Here we go again...

tigsmom

Don't know if you guys know or not, but a relief fund has been set up & all proceeds will be donated in WDW Magic's membership name via the Red Cross. We have collected $900 in a very short time. It will run until Sept. 17th. Just follow the link in my sig.

Every little bit counts!

Woody I'm sending you ((HUGS)) and prayers as well.
Take care of you too! :kiss:

Kadee

Woody.....How did you get over to MS? Last I heard, I-10 and Hwy 90 are both closed. Please let me know of an alternet route. We still have not heard from my husband's brother in Gautier.

Also, I would like to stress the enormity of the gasoline problem. I live in Bay Minette and every gas station ran out of gas yesterday. We were scheduled to go back to school today, but it was cancelled until further notice because of the gas shortage. The busses can't run, and teachers would have a hard time getting to work because there is no where to buy gas. I have to drive 50 miles ONE WAY to work. I have only went to the local Wal-Mart since last Friday (2 miles away) for fear of running out of gas and not being able to get more. There was one place about 20 miles away that got a gas delivery at 3am. It is now gone and it is 9am. The lines for the stations that get gas are miles long, people are getting into fights over it......tempers are flaring everywhere. There are people who came here from MS/LA and have no way to get home (if they have a home) because they can not find gas. It is awful here. The grocery stores have plenty of regular food, but no water or bread. Things are getting really bad. I know that the people stranded in New Orleans area and the MS Gulf coast have it much worse.

prberk

WDWScottieBoy said:
Woody, I can tell already...there is a special place in Heaven for you. You have showed nothing but love and care through this whole thing. By having all the people at your house, leaving supplies to those in MS, just everything, you truly are a gift!

Please keep us updated, and I hope we get the good news on your friend that you haven't heard from.

As far as your friend's houses, like Mad has said....those can be replaced, it's the friends and family that cannot.

Woody, I agree that you are doing a great job for your friends. My heart goes out to them, and to you. Keep up the good work, and may God bless you during this dark time.

Let me know if I can personally help in any meaningful way beyond prayer and general support for the relief efforts.

Paul

pinkrose

Kadee said:
Woody.....How did you get over to MS? Last I heard, I-10 and Hwy 90 are both closed. Please let me know of an alternet route. We still have not heard from my husband's brother in Gautier.

Also, I would like to stress the enormity of the gasoline problem. I live in Bay Minette and every gas station ran out of gas yesterday. We were scheduled to go back to school today, but it was cancelled until further notice because of the gas shortage. The busses can't run, and teachers would have a hard time getting to work because there is no where to buy gas. I have to drive 50 miles ONE WAY to work. I have only went to the local Wal-Mart since last Friday (2 miles away) for fear of running out of gas and not being able to get more. There was one place about 20 miles away that got a gas delivery at 3am. It is now gone and it is 9am. The lines for the stations that get gas are miles long, people are getting into fights over it......tempers are flaring everywhere. There are people who came here from MS/LA and have no way to get home (if they have a home) because they can not find gas. It is awful here. The grocery stores have plenty of regular food, but no water or bread. Things are getting really bad. I know that the people stranded in New Orleans area and the MS Gulf coast have it much worse.

Hey Kadee! :wave: It's the same way here (only not quiet as bad). Places are running out, and there are really long lines at the places that do have it. My husband said they were getting a lot of calls with people getting into fights last night over gas. I went to Wal-mart yesterday and the "supplies" were running short. They were out of bottled water, almost out of cereal bars, granla bars, ect. There were so many people in there getting coolers and stuff.

pinkrose

Kadee said:
Yes, what roads did you take? My former neighbor lives in Biloxi (his home is/was on the beach). He's up here and said that he can't get back because the roads are closed or gone. He really wants to get down there.

Woody13

Kadee said:
We had help from several National Guard units in Alabama and Mississippi. We were able to go on routes that were officially closed including both I-10 and Hwy. 90. Due to the severe gasoline shortage we are not planning to make any more trips until the supplies increase sometime after the Labor Day weekend.

stranger

Woody, your friends are lucky to have you there for them.
I hope you will be able to reach your friend soon. Sending many thoughts and prayers out your way!

PhotoDave219

PhotoMom524 said:
I thought about giving them to the Red Cross / Salvation Army where they will be used, but I want to make sure they go to people who reallly need them from this disaster. Please let your friends know the extra household stuff is theirs once they are ready for them.

Just donate to the Red Cross, Ma.

BTW im gonna donate on your credit card :D :lookaroun

Woody, glad to hear youre safe. Hang in there....

PhotoMom524

Ha Ha Dave... I'm donating tomorrow after I get the matching gifts form from work. It turns a $50 donation into $150, etc. and I want to get the most bang for the buck. However, it will be a while before I get the household stuff together, so the offer still stands until I get it all together for the Red Cross/Salvation Army. And no Dave, none of your concert tees will make it into the box...:D

pinkrose

Our civic center is taking refugees ...

Subject: BJCC Takes in Refugees

The Red Cross has taken in refugees from Hurricane Katrina from South Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana. They are staying at the BJCC Exhibition Hall. Needs known at this time are pillows and toiletries, such as toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo, soap, etc. We also understand that there are many children and we were told they could use games, books, etc. You may bring these items to the BJCC or to CAP (1801 3rd Avenue North) if that is more convenient and we will see to it that they are delivered.

If you would like to know more about donating, please call or e-mail Teresa Thorne at CAP Downtown.
Teresa Thorne
CAP
251-0111

www.capisdowntown.com

cherrynegra

Wdwmagic Hurricane Katrina Fundraiser Daily Total

Thank you again to all of you who donated whatever you could to our fundraising drive. I hope other magic members will be inspired to donate by your action. Thank you!! :wave: Don't forget, the amount donated will be updated each day at 7:00 p.m. (PST)

Amount Donated As of 7:00 p.m. (PST) September 3rd, 2005

$2465

Woody13

stranger said:
Woody, your friends are lucky to have you there for them.
I hope you will be able to reach your friend soon. Sending many thoughts and prayers out your way!
I'm just trying to do what any person would do in a similar situation. A lot of this effort is for me, because I would feel very guilty if I didn't do my best to help. I'm selfish.

Disneydreaming

I checked into this site this morning because I am wondering how all the Disney Gulf Coast and New Orleans area members are doing. I pray everyone escaped with their lives.

My news isn't good. I've lost my home completely to 8 feet of water. We are displaced in Little Rock for now. I don't know what we are going to do at this point, I need a job, my 3 kids need a home. I feel so bad for my oldest daughter, she is 17 and starting her senior year this year, and her car was left behind and its gone as well.

I've thought about heading down to Orlando to find work and temporary housing, a rental, but we have 9 cats and 1 dog with us and I don't know how difficult it will be to find a place willing to take that many pets. I know its crazy, but somehow being close to Disney might bring us some joy in all this devistation. Actually I've always wanted to move there so maybe this is the perfect opportunity to move there. If anyone knows of any opening for massage therapists please let me know.

I will try to monitor this thread to see if there are any updates from those members who are unheard from. If there is anything I can do, since I am still in the area, only a ways out, please, anyone let me know...if you need someone checked on. Cell service and elecricity will be out for a long time.

BTW, my sister's two daughters also lost their homes. One of them only found a slab left. Our family was hit hard.

Linda

tigsmom

Disneydreaming said:
I checked into this site this morning because I am wondering how all the Disney Gulf Coast and New Orleans area members are doing. I pray everyone escaped with their lives.

My news isn't good. I've lost my home completely to 8 feet of water. We are displaced in Little Rock for now. I don't know what we are going to do at this point, I need a job, my 3 kids need a home. I feel so bad for my oldest daughter, she is 17 and starting her senior year this year, and her car was left behind and its gone as well.

I've thought about heading down to Orlando to find work and temporary housing, a rental, but we have 9 cats and 1 dog with us and I don't know how difficult it will be to find a place willing to take that many pets. I know its crazy, but somehow being close to Disney might bring us some joy in all this devistation. Actually I've always wanted to move there so maybe this is the perfect opportunity to move there. If anyone knows of any opening for massage therapists please let me know.

I will try to monitor this thread to see if there are any updates from those members who are unheard from. If there is anything I can do, since I am still in the area, only a ways out, please, anyone let me know...if you need someone checked on. Cell service and elecricity will be out for a long time.

BTW, my sister's two daughters also lost their homes. One of them only found a slab left. Our family was hit hard.

Linda

LINDA! I am so glad you are all ok, "things" can be replaced. I have a 17 y/o too so I know what you are saying there.

You are right, maybe this is a good time for a change. Whatever you decide your friends here will always be there for you. ((HUGS))

There is a Hurricane survivors list in Chit Chat, I am going to add you to the list and take you off the missing one.

:sohappy:

MKCP 1985

Hi everybody! :wave:

I haven't read this thread before posting, so my thoughts and prayers remain, as they have been, with my Gulf Coast Neighbors and forum members who could have been affected by the storm.

As for me, I am happy to report that my family and I are all safe. Our home is one of a very few in Pass Christian that sustained very little damage, primarily due to the fact it is on high ground. I am completely without power, water or telephone service and will be for a while.

I am checking in from my parents home in north Mississippi, where we arrived late last night to get a brief respite from the devastation. From Monday until noon yesterday, I have been helping friends and neighbors with their losses. Devastation is not an understatement. I feel fortunate that to this point, my own friends are all alive. Among the people I know, the ratio of people who lost their homes to those who still have homes is about 4 to 1.

I want to thank everyone here for their prayers and well wishes during these tough times. I won't be back on the boards for a while, only because there is too much work to do.

Love to all,

Doug

tigsmom

MKCP 1985 said:

I haven't read this thread before posting, so my thoughts and prayers remain, as they have been, with my Gulf Coast Neighbors and forum members who could have been affected by the storm.

As for me, I am happy to report that my family and I are all safe. Our home is one of a very few in Pass Christian that sustained very little damage, primarily due to the fact it is on high ground. I am completely without power, water or telephone service and will be for a while.

I am checking in from my parents home in north Mississippi, where we arrived late last night to get a brief respite from the devastation. From Monday until noon yesterday, I have been helping friends and neighbors with their losses. Devastation is not an understatement. I feel fortunate that to this point, my own friends are all alive. Among the people I know, the ratio of people who lost their homes to those who still have homes is about 4 to 1.

I want to thank everyone here for their prayers and well wishes during these tough times. I won't be back on the boards for a while, only because there is too much work to do.

Love to all,

Doug

DOUG!!!!!!!

We have been soooo worried about you! ((((HUGS))) :kiss:
So glad you are all safe. The picture & stories coming out of the area are unbelievable.

I'm adding you to the list of those who have checked in (in Chit Chat)

:wave:

SpongeScott

Original Poster
MKCP 1985 said:

Love to all,

Doug
:sohappy: :sohappy: Thank you!! We've been worried about you. Glad to know you are well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom