u go to it would be either an hour or hour and a half to the beaches.

iKat

Especially if he's a golf pro, I'd say around Clearwater (Palm Harbor, Tarpon Springs - North Pinellas, about 15 minutes north of Clearwater). There's Innisbrook in Palm Harbor, and a bunch of other golf courses. It's about 5 minutes from the beach (depending where you are) and about 2 hours from Disney.
There's almost no crime, and the schools aren't bad. It's a little more to the pricey side (part of the reason hubby and I are moving to Orlando), but definitely a good area.

I'm pretty biased though, since I'm from here.

Hope it helps!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom