Help Planning for Small Children on a Budget

can_ball

Original Poster
I need help planning my family's first trip to WDW. Traveling with my husband and two daughters (will be 5 and 3 years old). I've been to WDW many times, but never on a strict budget. I'm trying to save as much money as possible by planning properly. But I don't want to be so cheap that we don't have a good time.

What are the best value resorts? And why do you like them?

What is the best/cheapest time to travel? I am looking at sometime January-June 2016 (I need 2015 to save!). I want to go when it's warm, but before the crowds, and the trip has to be before my oldest starts Kindergarten in September.

Is the dining plan worth it? We plan to eat all counter service meals, but my kids love to snack.

Anyone who has traveled with kids around this age, how long of a stay is enough? And my plan was to focus mostly on MK, but is there anything at the other parks that is a must see for such young ones? The parks are so big for little feet, my kids are a little old but, does having a stroller help? If so, bring from home or rent at WDW?

Any other advice?

I've tried searching on the forums for these questions but cannot seem to find what I am looking for. If I'm asking a question that's been asked a thousand times, I am very sorry!

belledream

Hi there! I don't have kids, but I can offer some insight onto the first few questions you have.
1. I've stayed at all the All Stars and Pop Century. Art of Animation has Little Mermaid rooms that seem to fit your family's size, but are pricier and tend to be excluded from promotions. So excluding that from the conversation, I'd recommend Pop Century over the All Stars. It tends to be a few more dollars per night, but is one and only one stop on the bus, whereas during certain times of the day, the 3 All Stars share a bus. I haven't personally encountered this too often (stayed at each over the past 3 years) but it is something to consider if you don't think the extra cost is worth it. The themes and rooms are all very similar - larger than life icons in motel-style buildings. We love them! Cheap & convenient.

2. January (after the New Years crowd goes away) through February is going to be cheaper and less crowded than March/April, when Spring Break starts. Obviously it won't be as warm though. The beginning of May is also good due to deals and events (Flower & Garden Festival at EPCOT is lovely), but towards the end, lots of things going on with Star Wars Weekends and groups of students celebrating graduation.

3. I wouldn't recommend the dining plan unless you get some kind of discount on it. Again, I don't have kids, but I would assume that not everyone needs their own soda and dessert and that a lot of these things are embedded in the price of the plan, when in fact they can be shared. A common thing that many people do is load up on Disney Gift Cards and put them towards meals so that you've technically prepaid for meals that you want, when you want. It might make paying for all those QS meals feel a little easier.

4. MK is definitely the park for kids. Would definitely plan more than one day there. AK would be my #2 - lots of kid-friendly rides and exhibits. EPCOT is a dream for adults, but not as much for kids, and HS could probably be left out in place of another MK day. All in my opinion of course. Can't help with the stroller advice.

Good luck and happy planning!

Weather_Lady

What is the best/cheapest time to travel? I am looking at sometime January-June 2016 (I need 2015 to save!). I want to go when it's warm, but before the crowds, and the trip has to be before my oldest starts Kindergarten in September.

Is the dining plan worth it? We plan to eat all counter service meals, but my kids love to snack.

Anyone who has traveled with kids around this age, how long of a stay is enough? And my plan was to focus mostly on MK, but is there anything at the other parks that is a must see for such young ones? The parks are so big for little feet, my kids are a little old but, does having a stroller help? If so, bring from home or rent at WDW?

Any other advice?

January, early February and late March/early April (avoiding the weeks before and after Easter) will have lower crowds and cool/warm weather. All are good times to go. I can't comment on the Value resorts, although requesting a room near the main bus depot (even if you have to pay a little extra for a "preferred" room) is often worth it, unless you have your own car.

I generally don't recommend the dining plan to anyone unless its offerings sync up perfectly with what they'd normally eat. (If they don't, you'll likely lose money.) I'd try using the tool here, selecting all counter-service venues, and see what it says about whether you'll save money: http://www.distripplanner.com/ Also, don't underestimate the value of bringing your own breakfast items and snacks, and don't hesitate to ask for iced water whenever you get thirsty -- it's free upon request at any WDW counter-service location (and you don't have to purchase anything to get it). You may also find, depending on your kids' appetites and dining preferences, that it's easier to buy an adult meal and split it, rather than paying for kids' meals off of the limited kids' menu.

We took our kids at 4 and 6 the first time and stayed 6 days (5 nights), which was perfect for 2 1/2 days at MK, 1 1/2 days at Epcot (they were bored with World Showcase but we spent an evening there anyway), less than 1 day at Hollywood Studios (leaving at 2pm and visiting Downtown Disney later in the day for a dinner reservation), 1/2 day at Animal Kingdom, and 1/2 day of "pool time" at the resort. In hindsight, the kids would have been perfectly happy skipping Animal Kingdom, which is huge and exhausting to walk (and had the smallest number of attractions that interested them), and certainly World Showcase, so we could have had just as enjoyable a trip in only 5 days. (I wouldn't recommend anything shorter, though!)

My biggest recommendations with kids are: (1) arrive at rope drop!!!; (2) leave after lunch for a 3-hour or longer nap break -- even if they're too big to be napping anymore, they'll need it, and so will you -- (3) come back to the parks in the afternoon from 4pmish to 9pmish, but do your best to preserve the kids' usual bedtimes (until the last night -- then anything goes!) so they can get up early and won't be walking any park at any point for more than a 5-hour stretch; (4) make sure they have well broken-in, quality footwear, like athletic sneakers or hiking sandals, so they won't get blisters. Doing things that way, we never needed a stroller, but then again, my kids are on the tall, athletic side and very [hyper]active, so your mileage may vary. I'd still advice avoiding the hassle of strollers if at all possible -- just keep an open mind toward renting one on-site if you end up needing one. :)

Have a wonderful time!

Last edited:

HRHPrincessAriel

Small way to save some $ but take your own glow stuff with you. We loaded up at the Dollar Store.

We also shipped sodas/water/snacks via amazon pantry. We just packed our own and took them into parks with us.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
We saved a lot of money on our last couple trips with our waffle iron. You can do eggs, bacon, biscuits, grilled cheese, and (of course) waffles. That's a lot of easy meals for a $20 trip to the grocery store. Also cereal and oatmeal (in the microwave). Our daughter was a somewhat picky eater at those ages, so those things were all good and easy food for us. For snacks, we bought a huge box of goldfish and a number of cereals and made snack baggies to take into the parks with us. Also lots of water bottles (with flavor packets).

We like the Dining Plan, but it is NOT a good budget conscious decision. It is convenient, but won't save you $$. Sharing meals and (especially) DRINKS will save you the most $$.

And this:

My biggest recommendations with kids are: (1) arrive at rope drop!!!; (2) leave after lunch for a 3-hour or longer nap break -- even if they're too big to be napping anymore, they'll need it, and so will you -- (3) come back to the parks in the afternoon from 4pmish to 9pmish, but do your best to preserve the kids' usual bedtimes (until the last night -- then anything goes!) so they can get up early and won't be walking any park at any point for more than a 5-hour stretch; (4) make sure they have well broken-in, quality footwear, like athletic sneakers or hiking sandals, so they won't get blisters.

That is a paragraph of pure gold that I could not have put better myself.

smk

LOVE the waffle iron idea! You can even make hot sandwiches and take your own fruit and chips, pringles, no crush can and often they are cheap!. Breakfast items are easy, take PB&J with you to the parks. I have seen many people pull up to a wall and pull out a gladware container with their own sandwiches. Ice water is free. DP is too much, unless it is free, then if a package deal makes sense go for it. A value resort is a perfect size for you four. Keep in mind the values have small fridges, so a cooler might be in order too. Just ice it down every night. I can and do a budget friendly trip each and every time, including the drive down from Indy. We stop at subway, split a 12 inch, and Arby's dollar menu is perfect. We take fruit and chips and soft drinks. I am card carrying member of diet coke anonymous. Always have peanut/trail mix too. Buy that stuff, hide it and save for the trip! Also, while there we often only order kids meals and spruce them up when we can, like at Peco's Bills in the MK. Or we split and adult meal at Cosmic Rays, plenty of food! Seriously the tickets are the most cost, I think souvenirs are reasonably priced too. If you knock it out of the park with food cost savings you can find it is not that expensive.

Weather_Lady

The waffle iron idea is awesome! We pack carryon-only, so it's not a possibility for us, but we do bring boxes of breakfast cereal (the mini-size "single serving" boxes) and disposable bowls and spoons for the kids, so they can eat breakfast right in our hotel room in their jammies. (We buy milk at the resort store -- each WDW hotel has one that sells grocery staples, albeit at a high markup). For DH and I, we bring granola bars or Emerald Breakfast to Go granola packets. For snacks, we bring apples and pretzels, or else gird our loins, open our wallets and "invest" in some Dole Whips and other in-park snack offerings. :)

disneydudette

We greatly enjoyed our January trip... 'value' pricing and low crowds, but the weather left a lot to be desired!

Having been in January, mid- March, and early May... we absolutely prefer May! First week in May to be specific! Weather was gorgeous and crowds were quite manageable since many schools, including those in the South, are still in session!

It's hard to say what to expect with discounts in 2016. I'd recommend 'budgeting' for what you can afford and any discounts that come out are a bonus!

One of my more 'recent' tips... is to consider booking through Orbitz. Once a discount through Disney is released... that percentage off is reflected in Orbitz pricing. You then (if available) have the option of adding an Orbitz promo code (10, 15, or even at times 20% off) in ADDITION to Disney's discount.

This is also a great option if you'd like to book a room category, like a Little Mermaid standard room at Art of Animation, that's typically excluded from Disney discounts.

Another 'easy' tip is to sign up for a Target REDcard and purchase Disney Gift Cards at 5% discount. It doesn't sound like much, but can add up!

I too will vote against the Dinning Plan. For us, the only 'draw' is the idea of meals being prepaid... otherwise, the plan is over priced, restricting, and at times stressful as you try to 'get the most' for your money.

For us, we now purchase discount Disney gift cards to the amount we expect to spend... charge our meals to our Magic Bands, and stop by the desk to 'pay off' our balance with the gift cards, prior to check out. This gives us to the freedom to split meals, order off the kid's menu (as adults), and snack and eat as we please... without being confined to credits!

A 4 to 5 night vacation is adequate... I'm a much bigger believer in quality... not quantity. Not to mention... arriving on Sunday and leaving on Friday saves you a few extra dollars from increased Weekend Rates!

disneydudette

What are the best value resorts? And why do you like them?

There's no 'perfect' Value resort... and the more time you spend researching... the easier it becomes to talk youself into it... and right back out of it!

We greatly disliked our Pop Century stay... fell in love with All Star Music 8 months later... to each their own!

We avoid All Star Sports... for fear of Sports Teams/Cheerleader Groups.

Love All Star Music, but only when staying 'Preferred'... which is a higher room rate!

Love All Star Movies... especially the Mighty Ducks Section... but 'Standard' rooms are sometimes hard to come by... and if I'm going to pay 'Preferred' pricing... we'll stay at All Star Music.

Little Mermaid Rooms at Art of Animation are a FANTASTIC option... theming, decor, and the benefits of a 'Value Plus' property are great... but rarely are they included in seasonal discounts. Not to mention they can be a 'hike' to the main building/bus stops.

Pop Century and Art of Animation have 'dedicated' bus service... meaning one bus stop... no matter the bus route/destination. A nice perk... but rarely do we 'share' with the other All Stars when staying at a resort.

Another bonus would be that Art of Animation has COVERED bus stops, protecting you from the elements (rain/sun). No other Value has this... I feel it's one of the best features to be honest!

Pros and Cons to every resort... no 'wrong' choice!

As for the Stroller? I suggest bringing one from home or renting from an outside company (Google: Orlando Stroller Rental) who can deliver directly to your resort.

I've found... the most demanding times for a stroller... aren't actually in the park themselves. But rather, that long walk to the bus stop at the end of the night... and waiting for said bus. Then the exhausting walk from your resort bus stop to your room.

It's a time saver, a 'melt down' saver, and a sanity saver!

Last edited:

gooftroop5

You have a lot of good replies here! I will give my two cents, some being repeats because I feel they are important points. :)

- Use a stroller! I can't stress this enough. There is plenty of stroller parking in every park to park it while you do shows, attractions, etc. Our youngest will be 5 when we take our next trip and we will still take a stroller for him.

- Take a backpack to put essentials in. Kids need lots of stuff. :) Sunscreen, ponchos, possible change of clothes for the youngest, snacks.

- Save money by bringing your own snacks. Snacks are expensive at WDW!

- Buy Disney gift cards at Target with a Target Red Card and save 5%. It isn't much, but you can buy 1 or 2 each month to help with the budget.

- Don't do the dining plan. It is a lot of food and from our experience kids don't always eat. :) Plus counter service meals can easily be shared. Counter service can be easier with kids too because you aren't on a schedule with reservations and such.

- Listen to your kids. Start early, take a break, and then see where the day takes you. Everyone will be happier if you play it by ear (as much as possible with FP+).

We've traveled to WDW MANY times with our kids from 4 months to almost teenagers. If you have specific questions let me know! :) Happy planning!

smk

We love All Star Sports! But then again we are a "sports" family, football, baseball, softball, cheer-leading and gymnastics all in my recent past. You name it, my kids played it! We have stayed at Music and liked it too, it just did not as much as we love Sports. Lots of good memories there and many more to make with our grandchildren!

popcenturylover

We have stayed at POP & AOA. They are both nice but AOA has POP beat in everything except, proximity to the main building. At AOA the only single rooms are the LM rooms which are a bit of a walk to the main building for little feet. The theming & pools are exceptional but, most are right in the fact that discounts aren't usually extended for AOA unless staying in a suite. I recommend a stroller for both of your children as it is a lot of walking. We've done the dining plan but, I only recommend it if you get it free. We've been there in June, August, September, & December. Of those times I would recommend September but as it interferes with school, I would recommend early June. We like bringing plenty of snacks, etc. but, that always depends on whether we are driving or flying. We buy Disney gift cards at Giant Eagle to get fuel perks. We buy glow sticks, autograph books(found Mickey & friends/Princess 40 page hardback journals for our upcoming trip), activity books, etc. at the dollar store to save some money. We usually stay 8 days/7 nights but, would recommend a rest day in the middle of your stay. Like others have said ROPE DROP & NAPS for sure!

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Oh my goodness! These replies are way more than I even hoped for! Thank you all so much!!

Look around the internet and see if you can find some DVC points to rent. It can save you a lot on accommodations and even a DVC studio will have a fridge, microwave, and toaster. Just a thought.

BigRedDad

My advice is to determine your budget first. From there, you can look at your requirements. You are going to have to make sacrifices.

1. Tickets: Lets assume it is is a 1 week trip. You are not going to get around the ticket price too much. You are at $1,300 there. Dropping to 4 days only saves you $100. There is very little room to save here.

2. Accommodations: Although not the popular choice, staying offsite can save quite a bit. If budget was an issue, my options are offsite first then Value resorts. I would be looking at the May time frame for lower prices. You may be able to get a room at Pop Century for around $100 a night. Offsite offers better amenities for the money and other ways to save lots of money. They have kitchens, 1 or 2BRs. You can make breakfasts, pack lunches, and cook dinners. This would be no different than at home, so the cost really isn't part of the budget.

3. Dining Plan: To me it is not worth it. The meal sizes are big enough for 2. We have always had credits left over and go home with a bag full of Mickey Rice Krispy Treats. This is a personal choice though. If you look at #2, you can save money by making lunches. Many, many people do this.

HollyAD

I would not go with the dinning plan with little kids. My son is so overwhelmed at WDW he doesn't eat. He basically snacks when he gets hungry. This is when uncrustables and other packable snakcs come in handy.

Pop is the best value for the money. It's sensory overload for little kids and adults too! I would shop around and look for deals. For example, WDW comes out with 15% off value rooms in early spring sometimes. I have also seen alternate sites like Orbitz do a %15 off code. You can still use DME and MDE with a third party booking.

For a first trip I would stay at least 5 nights. You could also save a little money by not adding the park hopper option to your tickets. You don't need to park hop everyday. We saved a lot of money not park hopping and we didn't miss it.

Kosmo1986

If you are not driving to Disney (or renting a car), I would not recommend staying off property. Although you can save a few bucks staying off property it is not convenient. Disney offers free parking and free wifi, which is not usually included in off site places. Disney has free transportation to and from the airport and the parks. Some off site hotels do offer the transportation to the parks but they have limited times available.

If you will have your own car, staying off site may be an option, but you will need to add in the $17 a day to park at the parks. Overall I think staying on site is a great idea and the kids will love the over the top themes you find in the value resorts!

arko

If you are not driving to Disney (or renting a car), I would not recommend staying off property. Although you can save a few bucks staying off property it is not convenient. Disney offers free parking and free wifi, which is not usually included in off site places. Disney has free transportation to and from the airport and the parks. Some off site hotels do offer the transportation to the parks but they have limited times available.

If you will have your own car, staying off site may be an option, but you will need to add in the $17 a day to park at the parks. Overall I think staying on site is a great idea and the kids will love the over the top themes you find in the value resorts!

If you have a car, staying on site makes very little sense, unless you want that immersion factor. Otherwise you can always find better hotels for much cheaper(including adding the 17$ for parking), with many that offer breakfast included. It also depends on what you plan to do. If you are going to spend most of your time at the parks, and your hotel room is little more than a room to sleep in, then spending all that extra money to stay on site does not make sense. However if you want to spend time at the pools etc, then it might be a good value.

PoorSkippy

As much as I enjoy staying onsite, you might want to look into offsite hotels for the savings. The cost of parking and other assorted "resort fees" may still end up being worth it for the savings on the room, and I've heard people say that they find leaving for breaks/naps more convenient with a car. You could also consider factoring in the cost of cabs into an offsite room if you aren't going to have a car. I've never done this myself, but the math may checkout, just a thought.

Another thing to consider about staying offsite is that since young children will likely tire out early, you can't usually take advantage of the Evening EMHs, and the parks with Morning EMHs are often the more crowded parks, so you could just go elsewhere for that day. Unfortunately, staying offsite also means a shorter Fastpass+ reservation window and for me that would be the dealbreaker...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom