Help wanted please- Family first time trip in Nov

latex55

Original Poster
Going to WDW on Nov 2 with my wife and 2 girls- ages 6 and 8

right now im trying to book our hotel stay and we want to stay at one of the onsite resorts. I am going through Davids rentals and tried to get the Boardwalk, but its all sold out.

in our budget, here is what they have

Old Key West- Studio
Villas at Wilderness Lodge- Studio

My question is, of the two above which would you choose? Also, I read where the Villas at WL are not the same as the actual Wilderness Lodge, but its onsite. Is this a step down in quality and a pain to get to the buses and boat?

I see pros and cons of each. I love the look of the WL but im worried it might be too far from Disney Springs and Epcot/HS. We are getting the park hopper and spending two days at MK, so we were hoping to go to downtown and Epcot to eat at night since it will be during F&W festival. Is it a pain to get from WL to those?

TIA

MySmallWorldof4

WL is much more convenient to MK than OKW. While OKW is beautiful and convenient to DS, it is not convenient to any park. We stayed there once and ended up taking our car to all of the parks. They are also spread out and you may not get one convenient to the main building.

The Villas are not a step down in quality. The studios I believe are in one wing of the main Wilderness Lodge building. The watercraft launch is convenient to the Lodge and Villas. You can take the launch to MK and can even take the launch to the Contemporary where if you wanted you can pickup the Monorail to EPCOT.

I would pick WL. It is a beautiful property and the watercraft to MK is a huge bonus!

Calvin34

Stay closest to MK, without question. With the ages of your girls, you're going to be there most of the trip, especially since it's the first.

We just got back from our 5th trip with our girls, that are now 16 & 13. We still spent more time at MK than any other.

Disvillain63

We have stayed in both, OKW and V@WL. We love them both. At OKW, you will have more space as the studios and one-bedroom/two-bedrooms are larger. However, if you're more likely to spend your time at MK, then you can't beat V@WL. Some of the studios are now in the main building (converted regular rooms) and a few are in the original DVC building.

latex55

Original Poster
i read somewhere where if you do the points through Davids for Wilderness you dont get the housekeeping. can anyone confirm>

Big Hair

I agree with all the rest of the posters especially with the age of your children. With Key West you will most likely have a 2nd or 3rd floor set of stairs to walk up to get to your room too. When you return when the kids are older they will enjoy the Key West experience. Wilderness Lodge will enthrall them now. Shoot, I am awed every time I go there. One wing of of WL will be converted to villa studios by the time you get there. I am a DVC member and the villa studios are usually always bigger than regular room with more amentities. Enjoy your trip.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
i read somewhere where if you do the points through Davids for Wilderness you dont get the housekeeping. can anyone confirm>

Can't imagine that is true. The DVC member who "rents" their points to Dave's has to make the DVC Resort reservation. A DVC point reservation doesn't have housekeeping every day, like a standard cash reservation. I believe trash pickup and towel service is done on the 4th day and full service is on the 8th day.

Know that a studio at OKW is more like the traditional hotel room at Disney - two queen beds, no sleeper sofa, but does have the kitchenette and a large bath. But, OKW is the first DVC resort, very spread out and no elevators - which can be a pain if you have a 3rd floor studio. But you get to park in front of your building.

The studios at WL have one queen bed, sleeper sofa and the pull down Murphy bed, which becomes the table when up. May be a little tight for the 4 of you.

The studios at Poly are the largest, plus you have two bathrooms (okay the second only has a vanity and a very nice shower). I'd check the availability of Poly.

Note that the time you are planning to visit is during the Wine and Dine Half Marathon, so plan for those crowds, in addition to the insane crowds at World Showcase for the Food & Wine Festival.

Oh, WL shares buses with the Contemporary.

Edit: the East wing (one nearest the Boulder Creek Villas) at WL has been converted into DVC studios. Supposedly, they will be ready for occupancy this summer. But, they are a NEW DVC resort (Copper Creek), so what @Big Hair said about the location of the studios at WL is incorrect. If you decide to stay at WL, you will be in a studio at Boulder Creek (the separate DVC building). Also know that there is a lot of construction going on at WL right now with the new pool by the Villas and the cabins along Bay Lake.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom