Help, WDW veterans

Pirate’s Life

Original Poster
I'm new to the site and have thoroughly enjoyed reading this forum.
As a DLR veteran (first visit to DL was in 1969 and first attraction was PotC), I need help from the WDW veterans who can give me some tips on how to get the most out of WDW. My last visit was in 1997. We will have a full day in each of the 4 parks. 4 days total. I understand that some of the parks are half day and others may need more time. Any hidden gems (attractions) or nice places to eat? We are more focused on the attractions that we don't have in DLR. Many thanks in advance.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I would argue that none of the parks are a "half day"....but HS and AK come close to it (and currently AK closes early, though rumor is that will change in a few years).

Nice places to eat...here, WDW slaughters DL, IMHO. If you seek a fancy meal...Jikos (Animal Kingdom Lodge) is a must do.

Unique dining options...

If taking kids, Cindys Royal Table is a nice experience. As is Akershus.
Rose and Crown for Illuminations
California Grill for Wishes Fireworks
Book late at Le Cellier and walk out of EPCOT after closing time

You can get a Fantasmic Seating Package at various restaurants at HS (Brown Derby, Hollywood and Vine and Mama Melrose, as I recall). The package is free, but you'll need to request it when reserving.

Do the Safari at AK early in the day (like first thing). The animals are more active in the morning.

As far as attractions go...I think our Splash is superior, as is our Haunted Mansion and ToT. Sourin, Little Mermaid and Pirates will leave you disappointed. Test Track is ok, but it's sister ride at Carsland is far better.

That's all I can think of for the moment...enjoy your trip!

Pirate’s Life

Original Poster
I would argue that none of the parks are a "half day"....but HS and AK come close to it (and currently AK closes early, though rumor is that will change in a few years).

Nice places to eat...here, WDW slaughters DL, IMHO. If you seek a fancy meal...Jikos (Animal Kingdom Lodge) is a must do.

Unique dining options...

If taking kids, Cindys Royal Table is a nice experience. As is Akershus.
Rose and Crown for Illuminations
California Grill for Wishes Fireworks
Book late at Le Cellier and walk out of EPCOT after closing time

You can get a Fantasmic Seating Package at various restaurants at HS (Brown Derby, Hollywood and Vine and Mama Melrose, as I recall). The package is free, but you'll need to request it when reserving.

Do the Safari at AK early in the day (like first thing). The animals are more active in the morning.

As far as attractions go...I think our Splash is superior, as is our Haunted Mansion and ToT. Sourin, Little Mermaid and Pirates will leave you disappointed. Test Track is ok, but it's sister ride at Carsland is far better.

That's all I can think of for the moment...enjoy your trip!

Thanks Englanddg
I'm jotting this down now.

mousehockey37

As a DLR veteran (first visit to DL was in 1969 and first attraction was PotC), I need help from the WDW veterans who can give me some tips on how to get the most out of WDW. My last visit was in 1997. We will have a full day in each of the 4 parks. 4 days total. I understand that some of the parks are half day and others may need more time. Any hidden gems (attractions) or nice places to eat? We are more focused on the attractions that we don't have in DLR. Many thanks in advance.

First and foremost, this is a thread that will require me getting and eating some popcorn. This one's gonna blow up fast.

Secondly, DHS is a shell of what it was, and AK (depending on what you're looking to do) can be a half day park.

As for hidden gems or nice places to eat? Can't really help ya there. Don't have a clue as to what your tastes are, nor do I have any idea of what a hidden gem attraction would be to you.

Everyone who posts here will give you their opinion, and by the end of the thread/time of your trip, you'll probably have every single place listed on here as well as a list refuting the opinions of other posters.

So, I guess what I'm going to ask is this: Give us a little bit more detail to what you are looking for. You helped with the attractions portion because you want to do things that DLR doesn't have. What kind of food do you want to eat, etc...

Pirate’s Life

Original Poster
First and foremost, this is a thread that will require me getting and eating some popcorn. This one's gonna blow up fast.

Secondly, DHS is a shell of what it was, and AK (depending on what you're looking to do) can be a half day park.

As for hidden gems or nice places to eat? Can't really help ya there. Don't have a clue as to what your tastes are, nor do I have any idea of what a hidden gem attraction would be to you.

Everyone who posts here will give you their opinion, and by the end of the thread/time of your trip, you'll probably have every single place listed on here as well as a list refuting the opinions of other posters.

So, I guess what I'm going to ask is this: Give us a little bit more detail to what you are looking for. You helped with the attractions portion because you want to do things that DLR doesn't have. What kind of food do you want to eat, etc...

We are looking for a nice restaurant for two of the nights and are open to all cuisines. Also fun/casual restaurants for other times. As for hidden gems, something that the WDW visitor would consider a "must do" which a person who doesn't visit often, like myself, could possibly miss. We will be there in mid-April.

EOD K9

In DTD Earl of Sandwich is a good place to eat and it is not that expensive. In the MK, Columbia Harbor House in Liberty Square has pretty good food. Epcot has Sunshine Seasons in The Land pavilion. IMO, that has some of the best QS food on property. Not to be missed is Club Cool in Epcot as well. They have samples of Coca-Cola that you can try from other countries. The Sci-Fi Drive in Theater in HS also has a neat atmosphere.

Last edited:

WDW!

We eat lunch at Plaza Restaurant in MK & in Epoct we have dinner at Via Napoli. Both are sit down, and casual dining. Chef Mickey is a good character meal, it is a buffet. Other meals we use quick service places or eat off property.
As far as 1/2 day parks, you will have decide for yourself. I'm one of the people who thinks that AK is a 1/2 day (or no day) park. It really depends on what you want to do or see, & that really goes for all the parks.

Gaston's gal

Mama Melrose is a must for us at HS. You can also get their Fantasmic Package so that's a bonus. Whispering Canyon Cafe, at Wilderness Lodge across from MK, has yummy food and a fun, lively atmosphere. I almost hate to tell you to make any dining reservations at Epcot because you can just eat your way around the World Showcase--it's all good! At AK, Tusker House has good food too. For QS, go to Sleepy Hollow in Liberty Square in MK for a waffle sandwich. Enjoy your trip!

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.

I'm going to inform you of "underrated" attractions that most guests will skip or miss because they do not see or hear about it. Do not miss these attractions as they are very good! The best part about this list is that since they're "underrated attractions," there's usually no wait for these!

Magic Kingdom

- Mickey's Philharmagic: If you scroll closely through these forums, this is loved and adored by everyone! It's a 3D experience starring Donald Duck. One of the best attraction on Disney property actually. There's usually never a wait. But if there IS a line, don't worry. It's a show so it takes in a lot of people. You'l love this.

- Laugh Floor Comedy: Located in Tomorrowland, the outside and the pre-show makes you think that this show is going to be either very cheesy or very lame. But this show is VERY hilarious! And again, usually no wait.. And if there is, this show takes in twice as many people as M'sP does. It's a hidden gem that most people will skip. Very funny.

- TTA Peoplemover: You would obviously know about this as the abandoned version at Disneyland's tomorrowland.. Never a wait.. It's breezy and relaxing. And if the lights are on in Space Mountain, you could be very lucky and see the inside with the lights on!

EPCOT

- Ellen's Energy Adventure: Not because it's a good attraction. By all means, it is VERY dated and in pretty rough shape. But I can guarantee that when it's about 5 or 6 o'clock and you've made your way all around World Showcase.. You will be T.I.R.E.D. This ride is air conditioned and 45 minutes long and there's NEVER a wait (As it takes in about 1,000 people per ride). Use this attraction to your own advantage when you get very tired. After all.. Epcot secretly means "Every Person Comes Out Tired"..

- Living with the Land: It's a very neat little boat ride through a greenhouse. Pretty relaxing. I wouldn't be surprised if you rode it in 1997. The line moves faster than it looks and the time posted for it usually.

- SUM of All Thrills: This is something I actually consider to be a ride that rarely anyone knows about.. Otherwise it'd be packed. It is located in "Innoventions West." Despite the line seeming to be pretty short, this ride has pretty low capacity so you may actually wait about 30 minutes. But it's worth it. You design your own roller coaster and ride it in a robot-arm simulator. You have the option on how fast your coaster goes, if it goes upside down, ect. Technically the only one out of two attractions in all of WDW property that goes upside down.

- O' Canada: A circle vision 360* film in the Canada pavilion. Note that there will not be any seats, but it is air conditioned. It stars Martin Short which is pretty awesome.. Much better than the China 360* film.

- The American Adventure: This is by all means the BIGGEST hidden gem in ALL of Walt Disney World. I won't give any spoilers just in case you haven't seen it. It's amazing.

Hollywood Studios

- The Magic of Disney Animation: A pretty neat presentation on how animation is made. You can also participate in a live drawing class here. I recommend not missing this at all.

- Voyage of the Little Mermaid: This may actually have a wait.. And some people on these forums may say it's getting pretty old. But if you've never seen the show before, it's brand new! It's a very unique little show that features puppetry with the use of neon lights and such.

- Walt Disney: One Man's Dream: If you're into the Disney history like I am, you may enjoy taking a walkthrough of this little museum-like experience and enjoying the historical film at the end of the museum. If you're not, give it a pass.

Animal Kingdom

- Flights of Wonders: The most over-looked show/attraction on the entire Walt Disney World property. It's a bird show.. But there are a lot of corny jokes that make the show actually pretty funny. And the tricks and such that the birds actually do are quite amusing and funny as well. It's a "funny bird show."

- It's Tough to Be a Bug: Amazingly usually doesn't have a very long line. Which is pretty ironic considering that it takes place inside the actual Tree of Life. One of the best 3D shows on Disney property next to M'sP

- Finding Nemo: The Musical: In my personal opinion, I consider this the best live stage show on Disney property. But most guests will say it's Festival of the Lion King. I'm more of a broadway-musical fanatic and this show is exactly that. People that have worked on the broadway show "Avenue Q" worked on the music for this show and puppetry. It is remarkable and has true broadway-style quality to it. Also, it's AC!

DisneyMusician2

Lots of opinions already, so I'll just offer two:

On food, don't miss Sanaa in Kidani Village (Animal Kingdom Lodge), it is a restaurant many are afraid to try (Indian/African fusion), but the food and the bread service are wonderful. Get a table by the window, the animals from the savannah get super close! Its also close to AK, and is really superior to anything in the parks and nice way to end the day. The hotel itself is also really impressive from an architectural standpoint on the Jambo House side

As far as a hidden gem attraction (other than the obvious headliners) Wonders covered a lot of my favorites that people tell me they missed. Living with the Land is a big one in Epcot people walk right by. In MK, I'd tell you to try the Sorcere's of the MK card game if you have time. I didn't think I'd enjoy it, but it was a actually a lot of fun and many of the attraction in MK you will recognize from your Disneyland experience.

I'd also tell you to be sure to explore all the countries in Epcot. There are the kidcot station if you have kids and a ton of great stuff tucked away inside the pavilions to take in if you have the time.

Have fun and send any questions our way! Good luck!

wdwfan4ver

We are more focused on the attractions that we don't have in DLR. Many thanks in advance.

You are going to be hurting at DHS for attractions to go to since the ride department for you is down to 2 rides that aren't in Disneyland or DCA since Backlot Tour no longer exists for DHS. You might have go on attractions that are at your 2 parks instead as result since you going to depend on a lot of Stage shows at DHS otherwise.

I recommend One Man's Dream as hidden gem.

I'm also letting you know the DHS is having walls up at the time you come because DHS is in the start of a redo right now. Right now there are construction walls by the exiting building of the Great Movie Ride, walls around Sound Stage Studios 1, and a current construction wall where getting a rid of the Sorcerer's Hat happened last week.

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
You are going to be hurting at DHS for attractions to go to since the ride department for you is down to 2 rides that aren't in Disneyland or DCA since Backlot Tour no longer exists for DHS. You might have go on attractions that are at your 2 parks instead as result since you going to depend on a lot of Stage shows at DHS otherwise.

I recommend One's Dream as hidden gem.

I'm also letting you know the DHS is having walls up at the time you come because DHS is in the start of a redo right now. Right now there are construction walls by the exiting building of the Great Movie Ride, walls around Sound Stage Studios 1, and a current construction wall where getting a rid of the Sorcerer's Hat happened last week.

HS is more known for shows that Disneyland doesn't have though..

Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular
Voyage of the Little Mermaid
Beauty and the Beast: Live onstage!
L!M!A! Extreme Stunt Show
Muppet Vision 3D (Considering the fact that it's always closed in Disneyland)

You're right on the two rides though..

The Great Movie Ride
Rockin' Roller Coaster

But if you think about it.. HS only has 4 rides. So technically half of the rides in the park can't be found at Disneyland! ;):hilarious:

Pirate’s Life

Original Poster
Wow, thank you all! There is so much to see even beyond the E tickets and the headline shows. This will give us a great experience. Obviously, we can't see everything in those four days but your suggestions are duly noted and we'll try are best to cover as much as possible. We'll need to keep coming back even after this trip as there is so much to do in WDW.

wdwfan4ver

We'll need to keep coming back even after this trip as there is so much to do in WDW.
Hopefully AK's new attractions would be open by the time you go again after this trip. I'm also hoping that DHS is going to have stuff from the redo done by the time you go again after this trip since this redo is right now is in the beginning stages.

Last edited:

Matt_Black

If you're staying onsite, take advantage of the Extra Magic hours when you can. If you find that you've done all you want to do in one park and it's still relatively early, use that park hopper option if you have it and hit another one.

Another tip- at park open in Magic Kingdom, I find that Adventureland and Frontierland tend not to get visited as much in the mornings as Tomorrowland or Fantasyland, so go clockwise through the park. I did this in the middle of Christmas week and was walking onto rides until at least lunch time.

Pirate’s Life

Original Poster
Hopefully AK's new attractions would be open by the time you go again after this trip. I'm also hoping that DHS is going to have stuff from the redo done by the time you go again after this trip since this redo is right now is in the beginning stages.
I'm excited for you all at WDW. Looks like a bright future is coming your way.
Whether you like, dislike or are indifferent to the Avatar movie, I think Avatarland will be visually stunning with a couple of attractions that I'm sure will impress.
Also the Studio getting that much needed TLC with Pixar and Star Wars additions.
And I'm anxious to see Epcot to see if it has declined since I last saw it in the 80's and 90's. My favorite park back then. I realize there are attractions that are new since then, but what I've read from this forum, is that it needs upgrading, rehabbing and more attractions.
Cross our fingers and hope Epcot gets what the studio is getting, some TLC. We know how slow Disney is in adding anything to their parks, let's just hope it's sooner than later (Disneyland hasn't added an E-ticket in 20 years).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom