Help Swan or Port Orleans???

RetiredFRN

Planning a trip in June for my birthday. Taking my daughter and her friend who will both be 17. Have stayed at many DW resorts including value, moderate and deluxe. Looking at the Swan due to the location and the nurses discount. Looking at Port Orleans French quarter since it's a "disney property". Have not stayed at either one. Reading many reviews and getting slightly confused. Swan seems nice, don't care about the spotty wifi and location seems great. Have stayed at boardwalk and yacht before for conferences so want to try something different. Port Orleans seems nice but not great in the "location" aspect. Leaning towards the Swan. So what does everyone think??:)

luv

Swan is better.

If money is a big whup, see if the Swan will be charging you an additional "resort fee". Also, will you have to pay to park your car? They like to nickel and dime you to death over at the Swan and Dolphin. It might still be the best deal and they're certainly better than Disney Mods, but know what you're getting into. :)

Good luck with your decision.

Upvote 0

AgentB911

Skip both and go for Caribbean Beach! I was a little hesitant, but ended up pleasantly surprised. Of course, having only stayed in values in the past may have made it easy for me to have that "wow factor." But you know what they say...once you go mod, you never go back...or something like that.

Upvote 0

hankhill

POR is a fave. Have stayed at swan and dolphin for conferences as well. I just really love th antebellum style to POR. if you want more restaurant choices I would go swan but if you want Disney resort quality then I would say POR.

Upvote 0

Pooh Lover

My husband and I are big EPCOT fans and tend to spend more time there. If you are the same and would love the proximity to the 2 parks as well as the Boardwalk, the Swan might be the way to go. I would definitely try the Swan once to see what you think overall.

Upvote 0
Stayed at Swan and PO Riverside. Did not like the Swan at all. Just felt like anoth hotel. Heading back to PO Riverside in 3 weeks! If you want Disney experience such as Magical Express there is no choice. Have to admit being that close to Epcot and HS would be nice but wasn't worth what we lost staying at the Swan.

Upvote 0

PUSH

I agree with the ones who say PORS. It's a beautiful resort with a great food court. As for the buses, I've never had many problems with them, but I'm pretty patient with those types of things. If you do end up going the route of PORS, I suggest staying in the mansion rooms and not the bayou rooms. I guess it's just my personal preference, but the rooms are great. Hope I helped! :)

Upvote 0

Chrononymous

I have been to both

POFQ
pros
Disney property...Feels like Disney
Great pool
Easy access to Downtown via boat
Easy walk to dining in PORS (which has my fav food court)
Free parking
Charming theme
Beignets!

cons
Bus takes forever to get around to you
Rooms are small
No sit down dining in actual resort
Not the best location in connection to parks

SWAN
pros
Location location location!
In room stocked mini fridge (which could be a Con)
Decent restaurants on property
Easy walk to other Disney resorts (including Boardwalk)
Timely Buses
Decent size room

cons
No Disney customer service
Doesn't have that Disney feel
Theme...meh
Pool...meh
Pay for resort parking
Housekeeping...meh

Upvote 0

graphite1326

Stayed at Swan and PO Riverside. Did not like the Swan at all. Just felt like anoth hotel. Heading back to PO Riverside in 3 weeks! If you want Disney experience such as Magical Express there is no choice. Have to admit being that close to Epcot and HS would be nice but wasn't worth what we lost staying at the Swan.

Exactley. I have stayed at Swan and FQ. It's just much more fun staying at FQ. It's small and qiuet and gets you in the Disney mood. Like Midwest said, Swan has that just another hotel feel to it.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

The Swan isn't going to give you all of the perks of "on-site" stays, like Magical Express bus transportation or Extra Magic Hours (if those are still happening next year).

I also suspect that despite what WDW has said so far, "off-site" guests such as those at the Swan won't have access to things like FP+, or will have more limited access than onsite guests. WDW hasn't even begun to test Magic Bands or FP+ for offsite guests yet, has it?

Upvote 0

Minthorne

The Swan isn't going to give you all of the perks of "on-site" stays, like Magical Express bus transportation or Extra Magic Hours (if those are still happening next year).

I also suspect that despite what WDW has said so far, "off-site" guests such as those at the Swan won't have access to things like FP+, or will have more limited access than onsite guests. WDW hasn't even begun to test Magic Bands or FP+ for offsite guests yet, has it?

Swan/Dolphin does have EMH.
FP+ testing is beginning with Swan/Dolphin, but no advanced planning or magic bands is involved.
You cannot do DDP
No ability to do room charges from Disney retail/Dining locations.

But you can walk to DHS and Epcot from the Swan!
You have all of the Boardwalk right there!
The BEST BEDS on property are at the Swan!

For me it is a no brainer, unless you are talking Deluxe - nothing beats the Swan/Dolphin

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Swan/Dolphin does have EMH.
FP+ testing is beginning with Swan/Dolphin, but no advanced planning or magic bands is involved.
You cannot do DDP
No ability to do room charges from Disney retail/Dining locations.

But you can walk to DHS and Epcot from the Swan!
You have all of the Boardwalk right there!
The BEST BEDS on property are at the Swan!

For me it is a no brainer, unless you are talking Deluxe - nothing beats the Swan/Dolphin

Thank you for the correction.

Upvote 0
We stayed at the Swan last year & loved it, the location is fantastic & being able to walk to Epcot, DHS & the Boardwalk is a massive plus.
Apart from not getting the DME to & from the airport, your pretty much getting all of the benefits of a full on Disney property.
To clarify a point made by an earlier poster, the Swan & Dolphin both allow EMH.
I also hear that they are due to start testing the magic bands soon as well.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom