Here's a Brilliant Idea

ULPO46

Original Poster
Although it be difficult to release captive animals to the wild. Why don't we release Shamu and her friends to the Open Ocean. I feel like this will be the only way people will come back to SeaWorld because from all the critics of the parks, this is all I've ever seen them write. I love SeaWorld and I appreciate the animals. But come on you can't blame a B movie for the decline of one of the worlds most visited Theme Parks.

ULPO46

Original Poster
Dine with Shamu (but without Shamu ??)
The stadium formally known as Shamu stadium ??

With what would SeaWorld attract visitors if all the marine life is set free ?
It's unrealistic and that's what makes me so angry at the Wall Street Journal and all these media agencies. It's not logical for them to release their animals.

CAPTAIN HOOK

It's unrealistic and that's what makes me so angry at the Wall Street Journal and all these media agencies. It's not logical for them to release their animals.
So in your opening post - are you claiming to have a brilliant idea and release the marine life, or are you blasting the media for suggesting it ?
It just isn't clear (or I'm not reading it right) as in your second post you're now saying its not logical to release them :confused:

ULPO46

Original Poster
So in your opening post - are you claiming to have a brilliant idea and release the marine life, or are you blasting the media for suggesting it ?
It just isn't clear (or I'm not reading it right) as in your second post you're now saying its not logical to release them :confused:
It's meant to those green peace type people that say seaworld must release them but don't realize that doing so would eliminate thousands of jobs and eliminate a fortune 500 company in the process. Because lets be honest a sea themed theme park with only a few rides would get boring without the animal shows.

Crazydisneyfanluke

This thread will go nicely.

My thought, what is fair for one is fair for another.
Sea world have fish, release the fish.
Aquariums have fish, release the fish.
Both will have major impact on the economy. Thousands of people will go unemployed because of "cost cuts". Its not the best idea.

Plus, the ocean is not the natural habitat for those born in a tank.

cheezbat

This thread will go nicely.

My thought, what is fair for one is fair for another.
Sea world have fish, release the fish.
Aquariums have fish, release the fish.
Both will have major impact on the economy. Thousands of people will go unemployed because of "cost cuts". Its not the best idea.

Plus, the ocean is not the natural habitat for those born in a tank.
So true...

So if this happens, why store with marine life? Force Animal Kingdom and Busch Gardens to release all their animals...
And then force all the zoos to release theirs too...
Followed by closing down all pets stores. Set all those animals free too!

And lastly, if you have a pet, set it free...or else be fined for having one!

Some people really don't think through just how severe an impact something like this could have on our world.

ULPO46

Original Poster
Exactly. I just still don't see how the B-List film Blackfish hurt the attendance at SeaWorld. Lets admit it how many tourist give a s*** about animals in captivity. I studied attendance for my Hospitality major and when you tend to look at seaworld I just feel there wasn't enough to do. Not enough big rides to compete with the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and New Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom. That's the reason why attendance numbers went down. At least some positive growth took place during the last fiscal year for SeaWorld.

Bairstow

...nor is it ethical to keep breeding more of them, so Sea World and the rest of the... world are a bit of an impasse.

Crazydisneyfanluke

Exactly. I just still don't see how the B-List film Blackfish hurt the attendance at SeaWorld. Lets admit it how many tourist give a s*** about animals in captivity. I studied attendance for my Hospitality major and when you tend to look at seaworld I just feel there wasn't enough to do. Not enough big rides to compete with the Wizarding World of Harry Potter and New Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom. That's the reason why attendance numbers went down. At least some positive growth took place during the last fiscal year for SeaWorld.
Sea world has been ADDING attractions every two-three years(ish). The same rate as Bush gardens. Which is faster than Disney.

It can take me more than a day, when i visit SW, to do EVERYTHING.

BuddyThomas

It is not possible to release orcas that have been held in captivity their entire lives into the "open ocean". They would die. There have been suggestions of creating whale sanctuaries where they are in the ocean, but still contained in large areas. I don't know if this is even possible but either way, I'm not holding my breath for change. SEA's solution for declining box office is to build a new coaster.

matt78

It is not possible to release orcas that have been held in captivity their entire lives into the "open ocean". They would die. There have been suggestions of creating whale sanctuaries where they are in the ocean, but still contained in large areas. I don't know if this is even possible but either way, I'm not holding my breath for change. SEA's solution for declining box office is to build a new coaster.

Right now this is probably the right decision for them to make. Put more emphasis on the rides and less on the animals. I think the main reason for declining attendance is Universals expansion. It used to be you could do both Universal parks in 1 or 2 days. Now people are taking 2 or 3 and cutting SeaWorld out.

lazyboy97o

Who would have the experience necessary to administer such facilities? SeaWorld, the very people being deamonized by those advocating such facilities.

JordanNite

The day of getting animals to do tricks is over i'm afraid, especially big animals or large marine life.

People today just aren't receptive seeing elephants balance a ball on their trunk, or have a lion jump through hoops, or have a whale do some splashes. Sure they can be entertaining, but ultimately they lead to a bad after taste for most people.

Sea world needs to open up about their conservation programme, offer more education of the marine fish they have - at Shammu for whales i saw next to no education other than pleas they themselves were really good people - honest.

Secondly, they need to stop building cheap woeful coasters that by in large only appeal to a certain thrill maker - when the actual $$$ is in family themed attractions.

I wonder whose idea it was to believe coasters and marine life is the way forward?

Animal Kingdom covers itself because it gives the illusion through it's safari park that the animals are free to wonder around on their own in large spaces. This is true to an extent, but we also know at night they are taken back to cages. But the offer of space, and allowing animals to roam is a good deal for the consumer and they are willing to over look anything else.

Donald Razorduck

The day of getting animals to do tricks is over i'm afraid, especially big animals or large marine life.

People today just aren't receptive seeing elephants balance a ball on their trunk, or have a lion jump through hoops, or have a whale do some splashes. Sure they can be entertaining, but ultimately they lead to a bad after taste for most people.

Sea world needs to open up about their conservation programme, offer more education of the marine fish they have - at Shammu for whales i saw next to no education other than pleas they themselves were really good people - honest.

Secondly, they need to stop building cheap woeful coasters that by in large only appeal to a certain thrill maker - when the actual $$$ is in family themed attractions.

I wonder whose idea it was to believe coasters and marine life is the way forward?

Animal Kingdom covers itself because it gives the illusion through it's safari park that the animals are free to wonder around on their own in large spaces. This is true to an extent, but we also know at night they are taken back to cages. But the offer of space, and allowing animals to roam is a good deal for the consumer and they are willing to over look anything else.
goodgrief.gif

Jon81uk

SeaWorld are building larger enclosures for the whales, but starting with San Diago, Orlando will get new bigger tanks in 5-10 years. For now a coaster will be a bigger draw than animals.

JordanNite

SeaWorld are building larger enclosures for the whales, but starting with San Diago, Orlando will get new bigger tanks in 5-10 years. For now a coaster will be a bigger draw than animals.

I'm sorry but no tank is going to be big enough to appease anyone that a whale should be in a tank, unless it's the actual size of Sea World itself.

If they wait 10 years to do anything about the concerns of the animal welfare lobby and peoples perception then i'm afraid the park will fail, and continue a downward spiral.

It's debatable how big of a draw a coaster is.

Jon81uk

I wasn't going to SeaWorld next week as nothing new really since last trip, now they are building a new coaster, I booked tickets :)

The bigger tanks won't appease everyone, but the whales can't go back to the wild either so it is the best SeaWorld can do without spending more money than they have. I think it is less than 10 years, but I don't remember.

lazyboy97o

I'm sorry but no tank is going to be big enough to appease anyone that a whale should be in a tank, unless it's the actual size of Sea World itself.

If they wait 10 years to do anything about the concerns of the animal welfare lobby and peoples perception then i'm afraid the park will fail, and continue a downward spiral.

Their last coaster did a very good job of increasing visitation. Maybe you should consider more research and study before just constantly making silly statements?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom