Here come the mermaids

MaryTwin1

I don't understand the complaining either. The bulk of the ride basically stays the same with just a little modification. It is nice to add a little something new and incorporating aspects from movies that people see gives them something to look for and relate to. Can't please everybody though. Someone always has to complain.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't understand the complaining either. The bulk of the ride basically stays the same with just a little modification. It is nice to add a little something new and incorporating aspects from movies that people see gives them something to look for and relate to. Can't please everybody though. Someone always has to complain.

Posts like this call for a photoshop of something just thrown into a classic movie.. to illustrate the concept of FOCUS.. and that lack of it... detracts from the project.

raven

A bit blurry but this is one concept picture.
1209110100_zps65d341ef.jpg

Omegadiz

While i'm not as die-hard about the attraction, i can say that in my opinion, the mermaids dont belong there as most of the ride is grounded in reality. I dont even believe Davy Jones should be there because the fealing of realism is gone. I however do belive that Jack Sparrow and a few other movie elements are fine. Jack adds (or should add) a subplot to the ride that is recognizable. Black Beard....well he's Black Beard (though not as stereotypical as he should be) So he should have a spot in the attraction that doenst take away from the main story. The mermaids, i dont believe would take away...however, i just dont think it adds the rouge pirates atmosphere. I'd rather Angelica make a cameo or two involving the Jack Sparrow subplot.

Skyway

The concept art makes it look like there is a new false background with a lighthouse (projection with animated mermaids in the bay?)

JungleTrekFan

Most likely,though adding the lighthouse seems completely random, but whatever...
Its the lighthouse from that scene of the movie where the mermaids attacked. It ties in quite well and would actually give that room more of a storyline instead of just being a creepy cave with dead pirates. Looking at the art, all they have to do is take out a mast that covers some of that plain flat wall that they’re going to use to show the lighthouse and then add the little broken dock section and mermaids.

MagicMike

Most likely,though adding the lighthouse seems completely random, but whatever...

It recalls the lighthouse scene from On Stranger Tides.

[Edit] Sorry, they beat me to it.

Its the lighthouse from that scene of the movie where the mermaids attacked. It ties in quite well and would actually give that room more of a storyline instead of just being a creepy cave with dead pirates.

But that's the point. The intro is ominous and foreboding. It sets the tone for the ride and builds atmosphere for riders. It was part of a greater story. This change further segments the ride into "scenes" and the story gets fragmented once again.

lazyboy97o

they ride the ride they will expect to see Jack and characters from the movie, just like everyother ride in WDW that is tied to a movie. Personally I don't see the big deal, it is just keeping up with the current fans of the movies and parks. I know my kids would be asking "Where is captain Jack? Why isn't he in the POTC ride?" You have the pirates league and everything else in that area tied to the movies why not the ride also?
I was a fan of the idea, but the whole thing was botched. It could have been done without altering the basic story.

disney fan 13

It recalls the lighthouse scene from On Stranger Tides.

[Edit] Sorry, they beat me to it.

But that's the point. The intro is ominous and foreboding. It sets the tone for the ride and builds atmosphere for riders. It was part of a greater story. This change further segments the ride into "scenes" and the story gets fragmented once again.

Oh, sorry I never bothered to see the 4th movie (The 3rd movie was the end of that series for me) but I agree with you on your second point.

FigmentJedi

I see they're throwing coherency out of the window here. At least with the earlier movie changes, you could surmise that the "evacuate the fort while it's being attacked by pirates only for your route to take you through creepy skeleton caves" notion could still exist.

But a quick detour to Murmaider Island before heading back to the plot on Isla Tesoro?

Skyway

The intro is ominous and foreboding. It sets the tone for the ride and builds atmosphere for riders. It was part of a greater story.

You're right, there was a greater story...that got left behind in Anaheim when POTC made the journey to Florida in '73.

The abbreviated cave sequence in WDW never made any sense (not that the DL original is very logical, either). You board a boat, immediately enter a cave, and then immediately encounter skeletons that had been digging up a treasure chest?? (Why didn't the Spanish soldiers get the treasure when they built the tunnel? Their fort is just a few feet away! And why are the skeletons even there? Didn't the soldiers notice the stink?)

Clearly the WDW cave was shoehorned in to resemble DL, but without the elaborate basement cave system out west. And while that cave does set the mood and create atmosphere, the same can hardly be said of WDW.

Sure, it doesn't necessarily make sense either to enter a cave with a ghost talking on a waterfall, then see mermaids on a beach (although the drawing suggests there is now a reason for the skeletons to be there).

But adding this new scene is certainly not vandalizing some great work of art.

The Duck

I recall reading (don't remember the source) that Marc Davis wasn't particularly fond of the skeleton cavern at Disneyland. He felt that it was just filler for the real show that began when the ship was firing on the fort. This was supposedly one of the factors that led to WDW's shorter skeleton cavern (besides budget and the need to build quickly).
If this is true, perhaps Marc would have approved of a little plussing in this area. Whether or not he would have liked man-eating mermaids is debatable but I'm OK with the idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom